Charlie Manson

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
CThomas

Charlie Manson

Post by CThomas » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm

This is a question that is partly just curiosity about an anecdote Steve told on a recent episode of the radio program and partly theological. The story, if I understood it correctly, was that the late Charlie Manson had at one point contacted Steve from prison and asked for a meeting. This was just an aside in response to a question and so no details were given. the first part of the question is simply what the circumstances night have been that led to Manson learning about Steve and why exactly he wanted a meeting. The second question is in response to Steve’s comment that he turned down the request. I can certainly understand and sympathize with that decision. But at the same time, might there also be an argument for presenting the gospel even to the worst of the worst in the hoping of facilitating repentance and conversion? Either way, a fascinating anecdote.

Homer

Re: Charlie Manson

Post by Homer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Something I found of interest regarding Manson was what a phony act he was. Manson was for some time incarcerated at Pelican Bay prison near Eureka, CA. Our daughter-in-law's brother has been employed at the prison for years and knew Manson pretty well. When Manson would get on TV for an interview or news program he acted like some deranged monster but out of the limelight in prison he was not that way at all.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:09 am

I didn't see this post until now. It apparently was posted on the first day that I was away at sea, which involved a twelve-day absence from the internet.

Charles Manson did not contact me directly, initially. A woman in our church was reaching out to him in prison, and gave him some of my materials. She asked him if he would like for me to visit him, and he said yes. I did not turn down the invitation, I drove the two hours from Santa Cruz to Vacaville and was turned away at the prison gate because I was wearing blue jeans, and no one had told me that visitors could not wear blue jeans, because they resembled the color worn by the prisoners. I would have gone to a store and bought a pair of other pants, but that was at a time in my life when I was dirt poor, and I literally had no money to do so. To go home and change, and then to return, would have taken four hours of driving—time (and gas expense) that I did not have. So I simply went home without seeing him. He did write to me the next week, however. His letter was mere nonsensical ravings, combining compliments and threats on my life. Obviously, I wish I still had the letter today, but in those years, I did not have any place to file such things, and I do not know what became of it.

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 am

Fascinating! Thank you for the answer. How bizarre.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”