Trinities podcast

darinhouston

Re: Trinities podcast

Post by darinhouston » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Seballius wrote:
Paidion wrote:Well... I don't think the Greek is contrary to the interpretation that Darin places on the expression.

Then there's Jehovah's Witnesses' interpretation to consider:
Thomas was simply using slang language, just as someone today might exclaim in response to an unexpected event, "My Lord!" or "Oh, my God!"
Hello Paidion

Have you seen examples of this in the literature of this time? I have not. Although I am sure you have read more than me.

I think it is unlikely that Thomas would use such an expression. As sensitive as the Jews were, such an expression via that manner of exclamation would probably be disrespectful if not blasphemous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tend to agree. Though I would also would think it unlikely that he would make such an overt declaration that Jesus was God without direct scriptural dialogue about it. Especially Considering the debates around circumcision and diet and that sort of thing. The argument for silence usually isn’t very strong. But in this case I think it is highly probative if not convincing.

Seballius

Post by Seballius » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Hello Darin

I do agree with you about White. About 10 years ago, I leaned towards Calvinism for a short time after reading R C Sproul’s book “Chosen by God”. One of the reasons, I went away from that leaning was the attitudes of men like White. I do find him abrasive, but he has studied the issue extensively and he knows NT Greek. Although I do think one always needs to consider the presuppositions of the presenter.

darinhouston

Trinities podcast

Post by darinhouston » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Seballius wrote:Hello Darin

I do agree with you about White. About 10 years ago, I leaned towards Calvinism for a short time after reading R C Sproul’s book “Chosen by God”. One of the reasons, I went away from that leaning was the attitudes of men like White. I do find him abrasive, but he has studied the issue extensively and he knows NT Greek. Although I do think one always needs to consider the presuppositions of the presenter.

I have little basis to prove this. But I often wonder how much Greek he really knows. He holds himself up as an authority and has great skills of bombast. But he often uses such certain and definite language and insists some rules are uniform that others seem to disagree with or on my lay investigation see is a recent discovery on little textual evidence.

But I’m a little out my depth on that.

Seballius

Post by Seballius » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm

I did read Tuggy’s book, What is the Trinity, this last week. It mainly focuses on the history and development of the doctrine in church history and the philosophical problems that he sees in it. He presents his points in an irenic fashion and that is refreshing. However, he does not dig into the actual biblical texts that are often debated.

Since reading his book, I have decided to go through the whole NT and write down all the descriptions that are given to Jesus. Let’s see how long that takes me. So far I have completed up to Matthew 14. It has surprised me, having a different set of eyes, how much Jesus subordinates himself to the Father.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Seballius, you wrote:I think it is unlikely that Thomas would use such an expression. As sensitive as the Jews were, such an expression via that manner of exclamation would probably be disrespectful if not blasphemous.
I brought it up only to present yet another view. I don't put any credence in it either.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 81.

Return to “The Trinity”