Fear of offending

Right & Wrong
darinhouston

Fear of offending

Post by darinhouston » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:12 am

I got this quote from a news article at http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=15176 about the danger of adulation of Obama. I love the quote even outside the context of the article.
Archbishop Charles Chaput wrote:"I like clarity, and there’s a reason why," began the archbishop. "I think modern life, including life in the Church, suffers from a phony unwillingness to offend that poses as prudence and good manners, but too often turns out to be cowardice. Human beings owe each other respect and appropriate courtesy. But we also owe each other the truth -- which means candor."

Paidion

Re: Fear of offending

Post by Paidion » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:26 am

The archbishop was right. We need to treat each other with courtesy and respect, and at the same time be open to share with them the truth as we understand it.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

schoel

Post by schoel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 pm

And be prepared to accept and prayerfully consider rebuke ourselves.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:03 pm

That is a good quote. Maybe a bit harder to apply what Schoel said as well, but equally necessary.

Ephesians 4:25 (KJV) Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
Suzana

dorianleigh

Post by dorianleigh » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Yes, this quote is so true. Adulation of leaders and denying their flaws, is so damaging to everyone.

There is such a fear amongst believers to speak the truth because of how they are treated, labeled and attacked when doing so. Proverbs tell us, "the wounds of a friend are better than kisses of deceit from an enemy." So many believers are terrified to speak the truth, so they resort to gossiping and backstabbing which is satan's way of causing believers to sin in this area.

"And be prepared to accept and prayerfully consider rebuke ourselves." by schoel

Yes, schoel, this is sadly missing from the body of believers......

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:28 pm

dorianleigh wrote:
..."And be prepared to accept and prayerfully consider rebuke ourselves." by schoel

Yes, schoel, this is sadly missing from the body of believers......
Of course we need to be careful to include ourselves in 'the body of believers' and consider whether it might be missing in us.
Suzana

dorianleigh

Post by dorianleigh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Suzana!

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Yes, I absolutely agree, the whole body, especially those who feel they are above reproach, need to take a look in the mirror.......Anyone who believes they are without sin, is hugely deceived.......

God Bless...

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:27 am

Dorian,

With each passing post it becomes more and more obvious to the rest of us - your real gripe with Steve is that he hasn`t asked you for a date. I dare say you`re crazy about him. It`s alright to be. We`ve all been in that position at some stage in our lives (I remember all too well how I`ve been churned up over certain women in my past). But the problem is, it removes all objectivity in your posts. And other people stop taking you seriously. In fact I suspect everyone already has done. And then the only who loses out is you. Please, Dorian, ask the Lord to help you get over him. There`s other "fish in the sea".

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:11 am

I think Ian is overstating the case, perhaps due to the same frustration that we all feel when we read your posts and cannot figure out what motivates you. Ian's theory probably is not so universally held among us as he suggests. However, I see him struggling, along with the rest of us, to understand your irrational behavior at this forum. It certainly has had me scratching my head, the past few days. I have to say that I, too, have wondered if it is due to an unhealthy interest, but I can not say that any theory has fully commended itself to me. It just doesn't make any sense why you have come here with such an attacking attitude, without having been provoked. I would ask you to at least answer the questions I posed to you at this location:

http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=120

If you continue to dodge them, we will not be able to put up with any more nonsense.

Return to “Ethics”