Jesus is God

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
commonsense

Re: Jesus is God

Post by commonsense » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:30 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 pm
Dwight - Apparently, you don't understand the Trinity belief - there are not 3 Gods, there is only one God in 3 persons, and if Mel is Jesus, then that doesn't add a God - there's still one God.
Jesus wasn't Mel. Jesus was ANOTHER priest in the "likeness" of Mel.
dwight92070 wrote:
Apparently you also are not familiar with the time frame of Abraham and Mel - approximately 430 years before God gave Moses the Law and the commandments. We have no indication that Mel was teaching at all, much less the Law, which wasn't even given for another 430 years.
Genesis 26:5 " Because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My commandments, My statutes and My Laws."
Apparently, there was a Law that was known prior to that time. Most likely, the Golden rule and the Ten commandments, as they become obvious in reading the Old Testament.
dwight92070 wrote:

Dwight - Apparently you also are not familiar with the New Testament teaching that we are made righteous, not by obeying the Law, but by having our sins forgiven because of Jesus' death and then receiving the indwelling Holy Spirit. Hebrews 8:13 tells us that the law is now obsolete - no longer in effect.
" Matt. 19:17 "If you want to inherit eternal life, you must obey His commandments."
"If anyone loves Me, he will keep My commandments. My father will love him and we will come to him and make our home with him."

The Levitical law became obsolete. The Law God ( Love others as yourself) still stands.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:15 pm

commonsense wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:30 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
Dwight - Apparently, you don't understand the Trinity belief - there are not 3 Gods, there is only one God in 3 persons, and if Mel is Jesus, then that doesn't add a God - there's still one God.
Jesus wasn't Mel.

Dwight - That's not what I see in the passage, but that still doesn't make 4 Gods.
dwight92070 wrote:
Apparently you also are not familiar with the time frame of Abraham and Mel - approximately 430 years before God gave Moses the Law and the commandments. We have no indication that Mel was teaching at all, much less the Law, which wasn't even given for another 430 years.
Genesis 26:5 " Because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My commandments, My statutes and My Laws."
Apparently, there was a Law that was known prior to that time. Most likely, the Golden rule and the Ten commandments, as they become obvious in reading the Old Testament.
dwight92070 wrote:

Dwight - I'll grant you that, but little is known about those laws - whether they were given publicly or just to Abraham, or what they were, etc. Also, when you mentioned the Law, you always capitalized it, which usually is a reference to the Mosaic law, so I thought that is what you were referring to.

Dwight - Apparently you also are not familiar with the New Testament teaching that we are made righteous, not by obeying the Law, but by having our sins forgiven because of Jesus' death and then receiving the indwelling Holy Spirit. Hebrews 8:13 tells us that the law is now obsolete - no longer in effect.
" Matt. 19:17 "If you want to inherit eternal life, you must obey His commandments."

Dwight - Jesus was speaking to the rich, young ruler. It was a time of transition from the Old Covenant to the New. He would not tell someone today to keep the Mosaic law, because that is obsolete. But he did tell this man to keep it, because the New Covenant had not been fully implemented until after He was crucified.

"If anyone loves Me, he will keep My commandments. My father will love him and we will come to him and make our home with him."

Dwight - Here we see Jesus is referring to His commandments, not Moses' - this is the law of Christ, as Paul called it. His first recorded commandment was to "Repent and believe the gospel", that is the New Covenant. We can obey every command of His, but if we don't first obey this one, we can't be saved.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 pm

Commonsense -

Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will), but I don't think Paul ever mentioned the law or laws of God prior to the Mosaic Law, (except possibly the "laws written on their heart", but that was not a written law) - nor did the author of Hebrews. So it seems like a moot point to even bring that up, unless you can show how that relates to Jesus being Mel or not.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 pm
Daren, D.A. Carson says that he believes that those of us who think Mel is a preincarnate appearance of Jesus are wrong, but he doesn't give any supporting scripture to back it up. If I missed it (because I didn't read everything he said on it), please tell me the scripture he used to support his view.
Well.... aside from Hebrews 7
dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 pm
Also, you keep reminding me to stay on topic or to start a new thread with a new topic. But both you and Paidon keep on mentioning the Trinity and now commonsense is too. But that's not the topic of this thread, even though it's related.
"Jesus is God" necessarily raises issues of the Trinity - it's not the same as raising completely new arguments outside the scope of a topic.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 pm
Commonsense -

Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will), but I don't think Paul ever mentioned the law or laws of God prior to the Mosaic Law, (except possibly the "laws written on their heart", but that was not a written law) - nor did the author of Hebrews. So it seems like a moot point to even bring that up, unless you can show how that relates to Jesus being Mel or not.
Dwight, I can work with what you say here. There were laws, even written laws, of other nations. But Abraham was called to leave these behind establish a new nation of people ( A people for God) established on the Law that is written in the heart and mind of all mankind ( the Rock, the word, the foundation) which comes from God. These are the two greatest commandments- the Ten commandments being an extension of these. Mel obeyed the Law written in the heart, as did Abraham. Jesus was like Mel in that He obeyed the Law written in the heart. All who obey the this Law are like Jesus, like Mel, like Abraham, made in the image of God. It's the Law written in the heart that is God. " My words are spirit and they give life"

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 am

Once again, I will ask any of you to name one mortal man (because that is what you believe Mel was), from the Bible or not, who can seriously and legitimately claim the title of "The king of righteousness" and, at the same time, the title of "The king of peace". If these titles do not refer to Jesus Himself, then Jesus has a rival - but any rival of Jesus cannot be mortal, since Jesus is immortal and eternal. Hebrews 7:2

Mel had no parents or genealogy, nor any beginning or end of his life. Like the incarnate Son of God, He REMAINS a priest PERPETUALLY. Mel is IMMORTAL. Hebrews 7:3

You guys are ignoring the context of the first 6 chapters of Hebrews, which is:
Jesus is greater than the Jewish prophets, greater than the angels, greater than Moses, greater than Joshua, greater than Aaron - Hebrews 1-6. Why, suddenly, would the author of Hebrews change the topic completely in chapter 7, to extol the greatness of a MORTAL MAN? On the contrary, the author is using the story of Melchizedek to illustrate that Jesus (Melchizedek) is greater than Abraham. The Jewish believers in particular, and all believers in Jesus, would take great comfort in knowing that the One to whom they have given their lives, not only met Abraham, and was highly respected by Abraham, but is also greater than Abraham.

Mel is specifically contrasted with "mortal men", and it was witnessed some 2,000 years after His meeting with Abraham - at the time of the writing of Hebrews - that He was still living. Hebrews 7:8

There cannot be two unlike priesthoods simultaneously. We know this from Hebrews 7:12, where we see that one priesthood was changed to another.

Melchizedek and Jesus are both qualified by the fact of their possessing endless life. Hebrews 7:15-16

If Jesus and Melchizedek are not the same person, then both of them could not hold that office, since it does not pass from one man to another, like the Aaronic priesthood did. Hebrews 7:23-24

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am

commonsense wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 am
dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 pm
Commonsense -

Dwight, I can work with what you say here. There were laws, even written laws, of other nations. But Abraham was called to leave these behind establish a new nation of people ( A people for God) established on the Law that is written in the heart and mind of all mankind ( the Rock, the word, the foundation) which comes from God. These are the two greatest commandments- the Ten commandments being an extension of these. Mel obeyed the Law written in the heart, as did Abraham. Jesus was like Mel in that He obeyed the Law written in the heart. All who obey the this Law are like Jesus, like Mel, like Abraham, made in the image of God. It's the Law written in the heart that is God. " My words are spirit and they give life"
I don't think it's necessary or helpful to focus on Mel's obedience. The passage makes no suggestion that he was perfect or even in any way particularly righteous personally with respect to the law or otherwise. He may well have been righteous (as others have been called righteous). But, the Early Middle East naming traditions are strange to us - the fact that his NAME was translated as king of righteousness does not necessarily imply he was perfectly righteous any more than translating king of peace implies he was perfectly peaceful, but perhaps that his kingship was associated with righteousness or that the priesthood he represented was about righteousness instead of the inferiority of the legalistic Aaronic/Levitical priesthood it was contrasted with. Perhaps as the type of Christ, it was Christ's righteousness that was in view, but in any event I think we try to hard when we take a name and support a Christophany from assuming the name implies moral perfection of the sort only true for Jesus.

This is really getting tiresome, but to answer your questions (some of them AGAIN)...
Dwight wrote:Once again, I will ask any of you to name one mortal man (because that is what you believe Mel was), from the Bible or not, who can seriously and legitimately claim the title of "The king of righteousness" and, at the same time, the title of "The king of peace". If these titles do not refer to Jesus Himself, then Jesus has a rival - but any rival of Jesus cannot be mortal, since Jesus is immortal and eternal. Hebrews 7:2
irrelevant and I disagree that the titles can't refer to someone else who isn't seen as a rival per se. Do you claim that the man Jesus was immortal while on earth? That's kind of a heresy, I think.
Dwight wrote:Mel had no parents or genealogy, nor any beginning or end of his life. Like the incarnate Son of God, He REMAINS a priest PERPETUALLY. Mel is IMMORTAL. Hebrews 7:3
I know you read at least part of DA Carson's article as but one view on this, but it's clear that most scholars believe this isn't a suggestion that Mel literally had no parents or genealogy but only that it isn't recorded or part of the narrative and that his priesthood doesn't derive from same. Also, I disagree that Mel is or ever was immortal (or at least that we're told this).
Dwight wrote:You guys are ignoring the context of the first 6 chapters of Hebrews, which is:
Jesus is greater than the Jewish prophets, greater than the angels, greater than Moses, greater than Joshua, greater than Aaron - Hebrews 1-6. Why, suddenly, would the author of Hebrews change the topic completely in chapter 7, to extol the greatness of a MORTAL MAN? On the contrary, the author is using the story of Melchizedek to illustrate that Jesus (Melchizedek) is greater than Abraham. The Jewish believers in particular, and all believers in Jesus, would take great comfort in knowing that the One to whom they have given their lives, not only met Abraham, and was highly respected by Abraham, but is also greater than Abraham.
I disagree that this is the context of Hebrews 7. Please see the outline I posted and earlier comments, but after talking about how Jesus was greater than these others, he then turns not to discuss the priesthood itself. You may not think it makes sense, but it's clearly what the author is doing. He explains how the priesthood is greater than the priesthood they were familiar with - I think it's largely an apologetic, recognizing the challenge to the Jews having Jesus as priest would have since he didn't inherit the priesthood from his heritage. It's a different type of priesthood - a better one - not a temporary and limited one - but a complete and forever one - and that had to be explained. This point really isn't really very controversial or difficult.
Mel is specifically contrasted with "mortal men", and it was witnessed some 2,000 years after His meeting with Abraham - at the time of the writing of Hebrews - that He was still living. Hebrews 7:8
Saying "he lives on" doesn't not imply immortality. We can't be sure how much of this is literal or figurative or in what sense he can be said to live on, but immortality is even further. It could be that he was taken like Elijah or otherwise, but most scholars (even Trinitarian ones) simply don't believe he is Jesus.
There cannot be two unlike priesthoods simultaneously. We know this from Hebrews 7:12, where we see that one priesthood was changed to another.
This is a good observation but hardly helpful. It is a bit odd in one sense - how can it be said that it is a perpetual never ending priesthood if it changed from the Levitical priesthood to the priesthood of Christ (along with the law) - it appears that one ended and another began and then we returned to the better one with the perfect High Priest for all time. It appears that context is key (as always). Clearly there are different contexts in view in most of this passage. This is a good example. From the point of view of the nation of Israel, the relevant priesthood changed when the Aaronic priesthood was established. That doesn't mean the eternal priesthood as represented by Mel and Jesus went away, but it wasn't the governing priesthood for them. The governing priesthood and the law was for a time Aaronic. Then, when Jesus came that regime ended - the priesthood changed as did the law (though the law also is said elsewhere not to have ended, but to have been fulfilled). We have to let context dictate what's in view - treating everything literally and without qualification or limitation as guided by other revelation leads to silly and fruitless doctrine. We don't let the obscure rule our doctrine.
Dwight wrote:Melchizedek and Jesus are both qualified by the fact of their possessing endless life. Hebrews 7:15-16
Their qualifications are more complex than that, and it's again not clear in what context Mel is said to be alive or at least in the same way as Jesus. But, it's possible. That isn't enough for me.
Dwight wrote:If Jesus and Melchizedek are not the same person, then both of them could not hold that office, since it does not pass from one man to another, like the Aaronic priesthood did. Hebrews 7:23-24
First, as a simple point of reason, we don't know there can't be more than one to hold a priesthood in that order - in the Levitical priesthood there were many priests even if there was a single "High Priest." Mel is nowhere called "High Priest." Jesus is.

In the end, if this was so obvious, it wouldn't be so universally believed otherwise by orthodox Trinitarians. It is possible you are right, of course, but your insistence that it is so patently obvious belies the vast majority of orthodox scholarship. Again, since proving this point was in no way the purpose of the passage in Hebrews, we have to give it some liberties in the language used. If the author was trying to show Jesus pre-existed or that he always had the priesthood, it would have been really easy to say this -- also, more fundamentally, the language is VERY clear that Jesus wasn't always this priest since he BECAME priest in part as a result of his lived life.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:58 am

Regarding Hebrews 7:8, here are only a few classic commentators - this "living forever" language though seen as difficult didn't lead them to the same conclusion you are so quick to reach. Not that they are any particular authority, these men can hardly be said to be heterodox on these matters and it's instructive at least to show that it's not as clearly evident as you seem so forcefully to suggest....

Clarke's Hebrews 7:8 Bible Commentary
Here men that die receive tithes - The apostle is speaking of the ecclesiastical constitution of the Jews, which was standing at the time this epistle was written. Under the Jewish dispensation, though the priests were successively removed by death, yet they were as duly replaced by others appointed from the same family, and the payment of tithes was never interrupted. But as there is no account of Melchisedec ceasing to be a priest, or of his dying, he is represented as still living, the better to point him out as a type of Christ, and to show his priesthood to be more excellent than that which was according to the law, as an unchanging priesthood must be more excellent than that which was continually changing.

But there he receiveth them - The ὡδε, here, in the first clause of this verse refers to Mosaical institutions, as then existing: the εκει, there, in this clause refers to the place in Genesis (Genesis 14:20) where it is related that Abraham gave tithes to Melchisedec, who is still considered as being alive or without a successor, because there is no account of his death, nor of any termination of his priesthood.

Barnes's Hebrews 7:8 Bible Commentary
And here men that die receive tithes - Another point showing the inferiority of the Levitical priesthood. They who thus received tithes, though by the right to do this they asserted a superiority over their brethren, were mortal. Like others, they would soon die; and in regard to the most essential things they were on a level with their brethren. They had no exemption from sickness, affliction, or bereavement, and death came to them with just as much certainty as he approached other men. The meaning of this is, that they are mortal like their brethren, and the design is to show the inferiority of their office by this fact. Its obvious and natural signification, in the apprehension of the great mass of readers, would not be, as the meaning has been supposed to be, that it refers "to the brief and mutable condition of the Levitical priesthood;" see Stuart in loco. Such an interpretation would not occur to anyone if it were not to avoid the difficulty existing in the correlative member of the verse where it is said of Melchizedek that "he liveth." But is the difficulty avoided then? Is it not as difficult to understand what is meant by his having an immutable and perpetual priesthood, as it is to know what is meant by his not dying literally? Is the one any more true than the other? Whatever difficulties, therefore, there may be, we are bound to adhere to the obvious sense of the expression here; a sense which furnishes also a just and forcible ground of comparison. It seems to me, therefore, that the simple meaning of this passage is, that, under the Levitical economy, those who received tithes were mortal, and were thus placed in strong contrast with him of whom it was said "he liveth." Thus, they were inferior to him - as a mortal is inferior to one who does not die; and thus also they must be inferior to him who was made a priest after the "order" of him who thus "lived."

But there - In contrast with "here" in the same verse. The reference here is to the account of Melchizedek, "Here," in the Levitical economy, men received tithes who are mortal; "there," in the account of Melchizedek, the case is different.

He receiveth them - Melchizedek - for so the connection evidently demands.

Of whom it is witnessed - Of whom the record is. There is not in Genesis, indeed, any direct record that he lives, but there is the absence of a record that he died, and this seems to have been regarded as in fact a record of permanency in the office; or as having an office which did not pass over to successors by the death of the then incumbent.

That he liveth - This is an exceedingly difficult expression, and one which has always greatly perplexed commentators. The fair and obvious meaning is, that all the record we have of Melchizedek is, that he was "alive;" or as Grotins says, the record is merely that he lived. We have no mention of his death. From anything that the record shows, it might appear that he continued to live on, and did not die. "Arguing from the record," therefore, there is a strong contrast between him and the Levitical priests, all of whom we know are mortal; Hebrews 7:23. The apostle is desirous of making out a contrast between them and the priesthood of Christ on "this point" among others, and in doing this, he appeals to the record in the Old Testament, and says that there was a case which furnished an intimation that the priestly office of the Messiah was not to pass over from him to others by death.

That case was, that he was expressly compared Psalm 110:4 with Melchizedek, and that in the account of Melchizedek there was no record of his death. As to the force of this argument, it must be admitted that it would strike a Jew more impressively than it does most readers now; and it may not be improbable that the apostle was reasoning from some interpretation of the passages in Genesis 14:and Psalm 110. which was then prevalent, and which would then be conceded on all hands to be correct. If this was the admitted interpretation, and if there is no equivocation, or mere trick in the reasoning - as there cannot be shown to be - why should we not allow to the Jew a uniqueness of reasoning as we do to all other people? There are modes of reasoning and illustration in all nations, in all societies, and in all professions, which do not strike others as very forcible. The ancient philosophers had methods of reasoning which now seem weak to us; the lawyer often argues in a way which appears to be a mere quirk or quibble, and so the lecturer in science sometimes reasons.

The cause of all this may not be always that there is real quibble or quirk, in the mode of argumentation, but that he who reasons in this manner has in his view certain points which he regards as undisputed which do not appear so to us; or that he argues from what is admitted in the profession, or in the school where he is taught, which are not understood by those whom he addresses. To this should be added also the consideration, that Paul had a constant reference to the Messiah, and that it is possible that in his mind there was here a transition from the type to the antitype, and that the language which he uses may be stronger than if he had been speaking of the mere record of Melchizedek if he had found it standing by itself. Still his reasoning turns mainly on the fact that in the case of Melchizedek there was no one who had preceded him in that office, and that he had no successor, and, in regard to the matter in hand, it was all one as if he had been a perpetual priest, or had continued still alive.

(The reasoning in the whole passage is founded on the Scripture account of Melchizedek. He is not to be regarded absolutely, but typically. View him just as he appears in the record in Genesis, and the difficulty will be greatly lessened, if it do not altogether disappear. There, he is presented to us, in his typical character, as living. All notice of his death is studiously omitted with the express design, that, appearing only as a living priest, he might the better typify our immortal Redeemer. In this view, which indeed is so well brought out in the commentary above, "the apostle's argument unto the dignity, and pre-eminence of Melchizedek above the Levitical priests, in this instance, is of an "unquestionable evidence." For, consider Melchizedek, not in his natural being and existence, which belongs not unto this mystery, but in his Scripture being and existence, and he is immortal, always living, wherein he is more excellent than those who were always obnoxious to death in the exercise of their office" - Owen. McKnight, observing that the Greek verb ζη zē here is not in the present, but the imperfect of the indicative, translates - lived, a priest all his life, in contradistinction from those who ceased to be priests at a certain age. But whatever view may be taken of the passage, whatever solution of the difficulty may be adopted, apology for the mode of reasoning may well be spared. An inspired writer needs it not. All his reasoning has, doubtless, a solid basis in truth. It is impossible he should proceed on any peculiarities or modes of reasoning, but such as are strictly true, the accuracy of which might, any where, and at any time, be admitted, by those who had the means and patience for a right understanding of them.)

Wesley's Hebrews 7:8 Bible Commentary
7:8 And here - In the Levitical priesthood. But there - In the case of Melchisedec. He of whom it is testified that he liveth - Who is not spoken of as one that died for another to succeed him; but is represented only as living, no mention being made either of his birth or death.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:00 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am

I don't think it's necessary or helpful to focus on Mel's obedience. The passage makes no suggestion that he was perfect or even in any way particularly righteous personally with respect to the law or otherwise. He may well have been righteous (as others have been called righteous). But, the Early Middle East naming traditions are strange to us - the fact that his NAME was translated as king of righteousness does not necessarily imply he was perfectly righteous any more than translating king of peace implies he was perfectly peaceful, but perhaps that his kingship was associated with righteousness or that the priesthood he represented was about righteousness instead of the inferiority of the legalistic Aaronic/Levitical priesthood it was contrasted with. Perhaps as the type of Christ, it was Christ's righteousness that was in view, but in any event I think we try to hard when we take a name and support a Christophany from assuming the name implies moral perfection of the sort only true for
Jesus.

Dwight - Utter nonsense! king of righteousness and king of peace mean exactly what any teenager would think they mean!

Do you claim that the man Jesus was immortal while on earth? That's kind of a heresy, I think.

Dwight - Of course He was! 1 Timothy 1:17 He would not have died, had He not voluntarily taken our sins upon Him. Try reading your Bible.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:02 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am

I don't think it's necessary or helpful to focus on Mel's obedience. The passage makes no suggestion that he was perfect or even in any way particularly righteous personally with respect to the law or otherwise. He may well have been righteous (as others have been called righteous). But, the Early Middle East naming traditions are strange to us - the fact that his NAME was translated as king of righteousness does not necessarily imply he was perfectly righteous any more than translating king of peace implies he was perfectly peaceful, but perhaps that his kingship was associated with righteousness or that the priesthood he represented was about righteousness instead of the inferiority of the legalistic Aaronic/Levitical priesthood it was contrasted with. Perhaps as the type of Christ, it was Christ's righteousness that was in view, but in any event I think we try to hard when we take a name and support a Christophany from assuming the name implies moral perfection of the sort only true for
Jesus.

Dwight - Utter nonsense! king of righteousness and king of peace mean exactly what any teenager would think they mean!

Do you claim that the man Jesus was immortal while on earth? That's kind of a heresy, I think.

Dwight - Of course He was! 1 Timothy 1:17 He would not have died, had He not voluntarily taken our sins upon Him. Try reading your Bible.
I'm done with your offensive rhetoric. I will not be discussing this matter with you further other than to say no one questions Jesus' present immortality and glory forever amen. It's prior to his ascension that is relevant to the question here. (notwithstanding whether the Father or Son is in view for 1 Tim 1:17)

PS, was Athanasius God, too? Only God is immortal... his name means immortality. Wow! Proof positive! Just read your church history and as long as you aren't stupid, you'll see this clear truth.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”