Ezekiel 38-39

_Albert

Ezekiel 38-39

Post by _Albert » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:55 pm

I found the following explaination for Gog and Magog on
www.stlukesrec.org/sermons02/4lent02.html and the reasoning seems sound.

Possibly the most persuasive and satisfying interpretation regards the first fulfillment of Ezekiel's Gog and Magog narrative in the book of Esther.

[See James B. Jordan, "The Battle of Gog and Magog" in Biblical Horizons , Nos. 2 and 3. The web site address is: www.biblicalhorizons.com/biblicalhorizons/ Also Gary DeMar's Last Days Madness ; 1999; pp. 363-9. Other commentaries consulted: Keil and Delitzsch, Iain Duguid, Daniel Block, Fairbairn, Lind, and Schroeder. Duguid's is by far the best. Rearden's quote from St. James Daily Devotional Guide . The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris, and The Rough Riders by Theodore Roosevelt.]

Let's consider that. How does Gog and Magog fit with the story line of Esther? You remember the events. Esther is the beautiful niece of Mordecai. She marries King Ahasuerus, the Persian King also known as Xerxes. When does this take place? It transpires many years after the Israelites had been led away captive by the Babylonians in 586 B.C. The Persians then conquered the Babylonians and started treating the Jews much better. They allowed the Jews to return to the Promised Land. Joshua the High Priest and Zerubbabel had just begun rebuilding the Temple destroyed by the Babylonians. Ezra had not yet restored the temple, and Nehemiah would soon return to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. At this moment in history Esther became queen.

Then the book of Esther tells us about Haman, the number two man in the Persian Empire. Haman hatches a plot to annihilate each and every Israelite throughout the land, and plunder their possessions (Esther 3:13). Some Jews had returned to Jerusalem, but most were still scattered over the 127 provinces of Persia ranging from India to Ethiopia and everywhere else (Esther 8:9). Haman's plan was first to hang Queen Esther's uncle Mordecai on a gallows fifty cubits high. Second, to organize his followers to slaughter the Israelites. And third, to plunder all their property and belongings. He even got the King to sign a decree giving the raid a stamp of approval. However, Mordecai found out about Haman's plot and notified his niece. The day of extermination drew near, and the Jews were in fear, fasting and praying. Then Esther stepped to the plate. She had the courage to confront King Ahasueras and convince him that Haman's scheme was evil. What happened? The entire conspiracy was foiled. The outcome was reversed. Instead of Mordecai, it was Haman whom they hanged high on the gallows. The Jews were given permission to destroy their enemies, the very people who were on the verge of murdering them. The result was the death of 75,000 of Haman's allies.

What are the connections between Gog and Magog of Ezekiel, and the events of Esther? There are several. The regions involved in both passages encompass the extensive boundaries of the Persian Empire. So there is a geographical similarity. Then, the plunder idea is analogous: in both texts evil tyrants try to plunder the Church and instead are plundered themselves. What's more, the quantity of soldiers killed is commensurate; a huge number expire in both accounts. Furthermore, both Ezekiel and Esther highlight the burial of the dead. Ezekiel 39:11 tells us that Gog and his followers were buried in the Valley of "Hamon Gog." That is interesting. When the prophet Ezekiel tells us that the dead were interred at the Valley of Hamon Gog, maybe that is Ezekiel's way of uniting Haman with Gog. Thus, Haman is Gog, Gog is Haman, and Ezekiel's portrayal of Gog and Magog is a prophecy of what would happen after Esther became queen, a prophecy that has already been fulfilled.

THE ABOVE IS A PARTIAL QUOTE FROM THE SITE. ALSO
THE SITE www.biblicalhorizons.com/biblicalhorizons QUOTED AS A REFERENCE IS INTERESTING.

1. HAMAN IS ELEVATED TO "SET HIS SEAT ABOVE ALL THE PRINCES OF THE KING" ESTHER 3:1 NOTICE IN EZ 38:2 THE CHIEF(ROSH) PRINCE OF MESHECK AND TUBAL. GOG IS NOT CALLED A KING

I AM PRESENTLY PERSUADED TOWARDS THIS INTERPRETAION OF EZEKIEL 38-39

ALBERT FROM PACIFIC GROVE
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_roblaine

Post by _roblaine » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi Albert,

Very interesting! I recently read the book of Esther to my boys and this exact thought went through my head. I made the connection and considered the possibilities, but was wanting to do some research to see if anyone else had considered this before. Thanks for the links, I will certainly look and them further.

Thank you,
Robin
Reason:
God Bless

_MoGrace2u

Post by _MoGrace2u » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:09 pm

That is an interesting study. Haman however was an Agagite, a descendant of Amalek (a descendant of Esau) - a sworn enemy of Israel since Ex 17:8+. This makes it hard to see him as a part of Ezekiel's Gog/ Magog battle. Although, he is in service to the Persians at this time, which Ezekiel includes in 38:5.

The strength of this view I think lies in the 127 provinces into which the proclamation was sent which covers India to Egypt (Hamongog = multitude). Also, Haman's wrath and greed is certainly Satanic (Gog) for this slight from Mordecai. He expects to take a great spoil from this endeavor which he offers in advance to the king to get this decree from him. And also offers the spoil to any who will engage in destroying the Jews - utilizing greed again to accomplish his goal. This is Satan's bait to draw upon the sinful lust of men to accomplish his goals - covetousness & deceit.

As such I think there is something to see here in how John draws on this prophecy to show us Satan's "little season" at the end in Rev 20:7-9, which leads to his ultimate destruction. Coveting and idolatry also seem to go hand in hand in scripture when men turn to wickedness. The irony of Haman's end is also notable as he is hung upon the gallows he built for Mordecai.

Ezekiel is the prophet during the Babylon Captivity which places his prophecy before these events found in Esther, so the timing is reasonable. I too would like to hear what others think about this.
Reason:
Robin

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:39 pm

I read Esther again with the present view in mind and then re-read Eziekel. I find it similar but with the language used it is a little ify for me. However, I am willing to accept it as so since it is the best explanation I have seen so far.
Reason:

_sab

Post by _sab » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:15 am

Sandy Teplinsky in her book, "Why Care About Israel," identifies Haman (or the spirit of Haman) like anti-Semitism today. This would tie in with the attitude in Gog that would motivate them to attack Israel. I don't see either Haman or Gog plundering the church. It is against Israel/Jews. Gog/Magog is possibly going to have Eastern Orthodox affiliations.

I'll have to re read Esther with new eyes.

That Haman was hanged on the gallows he prepared for Mordecai - cursing for cursing - if you curse Israel you will be cursed. There are so many examples of that throughout history - I just saw one more on TV recently - the fire-bombing of Dresden in 1945 - many people suffocated in the bomb shelters - many were burned - Hitler gassed and burned the Jews... (I'm German - my family was in Hamburg)
Reason:

Return to “Major and Minor Prophets”