Nature of man and music

_mexicana

Nature of man and music

Post by _mexicana » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:03 am

What is the nature of man? Is he a filthy wretch that can create nothing of beauty or truth? Or is he an unredeemed man that is capable of creating beauty in part and imparting truth in part? Is every song that Pink Floyd, Neil Young, or CCR wrote utterly wicked? Or what about Irish Dance music?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Dios le bendega

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:17 am

Certain views of the depravity of man would suggest that, in his natural state, a man is so full of sin that everything that he creates is necessarily vile and offensive to God. "An evil tree cannot produce good fruit" (Matt.7:18).

Some say that even a natural man's "good works" are an offense to God—"All of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" (Isa.64:6).

It has been said, by some, that all instrumental music is impure, because the first inventor of musical instruments was a descendant of Cain's (Gen.4:21)!

None of this reasoning strikes me as valid. We are never told that Cain's descendants were all bad men, and we are explicitly told that a son cannot be judged by the deeds of his father (Ezek.18). The invention of musical instruments might have been one of the more positive developments to have come from Cain's family.

The verses about bad trees and filthy rags are referring to certain specific bad people (false prophets and apostate Israel, respectively), and are not anthropological statements in general.

We know of at least one unregenerate heathen whose behavior pleased God—Cornelius (Acts 10:1-4). His example gives occasion to question the universalization of biblical statements about human depravity.

Certainly all have sinned, and therefore the unregenerate man's works cannot be untainted by self-interest—but this is not a factor limited to the unregenerate. God can also, sometimes, say to Christians, "I have not found your works perfect before God" (Rev.3:2).

Music, apparently, has its origins in heaven. At least, we read of a great deal of singing and harp-playing going on there. It is not likely that the inhabitants of heaven adopted musical activities by following the lead of earthly musicians. More likely, the musical talents and inclinations of men are a reflection of God's delight in music, which was probably a feature of His celestial environment long before men were on the earthly scene.

Certain animals can be said to "sing" (e.g., birds and whales), but there is probably little real "creativity" or originality in their songs. More likely, it is programmed into them as the migration cycles of certain species are programmed into them.

Man alone, apparently, is created in the image of God, and is thus a creator also. Music is one major outlet for this creative urge. No doubt, God is most pleased with music that comes from a heart devoted to Him, and which is composed consciously for His glory, but this does not mean that He finds all other music "sinful" or offensive.

The devil has been smart enough to exploit the awesome power of music over the human emotions, and has twisted the creative talents of many a musician to promote uncleanness and rebellion against God. No one who has observed the music scene will wish to deny this. However, that does not necessarily mean that every non-Christian who expresses his musical proclivities has been fully co-opted by Satan or is producing propaganda for the kingdom of darkness.

I will sometimes listen to selected secular music. Obviously, most of it was not written with a conscious motive to glorify God. However, if "to the pure, all things are pure" (Tit.1:15), then it is possible that some songs written for secular purposes may serve to elevate the heart of a Christian to godly thoughts.

For example, much non-religious music is instrumental, without lyrics. Whatever the composer may have had in mind, it is possible for a Christian to give glory to God in his own heart as a result of being inspired by a piece of music that was not written with God's glory in the mind of the composer.

Even music with secular lyrics can be edifying to the spiritual man. I remember, in the late 70's, when Larry Norman (a Christian rock star) began to write some secular-sounding love songs and including them on his albums. He received a lot of criticism from legalistic Christians for recording songs that were not straightforward Gospel messages (personally, I liked his songs about Jesus much better than his love songs). Discussing this criticism at one of his concerts, he said, "I can certainly understand people getting upset about this. After all, what does Jesus have to do with love?"

The truth is, to a genuine Christian, Jesus has to do, not only with love, but also with "whatever you do, whether in word or in deed" (Col.3:17). A song, written by a secular artist, which celebrates love, or appreciation for nature, or some other innocuous topic, can easily and legitimately be translated, through the filter of the Christan mind, into an inspiration to godly love and romance or a godly appreciation for nature.

Obviously, many secular songs have impure themes. Many Christians wisely avoid listening to such—especially when those songs revive impure thoughts, images and emotions from one's own pre-Christian background. However, one must not judge another about such matters as listening to such music. We are commanded to think on such things as are pure and praiseworthy (Phil.4:8), but every mind is unique in its reactions to various stimuli. It may be possible for one Christian's thoughts to be raised to think on godly things through the stimulus of a song or poem that would inspire ungodly impulses in another.

Hearing a song from Neil Young, Cat Stevens, or the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album may remind some of my contemporaries of their immoral or drug-filled past. Hearing those songs reminds me of driving to Calvary Chapel in the days of the revival, listening to the eight-track before there were contemporary Christian albums available. Such songs (strange as it may seem) can take me back, in my mind, to some of the most edifying memories of my past, and lift my thoughts to God—not because of the words of the songs, but because of the era they evoke. If some of my readers cannot relate to this, and feel skeptical, I feel no need to convince them nor to obtain their approval about this.

Every year or so, I pull out my old tapes by secular artists like Jackson Browne, Simon and Garfunkel or David Wilcox. There are some impure songs on these albums, which I skip over, because I find them offensive. However, some of the tracks on these albums that other Christians might be personally bothered by are actually edifying to me.

I never used drugs or engaged in illicit sexual relations in my youth, so these old songs do not bring such memories or images to my mind, as they do for some. Listening to Jackson Browne sing about his cocaine addiction (for example), or trying to give wise (worldly) advice to his son, whose mother committed suicide, actually brings tears to my eyes, and puts me in touch with a world that I have never personally lived in, but which is very real to many people all around me, to whom I would like to relate at some level.

I sometimes feel that I need a periodical "reality check" to remind me of the pain and "emptiness" (one of the most common words in Jackson Browne's early songs) that is a part of the lives of people outside the protective Christian bubble where I live most of my life. Having known the Lord since my childhood, I have no first-hand knowledge of the phenomenon of spiritual "emptiness." It is a healthy thing for me to have my heart made sensitive to the realities of others through the instrumentality of a poignant secular song.

Where a more religious person than myself might react with indignation at such frank admissions of personal failure and moral weakness as are found in such songs, I am not sure that God always recoils so violently. Not only is God not mocked, but also, I believe, God is not shocked. Certain worldly songs exult in their rebellion against God, but others seem to bemoan it. How does God feel about a song expressing the broken-heartedness of a songwriter who does not know God and who has lost the only worldly consolation he or she has known in the form of a human romantic relationship? Is God's reaction, "Well, it serves them right!" or does it break His heart in sympathy with the prodigal whose sinful life has turned tragic?

Jesus, the friend of sinners, may have more sympathy for the writers of such songs than we imagine, given our legalistic and judgmental tendencies (by which we may more resemble the Pharisees than Jesus). I don't want to recast God in my own image, but I tend to think that, even more than myself, He pities the sinner, and is not offended by the sinner's creative expression of his misery in song. God has viewed many atrocities in human history, I doubt that the writing of a love song by an unsaved artist rates high in His list of abominations.

In this response, I have wandered far beyond the concerns of your original question, but my musing all fall into the general category of your concern. These are my thoughts, for better or for worse.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_mexicana

Post by _mexicana » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:36 pm

Thanks a lot Steve, you answered my ponderance, shall we say, well and to the point. I thought that your reply was not at all off the original topic.

God bless you
James
Reason:
Dios le bendega

Return to “Miscellaneous”