Are denominational distinctives important?

_schoel

Are denominational distinctives important?

Post by _schoel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:53 am

There are many Christian "denominations" that hold to the same fundamental truths of the Gospel, but differ on secondary issues.

I realize that individual believers have the freedom to differ on the second, but do we need to split into factions based on these unclear and controversial issues?
Is this inevitable?
Or is this a healthy way to maintain unity in the Body of Christ?

Is it unhealthy to repress other opinions on these secondary issues from being discussed?

What does the Bible say about this?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:43 am

Hi Schoel,

I've wrestled with this very issue over the last several months. I find no biblical justification for doctrinal based sects in Christianity and in fact, a stern rebuke against it (read 1Cor Chapters 1 through 4).

Also, Jesus said:

Mark 9:40-41
40 For he who is not against us is on our side.
NKJV

As far as I can tell from scripture, unity is never defined by everyone believing the same way about everything, but rather "loving" and "forbearing" with one another. Paul said to:

2 Tim 2:22-23
pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.
NKJV

I don't mind groups congregating together according to style preferences, but I know from experience that it is very damaging for an organization to draw innappropriate lines in the sand based on non-essential issues that unnecessarily divide the body of Christ. Not only are congregations divided, but long term friendships are lost as well when someone simply changes their views on some secondary issue. It's not right, and it's not of God.

1 Cor 1:13
13 Is Christ divided?
NKJV
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Some details on why I ask:

The pastor of the church I attend goes to great lengths to communicate that those with denominational distinctives different from our church are still brothers and sisters in Christ and he allows the freedom for those in other fellowships and those in his to believe differently.

However, to be involved in certain types of service in the church (teaching, worship leader, etc) requires adherence to the secondary beliefs of the church. The concern is voiced that it might be "confusing" for new believers or other members of the congregation if someone in a leadership position voiced a different belief on one of the distinctives.

Biblically, is this approach considered divisive or within the authority of a local congregation of the Body of Christ?
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi Dave,

This is Deja vu for me. It sounds like you might have some of the same issues I had several months ago. Since you and I attended the same denomination, it doesn't surprise me. I say "attended" (past tense) because I have recently left that church because of issues related to this that escalated to a level that was not honoring to God.

I don't wish to publicly defame an organization on the forum so if you would like more details, e-mail me and I'd be happy to share more with you.

I personally don't believe you pastor has a biblical leg to stand on. But I would like to let Steve answer your questions if he is willing because I believe he can do so more objectively than I am able to at the moment.

Lord bless.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_JD

Post by _JD » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:15 pm

Guys, I too once attended the denomination that rhymes with Calorie Snapple. Great place, with spots and blemishes, like other denominations.

Regards,
JD
Reason:

_

autonomous but inter-connected

Post by _ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:55 am

I'm in the odd place (as an avid Church historian) of seriously appreciating the contributions of various denominations and historical threads of the Church but having no desire to align myself with a particular denomination. I'm the pastor of a small church and based on my experience and my understanding of general ecclesisological thrust of the New Testament, I don't see denominationalism as very healthy or useful. Nor do I see it as the future. I am always a bit leary of predicting the future trends of the Church or coming across as wanting to be cutting-edge, but I see the universal Church as heading toward (as it began) expressing itself primarily in individual, local, autonomous but inter-connected church communities.

I think drawing from the well of 2,000 years of various Christian tradition and expression can help make us live out our faith now holisticly. To stubbornly draw from one spring and shun the rest is crippling. Even the most open denominations seem to suffer from some degree of inability to freely tap into these roots.

At the same time, it can be a bit scizophrenic (not to mention faddish) to constantly be trying on new hats all the time as well. This is similar to the problem that our entire culture is having adjusting to the paradox of multiculturalism. In trying to be 'mulitcultural' we end up watering everything down or doing everything half-heartedly.

Still, what makes it different in Christianity is that while it's nice to spice church up with different historical expressions, we can indeed all gather around the essentials of a faith that welcomes, redeems, and transcends all cultures and differences of expression.

Nuff said for now.
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 am

I just preached on this topic. Here are my notes

http://knewkingdom.blogspot.com/2008/01/true-unity.html
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

Return to “General”