Gluttony

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
selah

Re: Gluttony

Post by selah » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:08 am

darinhouston wrote:I'm not sure I agree with you, Homer. I do think cigarettes (or anything, really) can become a sin if it grabs hold of your life and you allow it to control you -- it can become like an idol for people. I've never had a "moral" issue with smoking (though it does disgust me, personally). I believe that anything you become enslaved to is another master, and should be avoided. For some (maybe even many/most), even sports obsession or tv enslavement can be a sin.

I don't see this as inventing sins.
A person being led by the Holy Spirit won't overindulge in anything; overindulgence is sin. As Paul stated, some believers see one thing as a sin and another thing as NOT a sin. (Personally, I agree with darinhouston about smoking.) I also agree that anything one becomes enslaved in, that is sin. The way I understand it, we are to only be a slave to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, so enslavement/overindulgence to sports, tv, money, even relationships (ex: people who cling or constantly long for relationship) To me, overindulgence in anything, is sin.

Homer wrote
If we define gluttony as "greedy and voracious eating and drinking", that would seem to be the sin Paul refers to. This isn't the same as overeating which I referred to when I called in to Steve.

I am troubled by the tendency to "invent" sins. I have heard smoking spoken of, from the pulpit, as though it is some sort of terrible sin. The only scriptural basis for this is that it is harmful to the body, although some smokers live to a ripe old age. And so do some who eat too much. In regard to eating, when does it become a sin? I know a lady who seems to eat twice as much as her husband, and neither are overweight. So it must be the amount eaten that causes one to be overweight that is sinful. But then, suppose the overweight person lives to be 90 years old, as a friend of ours did. Is he excused because of his long life, while my father, who was overweight and died of a heart attack at 65, guilty of sin? And what of those who do not exercise as they should? There is no end to this.

It seems to me the real sin in regard to food is the greedy part.
Homer, I hope it is welcome for me to answer your question about excuses. I think that length-of-life is not the point; the focus is whether one is abiding by the Spirit's leading.

There are slim people who eat great quanitities of food and health professionals say they may be less healthy than overweight people. My 100 year old great aunt is still alive and well, but she ate chocolate everyday of her adult life (she said) until she went into a nursing home. Was that a sin to eat so much chocolate? Maybe, if the Holy Spirit didn't want her to, or maybe not. This as a personal matter between the eater and the Lord.

Homer, would you help me understand what your definition of 'overeating' is? I think "greedy and voracious eating and drinking" defines the word 'overeating.' It seems to me that rather a person overeats in public, like I Cor 11 mentions, or rather they overeat in the privacy of their home, isn't that still greedy? I mean, the food overeaten in public could be shared with others, and the food overeaten in privacy could be saved for someone else too, or saved for another time. The time and money spent on overeating, and the lethargy afterwards are not indicative of good stewardship. In other words, there is more to overeating than just the act of eating. Even one's legacy, testimony or example can be strengthened by gaining the victory over gluttony.

I looked up the word "voracious" in the dictionary and it states that it means: "eager to consume great amounts of food, ravenous...insatiable appetite." Thus, I think any overeating is coming from a place of greed and voraciousness. I remember listening to a teaching of Steve Gregg's and he said something like overeating was a sign of "character weakness." Don't quote me on that, but he said something like that. All I know is that he linked overeating to ones' character. I really had to examine that because I had always thought overeating was for "comfort" or "cover" to "relax" or feel "safe." But after I gave his perspective some careful thought, I realized that he is right. I believe that one definition of "character" is: that decision one makes when no one else is around. So if this is the definition of 'character,' then overeating in private is an act of poor character and greed, and it may also be comforting, relaxing and providing a sense of safety. Then there is another type of overeater: people who graze (they don't eat a lot all at once, but eat all day long). They would more than likely agree that they have an insatiable appetite. A final category eat--or don't eat(anorexia)--to assert power. They think, "I can do this and you can't stop me!").

I think that any over-consumption of any thing the Lord gives us is poor stewardship, and it would be greedy to use what the Lord gives us for that purpose which the Lord does not want it to be used. This is a really good thread for me right now because I am getting over a terribly severe reaction to multiple food allergies and environmental elements. Having severe allergies has forced me to examine my eating habits and attitudes about food and items in my home/everywhere.

As a result, the fact that absolutely everything in our personal environment is a gift from God, our "Father of Lights" seems evident. The question is what will be done with it? The answer, if it is NOT sin, must be what the Lord leads. So as in all of life, I believe those of us who eat ;) must seek to be led by the Holy Spirit at all times. Big call, I know, and not humanly possible, even when walking with the Lord daily, we all slip up (sin) in one way or another.

God bless :)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

wwalkeriv

Post by wwalkeriv » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 am

The following passage is a prelude to Paul's instruction on sexual immorality, but I think it gets the point across that the sin is when you are controlled by the food. As Paul states we must remember that our bodies belong to Christ; therefore, we must treat them as such.

1 Corinthians 6
12"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13"Food for the stomach and the stomach for food"—but God will destroy them both. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:11 am

Aside from the personal enslavement and "eating disorder" issues, I can say that I have been to "spreads" (which I have enjoyed very much and sometimes even hosted) where I have stood back and been reminded (by the Spirit or otherwise) of what excess and self-indulgence it represented. One man's indulgence is another man's modesty, I guess, but I am not infrequently reminded in some of the professional and social circles I find myself in of the Roman epicurean excesses that led to such things as vomitoriums while others starved in the streets.

In a sense, this is simply a question of stewardship and sanctification, I guess, but I do think we should at least recognize that there's a point (and many in modernity including myself probably cross it) where excess of all sorts can become sin.

Murf

Post by Murf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 am

Mark 7:15 there is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man. (NASB)
Homer wrote:Here is what might be a "worst case" of sinful eating:
I'm not sure this story points to "sinful eating" as much as it describes sinful unloving people who happen to be eating.
Paidion wrote:Proverbs 23:2 ... put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. NIV
Proverbs 23:2 And put a knife to your throat If you are a man of [great] appetite. (NASB)

This is where translations can be helpful and/or confusing. My version implies anything you put before God is trouble includeing food but not exclusively.

tim

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 am

Darin wrote:
I do think cigarettes (or anything, really) can become a sin if it grabs hold of your life and you allow it to control you -- it can become like an idol for people. I've never had a "moral" issue with smoking (though it does disgust me, personally). I believe that anything you become enslaved to is another master, and should be avoided. For some (maybe even many/most), even sports obsession
(my underline)

I certainly agree with you there. I have long since recognized that years ago I made fishing a sin. I was into fly fishing, good fishing was near where we lived, and I went about 80 times a year. Wasn't a Christian then.

Selah wrote:
A person being led by the Holy Spirit won't overindulge in anything; overindulgence is sin.
So could we say that anyone who is overweight has overindulged in food? After all, they have obviously consumed more than necessary. Look around at church. How many overweight people are there? Perhaps they are trying hard to lose weight. Should we lay the burden of "sinner" on them? Are they any more or less guilty than the smoker?

Disclaimer: I tried smoking when I was young; pipe, cigarettes, and cigars. Didn't like any of it so I have been a non-smoker all my life. I wish people wouldn't smoke, but I am not going to condemn them. Eating bacon is very unhealthy too. When we became Christians (again), my wife had smoked for about twenty years. She believed she should quit, and did, for which I am very thankful. She says it was the hardest thing she ever did in her life.

I have been a sports fan all my life. When does this form of entertainment become a sin? When I became a Christian, one of the things I thought of before I did was that I would miss Sunday morning football. I gave it up and went to church, which I never miss unless unable to attend. Even when travelling we find a church to attend, planning ahead so we can gather with the Lord's people. So is watching football and reading about it OK at other times?

And Selah wrote:
Homer, I hope it is welcome for me to answer your question about excuses. I think that length-of-life is not the point; the focus is whether one is abiding by the Spirit's leading.---------------- Maybe, if the Holy Spirit didn't want her to, or maybe not. This as a personal matter between the eater and the Lord.
You are more than welcome to respond. :D The problem for me is that it is difficult to know what God wants me to do. When is it God and when is it my mental impression? (you might want to see the thread regarding Gary Friesen's book under the "Teachers & Authors category".)

My concern is that we may be like Pharisees, heaping burdens on people they are unable to bear by focusing on trivial matters the scriptures do not address, or at least only address indirectly. Someone struggling to attain the proper weight doesn't need to have the "sinner" label slapped on them.
Homer, would you help me understand what your definition of 'overeating' is?
I think that it is clearly sin when our consumption causes someone else to do without food. I do not think that if I eat a little more mashed potatoes and gravy that the poor orphan in Africa is going to be affected one way or the other.

Another disclaimer: My doctor, at my recent check-up, said I was only slightly overweight, holding his thumb and finger about an inch apart. :)

My original point in calling Steve was to establish that overeating, in my opinion, is a lesser sin than a sin where temptation is more easily avoided. When you contemplate eating that piece of pie offered to you when you are no longer hungry, and consider the host who labored to make that pie, and might feel bad when you refuse, the temptation is much harder to avoid than some sin where you must get yourself ready, get in your car, and drive somewhere to indulge. And in the latter case, if it was a sin, I would think you would be more culpable.
Last edited by Homer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TK

Post by TK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:59 am

hey homer- maybe if you only fished 75 times a year it wouldnt be a sin..

i think you make very good points and I am in agreement.

TK

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:36 pm

I hear ya, Homer, but moving from food -- working out surely is not a sin, right?

For a good number of Christians I know, triathlons and marathons, etc. have become very popular, and you're almost considered a sloth if you don't run 5-10 miles per day and take on a 20 mile something on the weekend.

I do understand this might sound overly judgmental, but from my perspective, these people simply have an obsession with "self" and are focusing on their bodies in a way that is at best not healthy, and at worst a sin. Aside from the immense amount of time they spend doing it (with small children, no less -- even moms), they are tearing down their bodies, having knee problems, "female" problems, one just got run over by a bike in a triathlon and can't properly care for her kids, and for what?! for the satisfaction of pushing their bodies beyond what they were intended to be pushed, "neglect"ing (in my opinion) the presence at home (yes, it's hard to be home with young kids - I get that! believe me! I'd rather be running, myself, sometimes).

10+ years ago, it was body-building, and folks spent hours per day in the gym -- all this is an attempt to "control" their bodies just as one with an eating disorder might try to do.

I'm just saying that this can't be honoring to God, even if they do it with a church-sponsorship and have "I Run For Jesus" on their shirts.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Darin,

I was a jogger myself and quit when a knee started bothering me. I was only a "minimalist" about it, never competitive, just enough for health. I did not have a physically demanding job, so I would jog about three miles every other day, and never went more than five miles.

A friend we used to attend church with was into the competitive body building/weight lifting thing some years back. He won Mr. America for the 40 and older category. Now he has terminal brain cancer (5 years to live) and is full of praise for God. He goes around to various churches giving testimony about how the body building was all for his ego, showing a tape of his appearance and interview on ESPN, and telling people ego is an acronym for Edging God Out. He definitely believes his obsession was sinful.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:14 pm

I just think it's like anything else -- there's nothing inherently wrong with food, a cigarette, a moderate exercise regimine, a modest dance, an occasional sporting event, etc. Anything can be abused and become sin in either excess or through personal conviction, and nothing should be avoided for mere legalism.

I think the Roman Petronius put it well: "moderation in all things, including moderation."

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 am

Pertinent article on overeating:

When Unhealthy Foods Hijack Overeater's Brains

Return to “Radio Program Topics”