Reliability of the Gospels

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
JayFromOmaha

Reliability of the Gospels

Post by JayFromOmaha » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:41 am

So how was the lecture last night?

I can't wait to listen to it...how long before it is available for download?

Jess

Re: Reliability of the Gospels

Post by Jess » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:50 am

Hi Jay,

If you are referring to Steve's talk about "The reliability of the Gospels in light of modern media challenges" held in Oregon this past weekend it was outstanding. Steve presented a very complete and reasoned rebuttal to the You tube video called "Zeitgeist" by Peter Joseph. There are three parts to the video, the first of which deals with his theories about the origins of Christianity.

He maintains in the video that Jesus was not a historical figure but that the writings about Him were based on elements borrowed from earlier religions and myths. Mythical figures such as Horace, Attis, Krishna, Dionesian, Mithras have legends about them such as virgin births, rising from the dead, leading a group of twelve disciples, performing miracles, being born on December 25th, etc..

Steve did a very good job of taking us through relevant scriptures and extra-biblical documents which debunk virtually all of Joseph's assertions. The lecture lasted almost two ours so it would be very difficult to summarize here but it will definitely be worth listening to once posted on line!

He plans follow-up presentations which will cover Dan Brown's "DaVinci Code" and Bart Erman's "Misquoting Jesus".

In Him,

Jess

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 am

Did you know James White debated Ehrman yesterday in Florida on his "Misquoting Jesus" propositions? The video and audio should be available soon. I think White's on more solid ground in this debate than his Calvinism. He does an excellent job with Roman Catholic debates, because there are so many "factual" issues to engage in the debate. Much of his Calvinism is philosophical and so it's hard to have a rational debate on that subject -- this is different because he's dealing with something he's quite good at -- assessing large volumes of literature and scholarship to put someone to their proof and to keep them from getting away with misleading people who haven't read original sources, etc.

featheredprop

Post by featheredprop » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:23 pm

darinhouston wrote:Did you know James White debated Ehrman yesterday in Florida on his "Misquoting Jesus" propositions? The video and audio should be available soon...
Darin,

If you find that the audio portion of the Ehrman/White debate is made available any where, please let me know. I'd enjoy listening to it.

Thanks!

peace,

dane
"...the hope of the whole world rests on the shoulders of a homeless man" Rich Mullins

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:27 pm

featheredprop wrote:
darinhouston wrote:Did you know James White debated Ehrman yesterday in Florida on his "Misquoting Jesus" propositions? The video and audio should be available soon...
Darin,

If you find that the audio portion of the Ehrman/White debate is made available any where, please let me know. I'd enjoy listening to it.

Thanks!

peace,

dane
It is available on aomin.org for purchase for $6. Gary Demar's ministry (American Vision) did video and is producing a DVD. The Dividing Line podcast did one episode with some extracts and commentary from James White.

It was pretty good, though I think both of them failed to "get" the others' points a couple of times.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”