David and Shimei

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
Suzana

David and Shimei

Post by Suzana » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:27 am

On yesterday’s program (Fri), a caller brought up the question of Solomon’s execution of Shimei, and treason was discussed.
I’ve recently wondered about a related issue; I remember Steve previously discuss (somewhere or other) David’s willingness to overlook the matter of Shimei cursing him, and not take any vengeance.
However, (in 1 Kings ch 2), David on or near his deathbed is giving Solomon final instructions, including these:

8 “And see, you have with you Shimei the son of Gera, a Benjamite from Bahurim, who cursed me with a malicious curse in the day when I went to Mahanaim. But he came down to meet me at the Jordan, and I swore to him by the LORD, saying, ‘I will not put you to death with the sword.’ 9 Now therefore, do not hold him guiltless, for you are a wise man and know what you ought to do to him; but bring his gray hair down to the grave with blood.

This had me in a bit of a puzzle. I can’t imagine that David would suddenly become less merciful, & out for personal vengeance (especially while preparing to soon meet his maker).
So I was wondering if this was perhaps more a matter of putting things to rights, as a matter of a ruler’s duty, and ensure that justice would finally be done, since David himself had made an oath to spare the guy. (I wonder if he regretted doing so?).

At the time he said: “Let him alone, and let him curse; for so the LORD has ordered him. 12 It may be that the LORD will look on my affliction, and that the LORD will repay me with good for his cursing this day.

Did David change his mind about the cursing being from God, and that it wasn’t so much a personal affront David felt, but that it was more a sin against God, because Shimei was cursing the Lord’s anointed? Or what?
Suzana

steve

Re: David and Shimei

Post by steve » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:45 pm

Isn't it great that the biblical caracters are so complex, and not one-dimensional—just like real people? I don't know what to think of some of David's actions (even as I am not sure how to assess or explain some of my own). His killing the man who told him of Saul's death seems a bit severe to me, although his killing of the murderers of Ishbosheth seems more justified.

In both cases, the men had killed (or claimed to have killed) rulers, which could be seen as acts of treason. Sins against Israel's "anointed [by God]" rulers might be seen as more than political offenses, but as attempts to overthrow even the kingdom of God—possibly a form of blasphemy, which was a capital offense under the law. David may have seen it this way, at least,though a more cynical assessment would see David as simply doing these things for political expediency.

In the case of Shimei, David may have been sufficiently secure in his position (being a mature warrior/king with lots of experience and loyal soldiers behind him) that the verbal abuse of Shimei seemed only insulting, but not threatening. Solomon, on the other hand, was taking over the kingdom as an inexperienced youth, and David might have felt that having old rebels like Shimei lurking around the city would potentially undermine the dynastic stability—as Absalom had done to David.

I think Shimei deserved to die, at least as much as did the Amalekite who claimed to have dispatched Saul. Both "touched the Lord's anointed." David's oath of clemency at an earlier date might have been premature, and David may subsequently have come to realize it. Or else it may have been merely politically expedient—showing the public that David is really a good sort, despite whatever rumors Absalom had circulated against him). When David told Solomon to take care of certain unfinished business, if there was any injustice in it, it was in David not having done it himself earlier.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:57 pm

steve wrote:Isn't it great that the biblical caracters are so complex, and not one-dimensional—just like real people? I don't know what to think of some of David's actions (even as I am not sure how to assess or explain some of my own). His killing the man who told him of Saul's death seems a bit severe to me, although his killing of the murderers of Ishbosheth seems more justified.
This reality is a pretty compelling contrast between the "folk tales" you find in other religions.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:14 pm

steve wrote:...Solomon, on the other hand, was taking over the kingdom as an inexperienced youth, and David might have felt that having old rebels like Shimei lurking around the city would potentially undermine the dynastic stability—as Absalom had done to David.
That does make sense. I also thought it was interesting the way Solomon dealt with the situation of Shimei - confining him to Jerusalem, with a warning of the death penalty if he ever crossed the boundary; it wasn't until three years later that this condition was breached, and the sentence carried out.
44 The king said moreover to Shimei, “You know, as your heart acknowledges, all the wickedness that you did to my father David; therefore the LORD will return your wickedness on your own head.
45 But King Solomon shall be blessed, and the throne of David shall be established before the LORD forever.”
Suzana

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:14 pm

‘I will not put you to death with the sword.’ 9 Now therefore, do not hold him guiltless, for you are a wise man and know what you ought to do to him;

I think the answer lies within the text above. Prehaps it is a polictical move as Steve suggested or prehaps it is Solomn making the political statement that if you were against my father I am against you, or prehaps it is David keeping his promise and also getting justice in the end.

Whatever the reason I think it shows what power kings really have over their people and makes me greatful we have a merciful King.
tim

Return to “Radio Program Topics”