Eye for an eye?

Right & Wrong
RND

Eye for an eye?

Post by RND » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Victim Will Get to Blind the Man Who Blinded Her

Madrid, Spain (CNN)- An Iranian woman living in Spain is welcoming a Tehran court ruling that awards her eye-for-an-eye justice against a suitor who blinded her.

In a Spanish radio interview, she says her aim isn't revenge -- it's to make sure her suffering isn't repeated.

Ameneh Bahrami was blinded and disfigured in 2004 when a man she had spurned threw acid on her. Late last year, an Iranian court reportedly ruled that Islamic justice calls for the attacker to be blinded with acid, too.

But the victim says she is entitled to blind Majid Movahedi in only one eye, because under Iranian law "each man is worth two women."

She also says he would be blinded by having several drops of acid put into one eye, whereas she had acid splashed all over her face and other parts of her body.

She says she's waiting for a letter from the court telling her to go back to Iran for the punishment to be carried out.
Bahrami tells CNN she first crossed paths with her attacker Movahedi in 2002, when they attended the same university. She was a 24-year-old electronics student. He was 19. She never noticed him until they shared a class. He sat next to her one day and brushed up against her. Bahrami says she knew it wasn't an accident.

"I moved away from him," she said, "but he brushed up against me again." When Bahrami stood up in class and screamed for him to stop, Movahedi just looked at her in stunned silence. Bahrami said that over the next two years, Movahedi kept harassing her and making threats, even as he asked her to marry him.

Then one day she was leaving work and he snuck up behind her. When she turned around he threw acid on her face.

Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Michelle

Re: Eye for an eye?

Post by Michelle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:36 pm

RND,
So...
Are you just trying to inform us that Christian Ethics differ wildly from Islamic Ethics? If so, thanks, I guess.

RND

Post by RND » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Michelle wrote:RND,
So...
Are you just trying to inform us that Christian Ethics differ wildly from Islamic Ethics? If so, thanks, I guess.
Michelle I would think the question mark in the thread title would be a dead giveaway! Some think that returning to OT ways will never cross the minds of fallen Christianity, but I believe that through the mighty power of the state that is exactly what will happen. In fact people will clamor for it.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm

I see it as quite significant that the woman sees blinding the offender in one eye not as revenge, but as a deterrent.

In this case it wasn't "an eye for an eye" but "an eye for two eyes"!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:24 pm

RND wrote:
Michelle wrote:RND,
So...
Michelle I would think the question mark in the thread title would be a dead giveaway! Some think that returning to OT ways will never cross the minds of fallen Christianity, but I believe that through the mighty power of the state that is exactly what will happen. In fact people will clamor for it.
OK, I'm tired and I'm in the middle of a huge project that I don't want to do, so maybe my mind isn't as sharp as it could be. What is "fallen Christianity" and why would you use Iran as an example of that? And (I'm sure I must be wrong on this one) aren't you in favor of Old Testament law being still valid?

steve

Post by steve » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:26 am

Michelle,

I know that if you had not been so tired, you would have seen this as just another attempt of RND to reintroduce his idea that someday the Roman Catholic Church will influence governments to establish mandatory Sunday worship. It is subtle, I know, but you should know that RND can't go very long without trying to prove this point again.

The idea is, if Islamic law makes an appeal to the Old Testament rulings, then it only makes sense that American laws will someday enforce Roman Catholic practices. What could be more parallel?

If RND wishes to keep talking about this subject, I think it should remain on a thread already devoted to that topic. We don't need multiple threads on the same topic, disguised as threads on new topics. If the dialogue on this topic trickles off to nothing, because no one can think of any reason to take it seriously, it is disingenuous to try to jump start the dead topic in a new thread under the appearance of something quite different.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 am

I've resorted in one thread to splitting his threads off of the main thread when this happens, but boy I didn't catch this one. Amazingly myopic.

RND

Post by RND » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Michelle wrote: What is "fallen Christianity" and why would you use Iran as an example of that?
Fallen Christianity is the same as "apostate Christianity." See Matthew 7:15-29.

The reason I used Iran as example is that "apostate Christianity" likes to think it is immune from taking such drastic positions, as Iran does, yet scripture says most assuredly it will.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:47 pm

RND wrote:
Michelle wrote: What is "fallen Christianity" and why would you use Iran as an example of that?
Fallen Christianity is the same as "apostate Christianity." See Matthew 7:15-29.

The reason I used Iran as example is that "apostate Christianity" likes to think it is immune from taking such drastic positions, as Iran does, yet scripture says most assuredly it will.
Are you implying that those of us who read and post here are among fallen or apostate Christians? Has someone here demanded an eye for an eye type of retribution? Or are you making a prediction that soon we will based on our disagreement with your sabbatarian and your soul sleep views?

RND

Post by RND » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Michelle wrote:Are you implying that those of us who read and post here are among fallen or apostate Christians? Has someone here demanded an eye for an eye type of retribution?
Haven't suggested a thing.
Or are you making a prediction that soon we will based on our disagreement with your sabbatarian and your soul sleep views?
No predictions simply because I have no idea what you or anyone else may do or not do in the future.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “Ethics”