Ephesians 4:17-30 (Vs 26 and Vs 31) -- Anger

_arndtc

Ephesians 4:17-30 (Vs 26 and Vs 31) -- Anger

Post by _arndtc » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:48 pm

I was wondering if someone could comment on how they understand this passage in Ephesians where Paul first says to "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:". Then in Vs 31, he said to put away wrath and anger.

I think I understand what Paul is saying, but it some ways it seems confusing to say it's ok to be angry as long as we do not sin, but then to also way that we should put away anger.

In light of the fact that throught the Bible (especially the Old Testiment), that we see that God does get angry, why should we as Christians be afraid of the emotion of anger. To say that God does get angry should be clarified with verses like Psalm 145:8 "The LORD [is] gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy." I feel that this should also be the example that the Chrisitan should follow, being compasionate, slow to anger and quick to forgive. And I think that this is what Paul is saying in the above verses, but wanted to see what others thought about this passage as well.

Later,
Chris
2 Cor. 4:7
Last edited by _RedcowboyChristian on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi Chris,

I believe that certain emotions—like fear and anger—are neither virtuous nor sinful in themselves, and may even be obligatory in certain applications. For example, fear is a God-given, visceral response to danger (even animals have it, though they are not sinful). It would be very dangerous to live with no sensations of fear, and this is particularly true of the sensation of fear when directed toward God. On the other hand, it is a sin to surrender to emotions when doing so would lead to disobedience to God. Therefore (as many have correctly said in the past), the courageous man is not the man who feels no fear, but the man who does what is right, despite his fear of the dangers involved.

I believe anger is the same way. I think anger (like fear) is an emotion that arises unbidden as the natural (and even godly) response to certain outrageous and unjust realities. Therefore, we read that Saul became angry as a result of the Holy Spirit coming upon him (1 Sam.11:6), and Jesus Himself is described as being angry at the Pharisees (Mark 3:5).

Of course, we know of God's anger, or wrath, and we also read, in Revelation, of "the wrath of the Lamb[Jesus]" (Rev.6:16). Though we are not told that Jesus was angry when He drove the money-changers from the temple, He certainly appeared to be angry, and there would be no reason for Him not to be. Interestingly, on that occasion, we are told that such anger was a display of "zeal" (John 2:17). Zeal is good, and lack of zeal is sin (Rev.3:19).

It would seem, then, that we are to be angry, at times. But anger can arise from sinful (selfish) motives. The imprecatory statements in the Psalms (e.g., 7:6-7; 109:12; 137:8-9), and some of those in the New Testament (1 Cor.16:22/ Gal.1:8-9/ 2 Tim.4:14/Rev.6:10), are examples of righteous anger.

However, where anger is righteous, it is not primarily self-interested. It is zeal for God's house, or for His honor, or for justice in the face of the victimization of innocent people—not a response to a personal affront—that inspires the biblical imprecations. See, for example, how Paul wishes evil on Alexander, who "has greatly resisted our words [the Gospel]" (2 Tim.4:14-15), but wishes mercy upon those who abandoned him to his fate when on trial for his life (2 Tim.4:16). The lives of David and Jesus also exhibit this pattern of showing mercy toward those who injure them personally, but anger toward those who hurt others or who despise God.

Even appropriate anger can become sinful hatred, if it is allowed to simmer. To "put away anger and wrath" requires that you have some appropriate thing to do about these emotions, so that they do not become sin. The proper response might involve some godly form of redress, or confrontation, but the idea is to heal an unresolved relational rift, which was caused by that which inspired the anger. If nothing can be done to bring about a desired resolution, then I believe one must simply release the anger in the sight of God, and to replace it with love and pity. Anger, held over time, invariably evolves into bitterness, so putting it away should be done as quickly as possible: "Do not let the sun go down on your anger."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_arndtc

Post by _arndtc » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:33 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the response. This is similar to what I was thinking, but one thing that you pointed out that I had not thought of was the relationship to other emotions such as fear. This helps to put this discussion into perspective.
Last edited by _RedcowboyChristian on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Later,
Chris

_arndtc

Short Bible Study on Anger

Post by _arndtc » Wed May 24, 2006 8:00 am

Sorry it took me so long to post this, but I wanted to share my the results of my short Bible study so that others could use it and expound on it.
Last edited by _RedcowboyChristian on Wed May 24, 2006 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
Later,
Chris

_arndtc

Short Bible Study on Anger

Post by _arndtc » Wed May 24, 2006 8:02 am

Sorry it took me so long to post this, but I wanted to share my the results of my short Bible study so that others could use it and expound on it.

Title: Anger, What Do We Do With It?
Date: Given on Sunday Evening November 27, 2005
Text: Ephesians 4:17-32 vs. 26, 31

Intro:
Mark Smith was a well-respected manager at Applebee’s in Crestview Hills. At 36, he was a happily married father of two young children. It was sometime after 3 a.m. when he was closing for the night and was approached in the parking lot by David Parsons. David’s life was almost the totally opposite of that or Mark’s. He was having marital problems and he and his wife were breaking up. He was in financial straits and had just lost another job at a restaurant. He was always at odds with management, thinking that he was smarter than them. This caused a constant, quite or be fired situation. Just a few months before this meeting in the parking lot, Mark had transferred David to another store, where we was accused of stealing from a customer and then fired. As David approached Mark in the parking lot, he started an argument, which quickly escalated. When David looked at Mark, he saw all his past managers, and the conflict that they caused. In a fit of rage David shot Mark in the upper board, and then ran. Later when we was arrested, he confessed to being angry when he shoot Mark. (Note 1)

1. Woman, 24 year old mother of two in Cincinnati, driving alone in a GrandAm, is following a woman driver in a VW. In front of them are several cars behind a truck going 35 mph.
2. The GrandAm pulls into the left lane in order to pass and speeds up to 55 mph.
The VW suddenly pulls out into the left lane, in front of the GrandAm, going 20 mph slower and forcing the GrandAm driver to apply the brakes suddenly.
3. The VW gradually overtakes the slow truck, passes it, and pulls back into the right lane.
4. The GrandAm, still in the left lane, now overtakes the VW, honks several times, makes obscene gestures, and flashes her lights as signs of outrage ("to let her know that she almost caused an accident just then").
5. The VW driver responds by also issuing an obscene gesture and shaking her head.
6. The GrandAm now tries to pull ahead in the left lane in order to re-enter the right lane, but the VW accelerates, blocking the way.
7. The GrandAm slows down and pulls in behind the VW and now keeps up the pressure by tailgating dangerously close.
8. Now the GrandAm suddenly pulls out into the left lane again, overtakes and cuts off the VW, then gives her a "brake job," slamming on the brakes to punish the VW driver behind her.
9. The VW driver applies her brakes suddenly and they lock, causing her to veer sideways to the right where she hits truck parked on the shoulder. She is thrown from the car, taken to the hospital where she recovers from surgery, but she was pregnant and her unborn child dies.
10. The GrandAm driver continues her trip to the office where she told her supervisor that she'd been in an accident, that "the other driver had it coming" and that "she wasn't going to take it from no one." Later, she was arrested and charged with vehicular homicide for causing the death of an unborn child. (Note 4)

Many things happen when people become angry and lose control. They do or say things that they later wished they had not done or said. Anger can so take control of us that we even forget what happened. In the first story, David couldn’t even remember where he had hid the gun after shooting Mark. And when the police saw him the first time they said that he looked like as white as death. He also said he hadn’t slept and was so sick that he threw up all night. (Note 1)

When Bro. Batton told me that I would be doing the Sunday evening service I didn’t know what I would do. Then when talking with my wife, she reminded me that that I had just finished up a study on anger and that I should share a little of what I had found. So here is a summary of my study of anger in the Bible. I’m not an expert, and this is not a comprehensive overview of the subject of anger in the Bible. I would like to encourage you to use this as a spring board for your own study, and not as a conclusive summary of the topic.

Now, let’s take a look at Anger, weather or not it is a sinful emotion and how we as Christians should response to such an emotion.

I. What is anger?
A. Definition of Anger.
1. According to the Webster dictionary, anger is “A strong feeling of displeasure or hostility.”
2. Greek word for anger that Paul uses in the verses we just read means (Note 6)
1) anger, the natural disposition, temper, character
2) movement or agitation of the soul, impulse, desire, any violent emotion, but esp. anger
3) anger, wrath, indignation
4) anger exhibited in punishment, hence used for punishment itself
a) of punishments inflicted by magistrates

We see that anger is an emotion that can arise from a number of situations.

1. It can be a response to an injustice, such as the killing of an unborn baby or the killing of the Jews during the Holocaust. But more often it is a perceived injustice. All too often we don’t know the whole situation, and base our judgment on what little facts we know.
Like someone who runs a stop sign and hits your car causing thousands of dollars of damage. Only to find out later that this was due to the fact that she had hit something in the road which caused a hole in the break line, and then caused her brakes to fail at that critical moment when she approached the stop sign.

2. It could be a response to someone who disagrees or doesn’t hold the same views as you do. No body likes it when other disagrees, but some take it too far.
Like the British Columbia man who found out his daughter had been seeing a boy that was of a different nationality. She let her parents know that they were considering moving in together and getting married. Her father became so angry he stabbed her. He quickly rushed her to a hospital, but it was too late. She had been stabbed 11 times and was pronounced dead on arrival. (Note 2)

These are just a few reasons we might experience anger. There are many more, and some that you are probably thinking about now that I haven’t mentioned. Anger can even arise when we hear of an injustice to someone else.

II. Is anger a sinful or wrong emotion?
As we just looked at, anger is an emotion that can arise from a number of situations or circumstances. But is anger an emotion that we as Christians should have, or is this something that we should avoid or suppress? I have often heard that anger is something that goes away when we become saved, or others say, when you are sanctified. I’m sure that you have heard this as well, but someone challenged me to look into this a little more by pointing out that even God becomes angry at times.

A. Anger is amoral
1. Bible teacher and lecturer Steve Gregg says that he feels that anger is an amoral emotion, like fear it is neither virtuous nor sinful. For example fear is a God-given response to danger. Even animals experience fear, even though they are not sinful creatures. (Note 5).

Now let’s take a look at some examples of anger in the Bible.

B. God was/is angry on different occasions
The Old Testament is full of examples of God being anger with various nations and especially with the Israelites for their disregard of him and his laws.
1. God provoked to anger.
Numbers 32:13 : And the LORD'S anger was kindled against Israel, and he made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until all the generation, that had done evil in the sight of the LORD, was consumed.”
1 Kings 16:1-2 “Then the word of the LORD came to Jehu the son of Hanani against Baasha, saying, forasmuch as I exalted thee out of the dust, and made thee prince over my people Israel; and thou hast walked in the way of Jeroboam, and hast made my people Israel to sin, to provoke me to anger with their sins;”
In Rev. 6:16 we see the wrath of the Lamb(Jesus) being poured out those who refused to turn from following the beast.
Revelation 6:15-17 “And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

C. Even Godly people experience anger:
1. In 2.Sam 12:5-6, we see that David was angry when he heard of the injustice in the story of the man who stole his neighbor’s lamb.
“And David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, As the LORD liveth, the man that hath done this thing shall surely die: And he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.”
2. Jesus was angry with the Pharisees in Mark 3:5, because they wished to interfere with the work of the Lord in helping others.
Mark 3:5 “And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.”
3. We also find that Saul be came angry when the Holy Spirit came upon him. This was because the people refused to help their brethren in need.
1 Sam. 11:6 “And the Spirit of God came upon Saul when he heard those tidings, and his anger was kindled greatly.”

D. Motives
1. It appears that anger can arise from a selfish or sinful motive.
2. Or it could be an anger for righteousness sake that is not directed at ones self. It could be zeal for God's house, or for His honor. Or a natural reaction that justice should be served for innocent people who have been victimized.

III. What should a Christians response be when we experience anger?
As we mentioned before, anger in itself is amoral and is neither virtuous nor sinful. But if godly people and even God himself can experience anger and not sin, but others as in the case of David Parsons’ it can lead to sin, how should Christians respond to anger? Let’s go back and look at the back to the emotion of fear again. Steve Gregg goes on to say that it would be dangerous to live with no sense of fear, especially a fear of God. But at the same time, if we are not careful, we can surrender to emotions and end up sinning because we disobey God. We can say that the courageous man is no one who doesn’t feel fear, but rather one who does what is right even when he fears the dangers involved.

A. Don’t let the Sun do down
I believe that this is what Paul is warning us in Vs. 26 when he says “Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.”
1. It’s not the emotion of anger itself that is wrong, but rather the way respond to the emotion. Anger, like fear is an emotion that arises unbidden as the natural and even godly response to certain outrageous and unjust realities.
2. There will be right forms of anger, but we must also respond to these types of anger appropriately as well. We should not let them simmer or burn. When we to this, it can lead to sin. As Paul put it in verse 27, we would be giving a place to the devil, by letting anger stand.

B. God’s Mercy
Let’s also take a look at God’s response to the emotion of anger.
1. God is slow to anger and quick to mercy. Here are a few of the many scriptures which demonstrate God’s response.
Pslam 145:8 – “The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.”
Jonah 4:2 – “And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.”
2. As God is slow to anger, we must likewise be slow to anger and be quick to forgive and to show mercy.

C. Motivation
As we mentioned before, we must be aware of our motivation for anger.
1. Our motivation should not be a selfish one, but one that is motivated out of love for others.
2. We should be in tune to the Holy Spirit and our motivation should be one that mirrors God’s own reason for anger. We can ensure that we know what that would be by making sure that we spend time in His Word, and in prayer.

D. Down to earth
I heard a radio preacher once ask the following thought provoking questions. Though I don’t remember who it was, they have stuck in my mind.
1. What would happen if husbands and wives didn't let the sun fall on their anger? What if they would take time each night to address all the issues of the day, rather than letting them build up?
2. What would happen if believers would follow Biblical mandate to resolve differences before worshiping together?
3. Isn’t it likely that the divorce rate would drop, and church segmentation would diminish?

Anger could arise from a large issue or many little things that but either way, if we keep holding on to anger it will turn into bitterness and it’s obvious that it will lead to sin if we do not address it.

Rather than saying that anger is something that God will take away, maybe we should say that God will help you develop the appropriate response. The sanctified heart is one that is in tune with the Holy Spirit, and will not want to grieve him. As Paul mentions in vs. 30, we need to take care not to grieve the Holy Spirit, but we should put away anger and replace it with kindness and forgiveness.

Closing:
The examples of anger that I discussed, are extreme. Like the case where Philip King decided to take matters into his own hands, when the mother of his unborn child refused to have an abortion. He punched her in the stomach, and then according to her testimony, he stamped on her stomach 6 or 7 times, while she cried for him to stop.(Note 3)

None of us know for sure what will happen when we do not control our anger. As Paul said, if we do not control our anger we give place to the devil and once he has a foot hold our lives, we do not know how far sin will take us.

We must put away bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking. Vs 32 “And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.”

1. http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 90363/1014
2. http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national ... 50304.html
3. http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/ ... m=storyrhs
4. http://www.drdriving.org/articles/testimony.htm
5. http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=609
6. http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/ ... -8068.html
Reason:
Later,
Chris

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Wed May 24, 2006 11:52 am

Hey, thanks for posting this

You know, it's strange. I'm preaching June 4th and yesterday I was seeking direction on what to preach about and I sensed a leading to do a sermon on anger. I did a few hours of prep work and now today I sign on and you've got a bunch of thoughts pulled together on this topic. Should be helpful!

God bless,
matthew
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

Return to “Acts & Epistles”