Messianic use of OT statements

_mattrose

Messianic use of OT statements

Post by _mattrose » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:39 pm

Maybe this is an evil question. But today I've been studying the messianic prophecies by simply using the strongs concordance list of prophecies fulfilled by the Messiah and it seems to me that in some cases, the NT usage of the OT verse would be considered 'proof-texting' if something similar were done today. Obviously I believe that the NT writers were inspired by God and are at no fault in their usage of OT texts, but has anyone else thought this?

Verses like
Hosea 11:1 --> Matthew 2:15
Jeremiah 31:15 --> Matthew 2:17-18

Just examples

Does this give any legitimacy to similar usage of the OT today? Or is the key difference in the fact that they were inspired authors of Scripture and we are not (I'm assuming this is the answer)? Or am I missing something else?

I guess what I'm saying is this...if i were an unbeliever, I'd argue that there is enough content in the OT, that no matter what the supposed 'Messiah' did, an OT verse that sounds similar could have been 'made' messianic by his followers.

Obviously this ignores the very specific prophecies (the 70 seven's, the virgin birth, and the place of birth, etc), but what would a good response be to such an argument?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:54 am

Hi Matt,

I've struggled with Hosea 11:1 and Matthew 2:15 as a problem of proof-texting before. What I understand from Steve through his MP3 messages and radio shows (I can't recall when he mentions this but he does so lots of time) is this, in summary:

Many of the prophecies in the Old Testament about Israel can easily be applied to Jesus because Israel is a type of Jesus. So when the Apostles read about an OT statement concerning Israel, they applied it to Christ. If you think of Israel as a pyramid, the base would be represent the nation/race of Israel, the middle part would be spiritual Israel (those who believe in Christ), and the tip would be Jesus Christ.

Anyway, I'm sure that Steve will give you a more comprehensive answer once he gets time to answer.

In the meantime, you may want to visit:

http://www.mark-shea.com/7.html

which I thought deals well with the topic you are asking about. (Although, I hope Steve will forgive me for pointing you to other people who don't take part in this forum.)
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:55 pm

Thanks very much

Your answer (I'll get to the link in a few seconds) is very helpful. I neglected to look at it from that perspective.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

Return to “The Gospels”