Denying yourself

Discuss your walk and aspects of the kingdom of God here with fellow brothers in the Lord.
darinhouston

Denying yourself

Post by darinhouston » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:54 pm

We were discussing Luke 9:23 during our bible study class at church and one of our members was struggling with the limits of denying yourself. What role does self-care and self-satisfaction and joie de vivre play in the Christian life? I have struggled with this very question over the years and had some response as to God actually loving us and wanting us to have joy in life and also the notion of our lives being in stewardship to his service -- i.e., where we require self-care for our own life to be effective for God's purposes and that this is as necessary a part of stewardship of taking care of your car so it doesn't fall apart. That sort of thing. But, I felt I could have given him a better answer and that I could follow with a more comprehensive and practical resource/help.

I'm sure this has come up in one or more of Steve's lectures and I know I've heard him discuss it either in person or on the radio and being (as usual) highly satisfied (yet challenged) by the answer.

Does anyone know where I might find such a treatment? Or other resource? A book perhaps?

Homer

Re: Denying yourself

Post by Homer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Darin,

Are you familiar with the writings of Dallas Willard? Some put him on par with C.S. Lewis. Anyway you mentioned a book, and I would highly recommend Willard's "Spirit of the Disciplines". Chapter 10, titled "Is Poverty Spiritual?" is about 25 pages on the subject of Christians and wealth. IMO you will find nothing better.

Homer

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks. I’m well acquainted with Willard (and am a big fan). Not familiar with that one and will check it out. Thanks. (Though wealth and poverty isn’t really the issue he’s facing. More of a time management and rest/leisure).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Kingdom”