Go to the throne before the phone

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
dorianleigh

Go to the throne before the phone

Post by dorianleigh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 pm

I was listening to the radio broadcast and there was a caller who wanted Biblical counsel regarding a family situation. This caller identified themself as a believer, as well as the family members involved. My question to this caller would be, have you prayed about this prior to seeking counsel from a human? What did the Lord tell you? Have you prayed together with all the members of your family and collaberated as to what His will is in this situation? It doesn't really matter if this adult's parents are blessing this situation, what truly matter is "does God bless this situation." What is His will in matter? Could it be that the Lord purposefully omitted answers in Scripture so we would come to Him and learn to depend on His leading?

Have we become complacent (lukewarm) about prayer? Have we forsaken our first love and connecting with Him? Do we even realize what an honor it is to be used by His Spirit to intercede in prayer? Should we be seeking human advice and counsel before we've committed this situation to prayer and asked for His wisdom? Is it better to seek confirmation from humans after we believe we have heard from the Lord, or depend upon humans?

What would happen if every believer who listens to Steve's broadcast were to spend a few minutes before the broadcast in worship and praise, inviting His presence and then agreeing in prayer together through the broadcast? What if we lifted up Steve to be used as an instrument, protecting him and asking for the Spirit to guide and direct His words? What if we lifted up each caller as they were reaching out for answers? Are we educated beyond our level of obedience? Are we listening to this broadcast to become spiritually fat, or are we willing to exercise our faith in a productive manner and actually participate in this broadcast being used of God in prayer?

Is there anyone who is willing to agree with me in prayer when they tune in to the broadcast? If so, I would love to hear how the Lord is leading you to pray so we can be in agreement. I'm so excited to see what the Lord will do when two or three of us gather together in prayer, because He guarantees that He is right there with us when we do.

Let's become ignited once again in watching the Lord supernaturally move as we humble ourselves and pray.

Homer

Re: Go to the throne before the phone

Post by Homer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Dorianleigh,
My question to this caller would be, have you prayed about this prior to seeking counsel from a human? What did the Lord tell you?
What if a person prays and prays for an answer about something, even begging for a sign, anything to indicate what God's will is and yet there is no answer? Then they seek counsel from a Godly Christian and receive a sound, biblical answer? Seems to me God speaks to us most of the time through His word (scripture) or through Godly people. Unless God speaks to us through an unmistakeable sign or an audible voice, how would we know He answered; that it was not just a "mental impression" of our own?
If so, I would love to hear how the Lord is leading you to pray so we can be in agreement. I'm so excited to see what the Lord will do when two or three of us gather together in prayer, because He guarantees that He is right there with us when we do.
I think the context of that promise was an agreement regarding discipline of an unrepentant sinner. Prayer of dozens of people agreeing together will not avail much if their request is outside God's will. But "the prayer of a (one) righteous man availeth much", James 5:16.

dorianleigh

Re: Go to the throne before the phone

Post by dorianleigh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi Homer!

Thanks for expressing your perceptions! I found a couple articles online which I believe to be truth and I'm copying them to share:

"Prayer and Intercession

CORPORATE PRAYER

I. Foundation Scripture:
Matthew 18:19 - 20, "Again I Tell you, if two of you on earth agree (harmonize together, together make a symphony) about - anything and everything - whatever they shall ask, it will come to pass and be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Amplified Bible)

Matthew 18:19 - 20, "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (KJV)

A. Corporate prayer is probably one of the most neglected and misunderstood forms of prayer we find described in the Bible. Usually when Christians get together to pray, a whole array of prayers are offered by each individual instead of the group simply bringing a few focused prayers in complete unison before the Lord.

Despite some of the misconceptions that exist, proper corporate prayer is extremely powerful when we truly appreciate its value and perform it correctly."

In Acts 2:1 - 2 we read a very famous account of corporate prayer and its powerful result, "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting."

The term "one accord" carries the meaning of having the same mind, or being in agreement mentally about the same thing. It also means to be of "one passion".

(Acts 4:24 - 32 gives another powerful account of how effective corporate prayer is)

B. The word "agree" in Matthew 18:19 not only carries the meaning of being in one accord, but goes further; Strong's #G4856 sumphõneõ - soom-fo-neh'-o from Strong's #G4859; to be harmonious, agree (together, with)

The word sumphõneõ is the root of our modern English word, symphony. Symphony carries the meaning of "harmony of sound" such as one would experience when a Symphony Orchestra plays a symphony of music or symphonic musical composition.

On their own, each individual musical instrument may make a wonderful sound, however, when all the instruments play or symphonize together, they form one beautiful harmonious sound carrying with it much deeper emotion and meaning.

The same happens when we agree or symphonize together in corporate prayer. When we all pray together at the same time for the same thing, the power of the Holy Spirit is released in a much greater way, bringing swift breakthroughs and answers to prayer.

Psalm 133:1 - 3, "A Song of degrees of David - Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore."

C. Towards the end of Matthew 18:19 we read, "... whatever they shall ask, it will come to pass and be done for them by My Father in heaven."

In terms of your questions regarding going to the Lord, prior to humans for answers, I've found that as I've grown and matured, I've learned how to hear His voice, as the word promises us "His sheep know His voice." This requires practice and discipline which this article below concludes:

"Seeking God's will for specific situations and decisions may require practicing spiritual disciplines like daily prayer and meditation, fasting, worship, and dedicated Bible study. This is not always easy or clear because God reveals Himself in many different ways using His Word, other people or circumstances and sometimes an inner prompting or voice for direction. It takes practice and some discernment to hear God's voice.

Sometimes our own timetable, will, worries, and the lack of intimacy in our relationship with God can stand in the way of hearing from Him. When we seek God's direction for specific answers to particular situations, we need to ask ourselves if we are surrendered to God's will and if the answer lines up with His Word or if it seems more in line with our own desires.

God desires that we know His will and plan for our lives. As we earnestly seek Him, we find truth in Ephesians 1:9: "And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ"

Return to “Radio Program Topics”