download to ipod

marty

download to ipod

Post by marty » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm having trouble downloading Steves audio lectures to my ipod. They will download to my Imac to itunes no problem, but when I drag them into my ipod they won't go or I get a message saying they won't play on ipod. Does any one know if you need some special software to convert these files to a format that ipod will take from itunes? I don't have a problem with most audio files playing on ipod.

Perry

Re: download to ipod

Post by Perry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Not exactly sure what's going wrong for you... they play on my itouch just fine. They are, after all, just MP3 files... which is what the "MP3" in MP3 player stands for.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi marty, (nice to meet you)

I don't think all mp3 files are created equal. Some files are compressed more than others & perhaps your ipod (?an older model) may not play if the bit rate isn't supported. I had a portable cd/mp3 player that did this - it would play some lectures but not others burnt onto the same cd.
If you have the specifications for your player it might tell you what file rates it's compatible with.
If that's the problem I imagine there is software available to convert files, or maybe you need a new player?
Hopefully there is someone here more knowledgeable about this & can advise you more specifically. (I don't have an ipod, but my non-apple mp3 players [creative zen and sansa clip] seem to handle all of them OK).
Suzana

marty

Post by marty » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Its a 1 year old ipod. Thats what has me confused, I can't remember ever having a problem getting an mp3 to this ipod?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Audio or video? Post a link to one that doesn't work and I'll confirm but I've thrown most of them onto various iPods through iTunes in the past with no prob.

marty

Post by marty » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:34 pm

None of them will work. It must be my computer then. When I hit the download file, the file loads in a couple minutes but won't let me drag it out of the box. And when I click open with Itunes it goes to Itunes and will play on it, I just can't get it into my Ipod.

Perry

Post by Perry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Marty,
There's really only a couple of other things I can think of... (sorry if this sounds like obvious stuff)
1). Is it possible that your mp3 player is full and simply doesn't have room for the files?
2). Is it possible that your mp3 player as a limit on the playing time for mp3 files?

I have used the MP3 splitter found at the location linked below to help reducing the size of some files (for other reasons). Not really endorsing the software or anything, just trying to help out.

Hope this helps.

http://www.yaosoft.com/

charleswest

Post by charleswest » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:42 am

marty wrote:None of them will work. It must be my computer then. When I hit the download file, the file loads in a couple minutes but won't let me drag it out of the box. And when I click open with Itunes it goes to Itunes and will play on it, I just can't get it into my Ipod.

If you're a little geeky, check out Media Monkey. It is an iTunes replacement.
“I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views... ” Abraham Lincoln. Excerpt from a letter to Horace Greeley. 22 August 1862
= = = =
Be Blessed. We Are Loved...
cw

charleswest

Post by charleswest » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:46 am

marty wrote:I'm having trouble downloading Steves audio lectures to my ipod. They will download to my Imac to itunes no problem, but when I drag them into my ipod they won't go or I get a message saying they won't play on ipod. Does any one know if you need some special software to convert these files to a format that ipod will take from itunes? I don't have a problem with most audio files playing on ipod.

I had troubles with figuring out how to use iTunes v9 and above.

With similar problems. There are MANY check boxes that need to be checked in order to get things to work.

Go through all the screens with a fine tooth comb and check as many boxes as might seem necessary.

I use playlists to listen, but still need to check boxes to get them to download on my iPod.

cw
“I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views... ” Abraham Lincoln. Excerpt from a letter to Horace Greeley. 22 August 1862
= = = =
Be Blessed. We Are Loved...
cw

LeannaZ

Post by LeannaZ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:27 pm

I have the same problem. Some lectures just won't transfer to my ipod. But sometimes I find success by downloading the lecture and plugging in my ipod while the lecture is playing on Itunes in order to get it onto my ipod. I don't know if that helps, but you can try it.

Return to “General Questions”