Confession and prayer

Michelle

Confession and prayer

Post by Michelle » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:59 pm

James 5:16
Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
New King James Version © 1982 Thomas Nelson

Does anyone here do this on a regular basis; either the confessing part or the praying part, or both?

Do you think that the healing part could physical, emotional, or spiritual? Or is it just talking about physical healing?

Thanks,
Michelle

mikew

Re: Confession and prayer

Post by mikew » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:34 am

The e-sword KJV uses the word "faults" instead of "trespasses" which is a different word from the previous verse which is popularly translated as "sins." The translations that translate both as "sins" end up creating some confusion of the meaning of the passage.

I started commenting more toward the previous verse that talked about being save the one who is sick -- that situation appears to be physical sickness. In verse 16, though, there is no indication that you, the people addressed directly by James, are sick. Maybe then James was talking more about being made sound or functional as the body of Christ.

This idea of soundness is suggested by the fact that they not only were told to "confess your faults," an action that could imply faults that led to physical sickness, but also were told to pray for one another. This latter phrase doesn't lead to a need for physical healing -- hopefully not. That is to say that people would not likely get sick due to their lack of prayer for one another.

I am all for this confession of faults. It is a wonderful idea. I'm just waiting for all others to confess their faults first.

Actually the instruction was given in light of the coming of the Lord in the near future (verse 8) so there may have been a special situation requiring a more deliberate effort to avoid the sins. I say this in part because we don't really appear to have people who are apparently sick because of sins (but the passage doesn't quite go as far as to say they were sick cause of sins).

Wow. This verse is quite different from what I remember reading before.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Ok, Mike, so am I reading you correctly that this seems to be about a specific time and about specific faults that lead to sickness? Are these instructions, then, not meant for us today?

You said you are all for confessing faults, if the other person goes first, which I take to be an example of your humor which is something I know about you. :D

Read my blog at tweb. I just confessed about some sins that I committed a long time ago. I'm not really sure why I did it, but I don't regret it. Does my act of confession have anything to do with this passage or am I just reaching here? I'm looking for an explanation for the incredible peace I've experienced in the past week and a half which came as a total surprise to me...

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm so darn technical at times...
Michelle wrote:Ok, Mike, so am I reading you correctly that this seems to be about a specific time and about specific faults that lead to sickness? Are these instructions, then, not meant for us today?

You said you are all for confessing faults, if the other person goes first, which I take to be an example of your humor which is something I know about you. :D
I was thinking about the previous verses regarding sickness. But I do see confessing of our faults as appropriate for us today. Confession is certainly made easier where there is compassion without judging.

The confession of our faults seems to be the opposite to showing a self-righteous attitude. Sharing our faults shows that we need to share and receive mercy.
Michelle wrote:Read my blog at tweb. I just confessed about some sins that I committed a long time ago. I'm not really sure why I did it, but I don't regret it. Does my act of confession have anything to do with this passage or am I just reaching here? I'm looking for an explanation for the incredible peace I've experienced in the past week and a half which came as a total surprise to me...
I think you are on the forefront of what God wants to do among us. And yes the verse does have to do with the soundness and peace you are noticing and it was enhanced by the compassionate responses.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:39 pm

mikew wrote:I'm so darn technical at times...
Michelle wrote:Ok, Mike, so am I reading you correctly that this seems to be about a specific time and about specific faults that lead to sickness? Are these instructions, then, not meant for us today?

I was thinking about the previous verses regarding sickness. But I do see confessing of our faults as appropriate for us today. Confession is certainly made easier where there is compassion without judging.

The confession of our faults seems to be the opposite to showing a self-righteous attitude. Sharing our faults shows that we need to share and receive mercy.
Michelle wrote:Read my blog at tweb. I just confessed about some sins that I committed a long time ago. I'm not really sure why I did it, but I don't regret it. Does my act of confession have anything to do with this passage or am I just reaching here? I'm looking for an explanation for the incredible peace I've experienced in the past week and a half which came as a total surprise to me...
I think you are on the forefront of what God wants to do among us. And yes the verse does have to do with the soundness and peace you are noticing and it was enhanced by the compassionate responses.
The thing is that I've confessed all that to the Lord and have been assured of His forgiveness for a long, long time. I'm wondering what the difference is when confessing it to a brother or sister (or a whole bunch of people I never expected to read it) in Christ? Do you think that maybe Christ wants to work through us, His Church, to administer mercy to each other?

Maybe I'm over thinking it. Maybe I just feel so peaceful to have unloaded a lot of pent-up secrets from the last 30 years and am relieved that in one place, at least, I don't have to feel like I'm always pretending to be something I'm not...or, well, at least something I haven't always been. Either way, I'm enjoying this peacefulness while it lasts.

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:29 am

Michelle wrote: The thing is that I've confessed all that to the Lord and have been assured of His forgiveness for a long, long time. I'm wondering what the difference is when confessing it to a brother or sister (or a whole bunch of people I never expected to read it) in Christ? Do you think that maybe Christ wants to work through us, His Church, to administer mercy to each other?

Maybe I'm over thinking it. Maybe I just feel so peaceful to have unloaded a lot of pent-up secrets from the last 30 years and am relieved that in one place, at least, I don't have to feel like I'm always pretending to be something I'm not...or, well, at least something I haven't always been. Either way, I'm enjoying this peacefulness while it lasts.
We tend to keep up an image -- this is something we try to uphold -- the ideal Christian. But we think that we won't be liked if people knew this or knew that about us. This really sounds like what you were saying.

There's the aspects of being humble and genuine. Also, I think God designed the idea of confession to make it easier for someone fighting temptation to share their fight and get strength from other believers. So the opportunity of the ministry of mercy regarding guilty feelings and weaknesses.

It would seem without the confession we are fighting the inner demon accusing us -- figuratively speaking-- but by sharing then others can express their similar situations. How can we show love to one another unless the hurts of life can be shared and healed? This sort of healing would seem to be what James was mentioning.

There are some corresponding verses that I will just present from memory:
1. every joint supplies
2. Perfect love casts out all fears
3. He who is spiritual -- restore in gentleness
4. blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy
5. bear each others burdens (Gal 6:1-2)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:11 am

The e-sword KJV uses the word "faults" instead of "trespasses" which is a different word from the previous verse which is popularly translated as "sins."
The Greek word is ἁμαρτια which virtually everywhere else is normally translated "sin" or "sins". For example, "The wages of sin is death" Rom 6:23.
Or should it read, "The wages of our faults is death"?

In my opinion, translating this word as "faults" is reading into the text to avoid confessing our sins to one another as James instructed.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TK

Post by TK » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:24 am

What form should this confession take? should we plan a "confession" meeting with our bros and sisses in the Lord and just have at it, or should it be a more spontaneous thing? If I have an unkind thought on my drive home from work, need I call someone to confess it?

TK

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:25 am

Paidion wrote:
The e-sword KJV uses the word "faults" instead of "trespasses" which is a different word from the previous verse which is popularly translated as "sins."
The Greek word is ἁμαρτια which virtually everywhere else is normally translated "sin" or "sins". For example, "The wages of sin is death" Rom 6:23.
Or should it read, "The wages of our faults is death"?

In my opinion, translating this word as "faults" is reading into the text to avoid confessing our sins to one another as James instructed.
You mean like "confessing" that you are too analytical?

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 am

TK wrote:What form should this confession take? should we plan a "confession" meeting with our bros and sisses in the Lord and just have at it, or should it be a more spontaneous thing? If I have an unkind thought on my drive home from work, need I call someone to confess it?

TK
I dunno, that's why I'm asking...I would love to hear what people think.

I used to have a friend that I had an agreement with to hold each other accountable about gossip. (Even though it's spoken about pretty negatively in scripture, no one really seems to think it all that toxic.) It was a good thing, but, then I never gossiped about Miriam because I admired her so much. What if I had. That would have been hard to confess, and I probably wouldn't have.

Return to “Fellowship & Worship”