Can a man "learn" to love and obey God?

darinhouston

Can a man "learn" to love and obey God?

Post by darinhouston » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Homer wrote: Can a man in his natural state choose to learn to love and obey God? Isn't that what an apprentice (disciple) does? Where is it written that a man can not?

Homer
This is a question that has plagued me and will continue to do if the answer is in the negative (I think he can, actually). While you no doubt can't "learn" your way to salvation, our parenting class (which got its start by Calvinists in Piper's church no less) is premised on the idea that we can raise our child in a way that through this exercise of God's grace through our instruction they would have knowledge and a soft heart and mind towards Christ which would increase the likelihood that and ease with which the child would come to know and follow Christ.

I would do it in any event because it raises good "citizens," and because the bible tells me to do so, but even if I were a 5-pointer, I would see it as contingency training -- if my children happen to be elect, then they will have a head-start on discipleship and sanctification.

I'd be interested in how seer sees this and what benefit comes from biblical and spiritual training of a child, presuming he believes that some of them aren't elect. Is it just a secular benefit? Does it have some spiritual benefit also?
Last edited by darinhouston on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seer

Re: Can a man "learn" to love and obey God?

Post by seer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:20 pm

I'd be interested in how seer sees this and what benefit comes from biblical and spiritual training of a child, presuming he believes that some of them aren't elect. Is it just a secular benefit? Does it have some spiritual benefit also? I'll start a new thread.

Well we do it because it is the godly thing to do. Who knows what benefit there would be.
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”