Isaiah 3:1-3 (those skilled in magical arts and know incantations)

darinhouston

Isaiah 3:1-3 (those skilled in magical arts and know incantations)

Post by darinhouston » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:33 pm

This seems to hold magicians and spell-casters in the same positive light as leaders and respected leaders in the nation. I've never noticed this before. What's this all about?
Isaiah 3:1-3 (NET) wrote:1 Look, the sovereign Lord who commands armies
is about to remove from Jerusalem and Judah
every source of security, including
all the food and water,
2 the mighty men and warriors,
judges and prophets,
omen readers and leaders,
3 captains of groups of fifty,
the respected citizens,
advisers and those skilled in magical arts
and those who know incantations.

dwight92070

Re: Isaiah 3:1-3 (those skilled in magical arts and know incantations)

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:46 pm

It seems pretty obvious. The Lord is judging the people of Jerusalem and Judah, whether they are respected leaders, or magicians or diviners, even "prophets" or "judges", for their sin. Verses 8, 9, 11, and 12 tell us about their rebellion and sin. Their status or their position will not save them.

darinhouston

Re: Isaiah 3:1-3 (those skilled in magical arts and know incantations)

Post by darinhouston » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:18 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:46 pm
It seems pretty obvious. The Lord is judging the people of Jerusalem and Judah, whether they are respected leaders, or magicians or diviners, even "prophets" or "judges", for their sin. Verses 8, 9, 11, and 12 tell us about their rebellion and sin. Their status or their position will not save them.
I don't think it has anything to do with status or position of those removed - the point isn't that the judgment was on those who were removed but that the people of Israel were being judged by removing those to whom they were looking for security. That part is clear to me. The question is different. The question is whether that group is being reported as legitimate authorities. Perhaps it includes them all to show that it didn't matter what group was being judged -- whether faithful or pagan or otherwise -- all had rebelled and whoever each group looked to for security (besides God) their earthly security was being removed so that the entirety of the people would be judged.

...I guess...

It just seems strange to me that they would be listed without further comment -- as if they were legitimate -- something like "even those pagan godless magicians." I've seen commentaries that suggest these aren't really magicians and it's a translation issue, but it doesn't ring true to me.

Return to “Major and Minor Prophets”