Isaiah 10:12 explaining -- punish the fruit ... king of Assyria

mikew

Isaiah 10:12 explaining -- punish the fruit ... king of Assyria

Post by mikew » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Isa 10:12 (NASB)
So it will be that when the Lord has completed all His work on Mount Zion and on Jerusalem, He will say, “I will punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria and the pomp of his haughtiness.

This is an idea i figured out years ago and decided to share it.

The passage has usually been found to be incoherent since Assyria was long gone before Isaiah wrote this. The common interpretation was that this is about the punishment of the king of Assyria. I had come to the attention of the verse looking at verses 20-22 based on Romans 9:27

Isa 10:20-22
Now in that day the remnant of Israel, and those of the house of Jacob who have escaped, will never again rely on the one who struck them, but will truly rely on the LORD, the Holy One of Israel. A remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the mighty God. For though your people, O Israel, may be like the sand of the sea, Only a remnant within them will return; A destruction is determined, overflowing with righteousness.

To understand verse 12 we have to ask what fruit came from the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria. The fruit points to the arrogant rule by subsequent rulers. These rulers that would take control over the Hebrew people had extravagant ambitions to build empires and, as Nebuchadnezzar, to exalt themselves. Their behavior falls under the same problem with the king of Assyria.

The Book of Daniel seems to elaborate on the point found in this verse. Daniel provides the details of what God would do to the fruit of this arrogance -- to the subsequent empires.

How does this sound? Are there other readings that make better sense of the verse?
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

mikew

Re: Isaiah 10:12 explaining -- punish the fruit ... king of Assyria

Post by mikew » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:22 pm

my stupid. I posted this item before. However, it seems an important contribution to help understand Paul's use of Isa 10 from Romans 9.

Jess, in that earlier post, mentioned that Assyria was still around when Isaiah was alive. So i might miss that aspect. I probably heard that the prophecy could not be fulfilled because Assyria had already disappeared. A commentary mentioned that the king of Assyria may have been used to represent Persia.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Return to “Major and Minor Prophets”