David`s megalomania?

Ian

David`s megalomania?

Post by Ian » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 am

I`ve been reading Samuel of late and got to here today:
Then David dwelt in the stronghold, and called it the City of David. And David built all around from the Millo and inward. 10 So David went on and became great, and the Lord God of hosts was with him.
2 Samuel 5 v 9 - 10

This naming of the city after himself does not seem fitting for "a man after God`s own heart". It seems closer to megalomania to me. The second half of verse 10 sems to imply God`s endorsement of this. I`d like to be disabused of my cynicism towards David and am posting here in the hope that somebody might be able to do that for me! Thanks

mattrose

Re: David`s megalomania?

Post by mattrose » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am

I don't think he named it the city of David to exalt himself... I think it was more a strategical move. He was declaring that this would be his capital city. But even if he did just choose to name it after himself, we shouldn't automatically assume this was done with poor motives. If God didn't tell him what to name the city, he had to name it something :) Plus, it's not like he insisted it must always be called that.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Whether or not David had megalomania is not my chief concern with him. Not even his adultery with Bathsheba, and then placing her husband on the front lines of the army so that he would get killed. For David repented of all that. (Psalm 51). The problem I have with him is his hatred for his enemies and/or God's enemies, and his deep desire that God would kill them. Here is part of just one of the hate Psalms:

Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God! Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men. For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties and see if there is any wicked way in me... (Psalm 139:19-24 NKJV)

After expressing his desire that God would kill the wicked, and expressing his hatred for them, he then asks God to see whether there is any wicked way in him. He fails to recognize his hate and desire to see God kill His enemies as wicked.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Paidion wrote:Whether or not David had megalomania is not my chief concern with him. Not even his adultery with Bathsheba, and then placing her husband on the front lines of the army so that he would get killed. For David repented of all that. (Psalm 51). The problem I have with him is his hatred for his enemies and/or God's enemies, and his deep desire that God would kill them. Here is part of just one of the hate Psalms:

Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God! Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men. For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties and see if there is any wicked way in me... (Psalm 139:19-24 NKJV)

After expressing his desire that God would kill the wicked, and expressing his hatred for them, he then asks God to see whether there is any wicked way in him. He fails to recognize his hate and desire to see God kill His enemies as wicked.
Part of this depends, I think, on your understanding of what the Psalms are. I tend to think of the Psalms as the honest expression of human emotion. It is better for David to honestly express his emotions to God than to let his emotions lead him into violent actions. David may have had incredibly negative emotions in regards to Saul, for instance, but because he brought those emotions to God in the Psalms... he didn't act on them.

I don't see the end of that Psalm as evidence of his failure to recognize the negative nature of his own emotions. Quite the opposite. I think as he uttered the prayer God convicted him and that conviction led to his openness about his own need for repentance.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm

It is better for David to honestly express his emotions to God than to let his emotions lead him into violent actions.
As I see it, it would be better yet to let go of negative emotions, especially hate. But I guess he didn't have access to the enabling grace as we have in this day of grace. Yet I know many non-Christians who don't seem to feel hatred. Of course, I cannot be sure of this, as they might feel hatred, but unlike David refrain from expressing it.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:01 pm

This naming of the city after himself does not seem fitting for "a man after God`s own heart". It seems closer to megalomania to me. The second half of verse 10 sems to imply God`s endorsement of this. I`d like to be disabused of my cynicism towards David and am posting here in the hope that somebody might be able to do that for me! Thanks
Whether or not David had megalomania is not my chief concern with him. Not even his adultery with Bathsheba, and then placing her husband on the front lines of the army so that he would get killed. For David repented of all that. (Psalm 51). The problem I have with him is his hatred for his enemies and/or God's enemies, and his deep desire that God would kill them. Here is part of just one of the hate Psalms:
As I see it, it would be better yet to let go of negative emotions, especially hate. But I guess he didn't have access to the enabling grace as we have in this day of grace. Yet I know many non-Christians who don't seem to feel hatred. Of course, I cannot be sure of this, as they might feel hatred, but unlike David refrain from expressing it.
Paidion and Ian, how do these observations about David's character have an effect on your beliefs about God's character?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm

MIchelle, I don't know whether "these observations about David's character have an effect on my beliefs about God's character."

But I will say this about God's character: God is fully loving, and fully righteous, and He has been working throughout the centuries to help people to become loving and righteous, too. He sent His Son into the world to teach us, and allowed Him to die at the hands of evil men, in order to deliver us from wrongdoing — from wrong attitudes toward others, such as hate and revenge (which David seemed to have demonstrated at times).
Paidion

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Something I was thinking/wondering about today: I believe that David was said (by Samuel?) to be a man after God's own heart before he was made king. Is that right? I can't find the verse(s) right now, and I need to get to bed.

It seems that it may be that he became at times a bit less "after God's own heart" once he became a rich celebrity, so to speak. It wouldn't be the first or last time that's happened, I'm sure.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 am

Paidion wrote:MIchelle, I don't know whether "these observations about David's character have an effect on my beliefs about God's character."

But I will say this about God's character: God is fully loving, and fully righteous, and He has been working throughout the centuries to help people to become loving and righteous, too. He sent His Son into the world to teach us, and allowed Him to die at the hands of evil men, in order to deliver us from wrongdoing — from wrong attitudes toward others, such as hate and revenge (which David seemed to have demonstrated at times).
David had unrighteous attitudes towards others, not to mention megalomaniacal tendencies, as well as having committed good old adultery and murder. However, he died before Christ's sacrificial death, so he could not cooperate with the Holy Spirit's enabling grace to refine his character into a truly righteous one.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:10 am

Singalphile wrote:Something I was thinking/wondering about today: I believe that David was said (by Samuel?) to be a man after God's own heart before he was made king. Is that right? I can't find the verse(s) right now, and I need to get to bed.

It seems that it may be that he became at times a bit less "after God's own heart" once he became a rich celebrity, so to speak. It wouldn't be the first or last time that's happened, I'm sure.
His son, Solomon, suffered from the same outcome, I think. What do you think, Singalphile? Did David's and Solomon's rejection of God's heart result in their condemnation and/or destruction?

Return to “Major and Minor Prophets”