Zech 5 and female angels

TK

Zech 5 and female angels

Post by TK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 pm

From Zech 5:
5 Then the angel who talked with me came out and said to me, “Lift your eyes now, and see what this is that goes forth.”
6 So I asked, “What is it?” And he said, “It is a basket that is going forth.”
He also said, “This is their resemblance throughout the earth: 7 Here is a lead disc lifted up, and this is a woman sitting inside the basket”; 8 then he said, “This is Wickedness!” And he thrust her down into the basket, and threw the lead cover over its mouth. 9 Then I raised my eyes and looked, and there were two women, coming with the wind in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted up the basket between earth and heaven.
10 So I said to the angel who talked with me, “Where are they carrying the basket?”
11 And he said to me, “To build a house for it in the land of Shinar; when it is ready, the basket will be set there on its base.”
this is the only passage i know of that possibly suggests female angels.

what do you all think?

Do you think there are female angels?

TK

Candlepower

Re: Zech 5 and female angels

Post by Candlepower » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Just a guess, but I see only one angel in this text, and he does not seem to be referred to as a female. Am I missing something? ;)

TK

Post by TK » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:52 am

well, like I said, it's the only passage I know of that "possibly suggests" there are female angels-- you know, the women with the wings.

Perhaps the bigger question is whether the seeming absence of the mention of female angels in the bIble precludes their existence. I personally do not think that it does, but of course it might.

TK

steve

Post by steve » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 am

My impression is that angels, being spirits, are, like God Himself, without sex or gender. When they appear or are spoken of anthropomorphically, the male image is used. This is no doubt because of certain associations that male-ness carries to the human mind—e.g., strength and leadership.

TK

Post by TK » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:13 am

steve wrote:My impression is that angels, being spirits, are, like God Himself, without sex or gender. When they appear or are spoken of anthropomorphically, the male image is used. This is no doubt because of certain associations that male-ness carries to the human mind—e.g., strength and leadership.

I was going a little checking around at various sources regarding the question of female angels, and some said something similar to this. That generally the angels in the Bible are appearing in a military-type role, which would explain (in that culture) why they appeared as males.

What I havent really researched is whether there are many anecdotal accounts of people claiming to have seen an angel that appeared female.

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 pm

I was going a little checking around at various sources regarding the question of female angels, and some said something similar to this. That generally the angels in the Bible are appearing in a military-type role, which would explain (in that culture) why they appeared as males.

I suspect angels can appear in different forms and this women angel was symbolic of Israel's wickness but that does'nt mean the angel really is female. A few months ago an odd looking older women spoke to me in a parking lot and then she and her car just disappeared almost instantly and i knew immdiately it was an angel but in the form of a women.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:05 pm

What did she say?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:02 pm

What did she say?

She asked me to tell her what the idiot light on her dashboard was and i would'nt have known except that i brought my car to my mechanic for the very same light a few weeks earlier. An oxygen sensor light for the exhaust system.
Wish she had told me something prophetic but it seems like she took up some of my time for no apparent reason and then she and her car were just gone in a few seconds.

Return to “Major and Minor Prophets”