Revival and 2 Chron 7:14

Discuss your walk and aspects of the kingdom of God here with fellow brothers in the Lord.
TK

Revival and 2 Chron 7:14

Post by TK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:14 pm

"f my people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 2 Chron. 7:14

This verse is often quoted by individuals seeking revival for the United States (and perhaps other countries as well). I like the verse and the sentiment it contains, but what I am not sure about is whether it applies to us today.

First, who are “my people?” When the verse was written I presume it was Israel. Applied to today it would presumably be the Church.

If so, the question then becomes how many must seek His face and turn from their wicked ways? 100%? 50%? Is there any way of knowing this? In other words, is this a formula?

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for revival. I have experienced personal revival (but could use another good one) but I have never really experienced a big revival. But it seems that many people have been praying for revival for many years but nothing seems to happen. Is this because God may not WANT to send revival, or is it because the Church has not yet humbled itself enough or turned from its wicked ways enough?

I guess I am just wondering why large scale revival has not come when we REALLY seem to need it.

TK

dizerner

Re: Revival and 2 Chron 7:14

Post by dizerner » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Yeah, I used to hear this all the time in the early 90s when the 10/40 window came into focus.

Who could say prayer and personal repentance is ever a bad thing? Yet, what people seem to expect or think of revival is the president of the USA shouting hallelujah on every state of the union address and all the atheists going away. Yet Scripture indicates judgment begins with God's people, the tares will grow with the wheat, and true revival is to be personally free of sin more and love and know God more.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi dizerner-

Are you saying there really isn't such a thing as widespread revival, or just that we shouldn't look for it or hope for it?

TK

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:24 pm

TK wrote:Hi dizerner-

Are you saying there really isn't such a thing as widespread revival, or just that we shouldn't look for it or hope for it?

TK
Without a doubt revivals have happened throughout history, but to me it seems a lot of people get the wrong idea of what revival is.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:58 pm

One thing I am pretty sure of is that it is not people barking like dogs or quacking like ducks or doing the kundalini shake.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 pm

One thing I am pretty sure of is that it is not people barking like dogs or quacking like ducks or doing the kundalini shake.
Awww... your view would be disappointing to the many who think those things to be the central feature!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “The Kingdom”