Ecclesiastes

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
_Benjamin Ho

Ecclesiastes

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:54 am

Dear Steve,

For a long time, I have taken the main application of Ecclesiastes as Ecc 12:13: "The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man."

As I was reading through Ecclesiastes recently, I seem to sense that the writer makes this other application in Ecc 5:18-20:

Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil—this is the gift of God. For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.

and similarly, in Ecc 9:7-10:

Go, eat your bread in joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do. Let your garments be always white. Let not oil be lacking on your head. Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that he has given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.

Is this a valid application made by the writer, or is it at variance with that stated in Ecc 12:13?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”