Song of Songs

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
mattrose

Song of Songs

Post by mattrose » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:42 pm

I don't see any threads on the Song of Songs. I just finished a commentary on this book and listened to Steve's lecture. Here are my notes that I will use to present this unique book to a small group that is studying through the Bible:

What makes this book difficult?
1. It’s not always clear who is speaking!
2. It’s not necessarily in chronological order!
3. Its content makes some people uncomfortable!
4. It’s poetry from a very different time and place!
5. It has been interpreted in a bunch of different ways!

Examples of Interpretation
1. It’s a love triangle (b/w a woman and a shepherd and a king)
2. It’s a love story b/w a woman and a king (who pretended to be a shepherd)
3. It’s a symbolic story, telling Israel’s history in a romantic poem
4. It’s a symbolic story, telling of the love between Christ and the Church
5. It’s love poetry which highlights the beauty of romantic love

My Own Thoughts (Shape by various sources, of course)
1. I think it is a true-to-life love story told with dramatic elements (like a play)
2. I suspect that the male-lead is not directly linked to Solomon
3. I suspect that the a woman had a lot to do with the writing of this story
4. I believe the primary purpose of this book is to show the beauty of romantic love
5. I believe that romantic love is an earthly taste of the power of divine love

The following is AN interpretation of the Song of Songs. I believe the poetic language and chronology of this book is sometimes purposefully vague so as to allow many ‘love stories’ to find resonance in its words. I have, I’m sure, ‘westernized’ the story a bit… but unapologetically, as I feel it is the hope of poets to have their readers make the words their own.

Act 1 (1:2-2:7)
I imagine a wedding scene. The women are all fawning over the groom (a prince-charming type), but the bride, of course, actually has a relationship with him. She would like the festivities to end so she can be alone with her husband and consummate their marriage.

Act 2 (2:8-3:5)
In a flashback from earlier in their courtship, the man has come to court his love interest. He wants to move the relationship forward, but she turns him away. Nevertheless, she can’t stop thinking about him. She dreams about chasing him down and bringing him back to her home.

Act 3 (3:6-5:1)
The young woman visits her suitor. Upon her eagerly awaited arrival, he speaks of her beauty. His words are well received. She is ready to open herself up to his love. They have entered into a betrothal period. News spreads amongst their family and friends.

Act 4 (5:2-6:3)
Not so fast! Just as it seems they are on the brink of marital bliss, something goes wrong (we are not told exactly what). They have been separated and she is experiencing high anxiety. She finds comfort in thinking about him and, in time, they experience a beautiful reunion.

Act 5 (6:4-7:10)
The man serenades his beloved with sensual poetry. He describes her face as uniquely beautiful, almost overwhelmingly so. Every inch of her body entices him. From the tips of her toes to the top of her head (but especially her breasts and mouth), she is perfect.

Act 6 (7:11-8:4)
The couple plans their honeymoon. It has not been easy to wait for the wedding day (restraining themselves from cultural taboos). But soon they will have their romantic get-away in the country. The dream is almost a reality!

Act 7 (8:5-14)
The happy couple is ready to unite and start a family. In their love, they have connected to the most powerful force in the world. Nothing can hinder their love. Her brothers need not worry. She knows what she’s doing. The couple is ready to give themselves to each other; to be one.

Bonus Material:

Song of Songs Pick Up Lines…
1. I liken you, my darling, to a mare (1:9)
2. Your hair is like a flock of goats (4:1, 6:5)
3. Your waist is a mound of wheat (7:2)
4. Your nose is like the tower of Lebanon (7:4)

Paidion

Re: Song of Songs

Post by Paidion » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:50 pm

I subscribe to the view expressed in The Amplified Old Testament. The Shulammite's real lover is a rustic shepherd. It is not a love triangle. She resists the advances of Solomon, though she is part of his harem. She is upset when she cannot find her beloved, her shepherd he-man. The parenthetical insertions of the editors of the Amplified make perfect sense in understanding every part of the Song.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:57 pm

A question I would ask, if I were in your class:

"Why is it in the Bible?"

Some canonical lists don't include it.

The first question is, why would the Jews include it? It's in the septuagint, so we know first century Jews accepted it.

The second question is, why did the early church accept it?

Of course, there are no good answers. But conjecture on the subject is a good ink-blot to what lens we bring to the bible, and our worldview, and especially sexuality.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:24 pm

I tend to think like a considerable number of commentators that the intense heart-felt love both sexual and otherwise between the Shulammite and her shepherd lover, pictures the intense love between Christ and His "bride", the assembly of God (or "church", if that is more meaningful to you).

I don't think that is necessarily WHY it is in the Bible. Who can say why? Why is Second Peter and Jude in the Bible? They were rejected or at least disputed during the second century. I don't think there is an explanation as to the "why" except in terms of historical events such choices of "the canon" in order to combat the gnostics and their fraudulent writings which they claimed to be apostolic.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:54 pm

I tend to think the Jews accepted it b/c it was beautiful poetry about the most intimate human relationship and was associated with one of their most famous kings.

I tend to think the early Christians accepted it b/c they were mostly Jews.

There's obviously some easy connections b/w the love described in the book and the love of God, but I really think the book was written to highlight romantic love. The Jewish faith was much more earthy than over-spiritualized religions tend to be. The Writings section of the canon includes a lot of surprising things... but very real things... beautifully written.

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”