Psalm 87 "Among those who know me, Rahab and Babylon"

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
morbo3000

Psalm 87 "Among those who know me, Rahab and Babylon"

Post by morbo3000 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 pm

This might be a duplicate question of something I emailed Steve about for the radio. I've listened to the shows since, and haven't heard it answered, but I think I sent it to the wrong address. Pardon the duplicate, Steve, if you've already answered.

Psalm 87 says:
On the holy mount stands the city he founded;
the Lord loves the gates of Zion
more than all the dwelling places of Jacob.
Glorious things of you are spoken,
O city of God.
Selah
Among those who know me I mention Rahab and Babylon;
behold, Philistia and Tyre, with Cush —
I’m interested in what people think the meaning of Rahab, Bably, Philistia and Tyre and Cush “knowing” the city of God, or God, or whoever is being spoken of here.

It almost sounds like he is saying “These places know me because of my victory over them.” Like the 49'ers “know” the Seahawks. (I'm non-partisan in sports.. it's just a handy metaphor from the news of the day.)

Is there more enlightenment on it?

Jeff.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

mattrose

Re: Psalm 87 "Among those who know me, Rahab and Babylon"

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 am

I think of it as a prophetic Psalm... pointing to the inclusion of the most unlikely (Gentiles... even former enemies) into God's people. Holy Zion will officially list these peoples as its citizens (at least the ones who acknowledge/know God). It will be as if they were natural citizens ("This one was born in Zion").

Somehow I made it through the first 7 years of my Christian walk without realizing how much the Old Testament points toward the inclusion of the Gentiles. Over the past 7 years I seem to find this theme over and over again.

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”