Proverbs 3:5,6

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
_Suzana

Proverbs 3:5,6

Post by _Suzana » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:04 am

5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

What does it mean exactly, "In all thy ways acknowledge him", I mean as a practical application?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Sue

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:49 am

Here's what The Message (gasp!) says:
Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.
I figure this is probably pretty close to the actual meaning.

Now, the practicality of "listening for God's voice in everything you do" is more difficult, and appear to be what you are asking about.

From reading Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest" daily for several years, I have concluded that if I am seeking the Lord daily, and living in submission and obedience to Him, then my common sense, every day decisions WILL reflect God's will. I can't remember exactly how Oswald puts it, but this seems to be the gist of what he says. We are not going to "hear" God's voice on a daily basis. But if we are walking in the Spirit, then, unless we are "checked" by the Spirit, we should assume that our decisions are God's will.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:14 pm

I found the Oswald Chambers passage (from march 20):

FRIENDSHIP WITH GOD

"Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do?" Genesis 18:17

Its Delights. This chapter brings out the delight of real friendship with God as compared with occasional feelings of His presence in prayer. To be so much in contact with God that you never need to ask Him to show you His will, is to be nearing the final stage of your discipline in the life of faith. When you are rightly related to God, it is a life of freedom and liberty and delight, you are God's will, and all your common-sense decisions are His will for you unless He checks. You decide things in perfect delightful friendship with God, knowing that if your decisions are wrong He will always check; when He checks, stop at once.

Its Difficulties. Why did Abraham stop praying when he did? He was not intimate enough yet to go boldly on until God granted his desire, there was something yet to be desired in his relationship to God. Whenever we stop short in prayer and say - "Well, I don't know; perhaps it is not God's will," there is still another stage to go. We are not so intimately acquainted with God as Jesus was, and as He wants us to be - "That they may be one even as we are one." Think of the last thing you prayed about - were you devoted to your desire or to God? Determined to get some gift of the Spirit or to get at God? "Your Heavenly Father knoweth what things ye have need of before ye ask Him." The point of asking is that you may get to know God better. "Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart." Keep praying in order to get a perfect understanding of God Himself.
TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Suzana

Post by _Suzana » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:30 am

Thanks TK.
I think it means more than praying and listening for God's voice regarding particular needs - to me there is the connotation that my whole way of living needs to be in submission to God, - as you say, "living in submission and obedience to Him".
Acknowledging that He is Lord and I am not to be living for myself.
Reason:
Sue

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:00 am

In all thy ways acknowledge him

I would say that if in "all your ways", that is, in everything you do, you "acknowledge Him" that is, recognize that He has a hand in it, He will direct your paths.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”