Proverb

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
Paul

Proverb

Post by Paul » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:46 pm

I have always interpreted this Proverb a certian way. However, I looked it up today in the old commentaries and none of them "barnes and henry" don't explain it the way I do. Without looking it up I would like to know what you all think that it means... Just to find out if I am out in right field.

Prov 19:22 THE DESIRE OF A MAN IS HIS KINDNESS: AND A POOR MAN IS BETTER THAN A LIAR.

Thanx,

Paul

Suzana

Re: Proverb

Post by Suzana » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:09 am

The NASB version says:

What is desirable in a man is his kindness [or loyalty], and it is better to be a poor man than a liar.

Put this way, it seems a lot more understandable (just from reading the scripture as is, I haven't looked up any commentaries) - some good advice following on from v. 20 -
'listen to counsel and accept discipline, that you may be wise the rest of your days.'

So kindness or loyalty is seen as a desirable quality to have or cultivate; the rest of the verse I guess is saying that it's better to be honest and remain poor, than to gain riches by deceitful or dishonest means.
Suzana

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:46 am

What is desirable in a man is his kindness, And it is better to be a poor man than a liar.

Essentially, I see it in the same way that Suzana sees it. I might add that since what we like to see in a person is kindness, we will find it in honest people. Dishonest liars may gain much wealth through deceit, and by doing so, they have been UNKIND to those whom they have robbed. It is better to be honest and KIND, even if that results in poverty.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:13 pm

I looked at the proverb when Paul first posted this and came to the same conclusion Suzana and Paidion did, but didn't post. Actually I was waiting for someone else to go first. :oops: So, Paul, how do we line up with the commentators?

RickC

Post by RickC » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:10 am

Diff versions, going from more literal to paraphrased, without comment:

Pro 19:22 (AMP)
That which is desired in a man is loyalty and kindness [and his glory and delight are his giving], but a poor man is better than a liar.

Pro 19:22 (CEV)
What matters most is loyalty.
It's better to be poor than to be a liar.

Pro 19:22 (NLT)
Loyalty makes a person attractive.
It is better to be poor than dishonest.

Pro 19:22 (MSG)
It's only human to want to make a buck,
but it's better to be poor than a liar.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:57 pm

I have always read it a different way, but you all are lining up with the commentaries, so maybe I was wrong... Not like its a hinge that some major issue swings on. Thanks for your input guys.

Paul

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:58 am

Hey Paul,
You aren't just going to leave it there ? :!: :shock:

I for one would love to hear your take on it...besides, the majority isn't always right, and there can be more than one correct view of looking at something. : )
Suzana

NORTH

Post by NORTH » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Last edited by NORTH on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:39 am

I always read it something like this... The desires of a person are the reason that they are kind, and a poor man is better then a liar or deceiver.
When my kids come up to me and say "Dad... I love you, can I have a popsickle. Pleeeaaasssee" They lay it on thick just to get what they want. I think this proverb is saying your better off without the "thick" and without the popsickle.

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”