Satan's Attack on Job

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
_TK

Satan's Attack on Job

Post by _TK » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:46 pm

I was reading Job 1 this morning, and got to thinking about what Satan's capabilities actually are.

In the story of Job, after God tells Satan that he can go after his property but not touch him personally, the Sabeans slew servants and stole the asses and oxen; fire came down from heaven and slew the sheep and servants, the Chaldeans stole the 3000 camels (why did he have 3000 camels?) and killed the servants, and a whirlwind destroyed the son's house and killed Job's children.

In your opinion(s), did Satan directly influence (cause?) Job's enemies to attack and steal his property? Is Satan able to control the weather, i.e the fire from heaven (presumably lightning) and the whirlwind?

What was going on here?

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Seth

Post by _Seth » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:03 pm

In my view, these acts were done by God, not Satan. I'm not sure that Satan has any implicit power at all. The key verse for me is Job 2:3 "And he still holds fast his integrity, although you incited Me against him to ruin him without cause."

I know it's an unpopular view, since we don't want to have God as the author of evil, but it's the view I hold. Not that I understand it, but I'm willing to accept that between God causing harm and his allowing it to happen, there's no real difference.
Reason:

_Dolphin

Post by _Dolphin » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:50 pm

It seems to me that Satan's only "power" is temptation. Off the top of my head, the only time I can remember Satan using his "powers" in the bible are the garden of Eden, Job, and the temptation of Jesus. I would say that the Sabeans and Chaldeans were tempted by Satan and thus, they did what they did. Then, as Seth pointed out, Satan had to ask God to do something, which is where the weather catastrophies come in.

It really seems to me that Satan's only power is communication with humans and with God. Although I could be way off.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:49 pm

In my view, these acts were done by God, not Satan. I'm not sure that Satan has any implicit power at all.
I don't know...it seems to me that Satan had some control over these things, but only that which God allowed. Some key verses I would point to are:

Job 1:12
12 So the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person." So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
NKJV

Job 2:6-7
6 And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, he is in your hand, but spare his life."

7 So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD, and struck Job with painful boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.
NKJV

It seems Paul was also stricken "in the flesh" by a messenger from Satan (2Cor 12:7)
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:09 pm

if God is actually the "author" of the calamities, and not satan, then a very important part of the story is left out. the early verses have satan telling God that the reason Job is so good is because God has his hedge of protection around Job. if the calamities resulted from God simply removing the hedge of protection, then think of what could happen to us if God similarly removes this protection. it is almost like destroying a dam holding back a river.

i am not quite convinced that satan himself didnt cause the calamities (w/ God's permission).

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Dolphin

Post by _Dolphin » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Is there any other references in the bible to Satan's powers besides these ones in Job???
Reason:

_Micah

Post by _Micah » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:53 pm

Dolphin wrote:Is there any other references in the bible to Satan's powers besides these ones in Job???
Even though it doesn't state it, but cannot one conclude he has the same power as demons and can posses bodies? Also, he has the power to control the world because he tempted Jesus with that one.
Reason:
Luke 16:17 - It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

Return to “Poetry and Wisdom”