How could "sola scripture" be correct?

BrotherAlan

Re: How could "sola scripture" be correct?

Post by BrotherAlan » Wed May 29, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi, Paidion—
The claim that God is the author of the Scriptures does not deny the claim that human beings are also author of the Scriptures. There can be—and, I believe, in fact, are—two authors of every word of Scriptrue: the primary author, Who is the Holy Spirit; and the secondary author, who is the human author. And, this in no way means that God took away the free will of the author, for God is able to move the free will (and intellect) of the human author while maintaining the freedom (and reason) of the author. Do not that, in terms of logic, the contradiction of the statement , “I am free,” is “I am NOT free.” (And, the statement, “God moves my free will,” is not logically equivalent to, “I am not free.”)
Christian tradition, supported by the Scriptures themselves, has always held that “Divine inspiration of the Scriptures” and “Divine authorship of the Scriptures” are, in fact, synonymous terms. See, for example, 2 Pet. 1:21, “No prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”

In Christ,
BrotherAlan
"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and always, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

Return to “Roman Catholicism”