Another Introduction

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
JonathanVaughan

Another Introduction

Post by JonathanVaughan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 pm

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Jonathan Vaughan and I live in Northern California. I am married with seven children between the ages of 13 and five months. I've been a Christian for many years, and have recently been burdened with the conviction that my work-home-church-do it all over again routine is not enough. I feel the Lord is speaking to me to get off my behind and serve. So, I'm presently examining opportunities, among them the Union Gospel Mission. I also like the idea of Meals on Wheels, so we'll see.

I attend a Bible church an hour away from my home, and it is uphill both ways. Long story as to why (why I go to a church an hour away, that is - it's not really uphill both ways). But it's a good church with people who want to be like Jesus. There just aren't many service opportunities there because it's small.

One day I happened to be driving home from work early and heard this guy on the radio, our gracious host. Since then I've called and harassed him a few times, to which he responded with consummate patience and edifying answers.

It's nice to have a Christian forum that's more broad-minded without being "liberal." I seem to need regular reminding of the fact that Christianity is not some sort of framework, it's a life to live out. Know Christ, don't just know about Christ. After listening to Steve's lecture last night about the Christian defined as a disciple of Christ, it makes good sense to me to focus on what Christ commanded, and a great deal of that is contained in the Sermon on the Mount. As a boy, I had once memorized the Sermon, but had since forgotten it. Perhaps I had left my first love, but in any case it's time to come back to it.

Almost done.

Regarding Christian music, does anyone know of any Christian prog? If you remember the secular band Yes you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. So much of Christian music is all on one worship tone (in my opinion). Failing the prog thing, is there music that's a bit less formula driven and has themes that run the gamut of Christian experience? For example, are there artists out there who plumb the depths of, say, grief, or doubt, or crisis, and then come out the other end stronger, or is everything pretty much...resolved? Just looking for something beyond the standard verse/chorus/bridge format and the single mood. Worth a shot.

Anyway, I've read through several posts and it's nice to meet everyone. Lot's of smart folks here, so I look forward to future discussions.

Jonathan Vaughan

crgfstr1

Re: Another Introduction

Post by crgfstr1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:56 am

I too am interested in some good Christian music. Some of the "main stream" Christian music I worry may have been sucked up by some of the secular lure. I think it is very hard to avoid pride when one is a very good musician and people clap or cheer. Who are they clapping or cheering....

I like Rescue (I hope they haven't fallen into any trap because people do cheer):
http://rescuemusic.com/

My Favorites:
Before The Throne
The Difference
Rescue (might fit at least lyrically the struggle aspects)
Please Come
I Choose You
When the Chariot Comes
Darkest Hour (might cover the grief and doubt)
So Subtly

I would like others opinions as well. For those concerned about syncopated rhythm they may not like several of their songs. For those concerned about instruments there aren't any but most of there songs you wouldn't know that to be the case as it sounds like they have drums and trumpets (and other instruments).

I haven't heard some of their newer music that I just now found based on trying to answer your post.

JonathanVaughan

Post by JonathanVaughan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks very much. I appreciate your recommendations.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:33 am

Welcome Jonathan,
I'm not familiar with Christian prog. What is that? Some of my favorite Christian artists or groups are: Selah, Chris Rice, Keith Green, Sara Groves, Twila Paris, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Terry Clark, Fernando Ortega, and Michael W. Smith. May God bless your time on the forum.

Dwight

JonathanVaughan

Post by JonathanVaughan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks Dwight.

Prog is short for progressive, and I do not know that Christian prog exists. There's a lot of prog in the secular music scene and I wonder if a Christian counterpart exists. In terms of style, some characteristics are: long suites of music in a rock format as opposed to songs that last a few minutes, time signature changes, multi-instrumentation, world music influences, and more.

Anyway, I was just wondering. Maybe I'll do some more research.

Best,

Jonathan

Return to “The Courtyard”