Church Search

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
Joan

Church Search

Post by Joan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Can anyone recommend churches or home fellowships in Tacoma, WA, or Cinncinati, OH? I have hurting friends in both areas who are looking. Smaller, warmer and more personable would be preferred; biblical and loving, of course. Thanks! Joan

RickC

Re: Church Search

Post by RickC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Joan

I've never visited Xenos Christian Fellowship (Columbus) or XCF (Cincinnati) - (Col and Cinci are considerably far from me). But since moving back Ohio (my home state) ten years ago, I've heard a lot about them.

Xenos was started in Columbus (back in the 70s, if I'm not mistaken. They have their history on the Col site). I didn't know anything about them (that they even existed) and 'discovered' them googling for theology stuff. They have some interesting articles, and replied by email to some questions I sent (nice folks :) ).

If memory serves me right, Columbus has hundreds of house churches. I checked Cinci, who currently lists three contacts for the same. House Church meetings in Cinci are listed as bi-weekly. They have podcasts and power points, as does Col.

I listened to one of the lead pastors in Col on Romans 9-11, and used to hear their broadcast on WRFD radio (Col) from time to time. From what I was able to gather, Xenos appears to be Arminian (not sure if they believe in Eternal Security), dispensational, and somewhat 'charismatic' as they believe everyone has 'gifts' to contribute. I'm not sure if they would be considered 'full continuationists" (that all of the gifts of the Holy Spirit are for today). Otherwise, the podcasts on Romans were pretty good, though they don't go with the 'New Perspective on Paul' (a la, N.T. Wright) as I do. What impressed me about their teaching style was explaining different views when they exist (much as Steve does).

Anyways, I was due to check up on Xenos and love to do research! (I was checking to see if they have any new house churches closer to me).

So maybe your friends can check them out?
Thanks for the opportunity for me to be a compulsive INTP Theology Detective! :D

Joan

Post by Joan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Rick, This is great information, far better than I'd hoped for. I'll relay what you found and encourage my Cincinnati friends to visit. Thank you so much! Joan

RickC

Post by RickC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:46 pm

You're welcome, Joan. :)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Xenos Christian Fellowship!

That seems like a peculiar name for a Christian group. "Xenos" means "stranger" in Greek.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Joan

Post by Joan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 pm

As in, "Sojourner," maybe?

RickC

Post by RickC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:44 am

From the Cinci link: "About Xenox - Who We Are" -

Our Strange Name
Xenos (pronounced zee-noss) is a Greek word meaning “stranger” or “sojourner”.
Besides being sort of strange, our name communicates that God’s desire is to have a positive and life-changing relationship with everyone. A church should not exist to meet its own needs, but should reach out to others in love. “Strangers” should feel welcome, served, and accepted by the church.

Pretty cool, "biblical", makes you think of Father Abraham, I LIKE it, :)
==============================

Joan -
If your friends wind up liking Xenos, please let me know.
I 'feel' with them...am looking for a fellowship too.

Joan

Post by Joan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:48 am

And we are sojourners on this earth. Thank you, Paidon and Rick. I'm liking the name. It gives me hope for my friends. It may be a while before they will visit, though. They've had some pretty bad experiences with life and during that time their churches beat them up instead of coming alongside. As a result they have shied away from fellowship for years. They are open to getting back into fellowship now, but I want to encourage them to go someplace other than where they have been. Maybe one of the three home churches will be the best way to start. I'll send the information and will be praying. Meanwhile, Rick, let me know if you visit before my friends do. It may be helpful.

Joan

RickC

Post by RickC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 am

Hi Joan :)

Xenos Cinci (and Columbus) are too far from me to visit. But if I'm ever in either city, and get a chance to go, I'll let you know what it/they were like.

In the meantime, I'd recommend that you and/or your friends check out some Xenos sermons/teachings (both Cinci and Col are online).

God bless you and your friends, :)
==================================

Add-On/P.S. (and not to complicate things).
I've never been to a Vineyard church. I visited a ministry that was 'associated' with one, but have not gone to an actual Vineyard church service. Vineyard is 'charismatic' and, at least officially, Calvinist. (I'm not a Calvinist and, thus, wouldn't necessarily recommend Vineyard). However, I've heard a Columbus Vineyard pastor on the radio for years (out of Columbus, WRFD, and where Vineyard is also headquartered). He never 'emphasized' Calvinism, that I can recall (one wouldn't know he was, unless they knew 'official' Vineyard doctrine).

I have a friend I met online who goes to a Vineyard. She said that she's never heard anything about 'Calvinism' in her church. She's not one herself. But she also related as to how much cool ministry they do (a lot). I'm not sure if Vineyard has adjunct house churches, but would tend to think so.

So, outside of the Calvinist caveat (FYI):
Vineyard Community Church, Cinci, OH
Last edited by RickC on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Joan

Post by Joan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:03 am

UPDATE:
My friends were grateful for the information and said they would keep it in mind, but in the end they decided to go back to their previous church because they still have family there. Thanks for your help, though. Maybe it will be useful if someone else moves to the Cincinnati area.

How about the Brier/Kenmore, WA area; anybody looking there? I might have found a fellowship worth looking into.
: )
Last edited by Joan on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “The Courtyard”