Church Search

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
RickC

Re: Church Search

Post by RickC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 am

Double-Add-On/P.S.S.
I just saw your last reply.
(I was editing) :D

So you may want to revisit my last reply....
(not to complicate things, though).

Take care, thanks (that I may find a fellowship), and you're welcome!
(I love doing any kind of research about: God, God-related)!

Joan

Post by Joan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 pm

I saw that they are officially Calvanistic but didn't detect a hard-line view in their other information about themselves. Regarding Calvanism, the pastor of my 'main church' is strongly Calvanistic. I've looked for other fellowships but haven't found anything that compares. I find my heart is with this little church, where the fellowship is sweet and the hearts of the saints are tender toward one another and the Lord. That's true of the pastor, as well. My impression has been that the more Calvanistic believers tend also to have an air of legalism about them, but not so with this church. Their focus is on living in obedience and grace. Xenos Fellowship may be like this. Listening to their "Central Teachings" will lend insight; I've downloaded the first message and will listen as soon as I sign off. Thanks again, Rick! Joan

RickC

Post by RickC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Joan :)

I don't remember how I learned Vineyard is Calvinistic (but it was probably through their homepage/theological training school links).
=====================================

From Xenos' Statement of Faith (which is the same @ Cinci and main Columbus site), they're like Southern Baptists (who also believe in Eternal Security or the "P" in TULIP).

Other than this, I didn't see any audio/video on Calvinism @ Xenos. But I searched for "Calvinism" (on their Columbus site) and found several articles. They do a lot of contrasting between Arminianism and Calvinism in them. But as to where they land on all 5 points, I'm not sure (excepting they accept "P"). 'Would have to read all the articles to find out, it looks like, etc., etc.

I also just noticed you can post on some of the articles, and that they still accept questions by email regarding them.
======================================

I know some charismatic Calvinists (online only, though) who don't emphasize Calvinism at all. One guy, a young 30s-ish pastor, has written me saying, "I'm done with controversies about Calvinism and Arminianism! The Kingdom of God is all that truly matters!"

I wrote back, "Amen!"
I totally enjoy agreeing with Calvinists about anything! LOL
======================================

Well, I have to go eat now. Take care, Joan :)

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Paidion wrote:Xenos Christian Fellowship!

That seems like a peculiar name for a Christian group. "Xenos" means "stranger" in Greek.
It can mean stranger (in the limited sense of someone who is a 'guest', usually in a foreign country, receiving hospitality, though not necessarily in the sense of 'unknown' to the host, as the English word is often understood), but the Greek word can also refer to the other party in the mutual guest-friend relationship - i.e. the host. This is how it is used in Rom. 16:23, and Homer, of course, uses the word in both senses also. I suspect that the Xenos Fellowship have in mind the Romans passage.

Joan

Post by Joan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:40 pm

RickC wrote: I know some charismatic Calvinists (online only, though) who don't emphasize Calvinism at all. One guy, a young 30s-ish pastor, has written me saying, "I'm done with controversies about Calvinism and Arminianism! The Kingdom of God is all that truly matters!"

I wrote back, "Amen!"
I totally enjoy agreeing with Calvinists about anything! LOL
That's how I look at it. There is so much to agree on. I love focusing on that.
I listened to the first message in the 2 Cor. series. So far, so great. Thanks again for helping me locate this church.

Apollos, Thanks for your insights. I like the way 'stranger' can refer both to us as sojourners, and to the church as a place of hospitality and welcome to strangers. It's a good name!

Joan

selah

Post by selah » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:50 am

Hi Rick and Joan:)

It's always good to read your thoughts. Hope you're both doing well.

I've got a different kind of "church search." In fact, maybe this post belongs on a different thread. Let me know if you want me to remove my post from this thead and start another one.

I'm looking for an Intentional Community having the Church within the community be the unifying basis of leadership for our way of life. Does anyone know of some Christian communities anywhere between Oregon, Washington or Idaho? The more I look into Intentional Communities and the more I have read the book of Acts, the more I like the idea of living in an intentional community, rather it is formalized into a legal entity is not important, but the Christian ideals are (to me).

Thanks! :)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Joan

Post by Joan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi Selah,

I puposely gave this thread a generic name, thinking it might be helpful to share our church and other fellowship searches under a single heading. Your intentional-community-search fits well. I'm glad you're here; I hope someone responds with helpful information.

Great to hear from you!

Joan

selah

Post by selah » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Joan wrote:Hi Selah,

I puposely gave this thread a generic name, thinking it might be helpful to share our church and other fellowship searches under a single heading. Your intentional-community-search fits well. I'm glad you're here; I hope someone responds with helpful information.

Great to hear from you!

Joan
Thanks Joan,

Actually, I found out today that I might be closer than I had thought. Wow, do I need to pray! :D

Great to hear from you too... :)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Joan

Post by Joan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:08 am

I'll be praying with you, Selah!

Return to “The Courtyard”