Derek

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
Derek

Derek

Post by Derek » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi all,

Well, I'm back. :)

It's been a while. Super concise catchup:

As most of you know, I have now gone through a divorce (a biblically justified divorce).

Basically, after four years of deliverance and joy-filled discipleship I completely backslid for over a year. I completely turned away from God and back to drugs, alcohol and a life of sin with a vengeance.

As of three months ago, (after some months of resisting Him), through the infinite Grace and Mercy of our Lord, I have repented of this madness and come back into His family. I gotta say, it's like I never left!! He is a truly merciful and truly great God!!

During this time I met a woman. We lived in complete sin together but are now married, (our first step of repentance), and committed to serving Jesus as husband and wife.

Love you guys. Looking forward to getting back into the word with you.

-Derek

steve7150

Re: Derek

Post by steve7150 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 pm

During this time I met a woman. We lived in complete sin together but are now married, (our first step of repentance), and committed to serving Jesus as husband and wife.

Love you guys. Looking forward to getting back into the word with you.

Derek, I'm thrilled you're back brother, it's so good to hear from you, i thought about you from time to time and so glad you're OK and back with the Lord and happy!

brody196

Post by brody196 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:10 pm

As you know Derek, I am so happy for you and look forward to meeting your new wife.

God bless.

roblaine

Post by roblaine » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:16 pm

God bless you Derek! Welcome home!

Robin
It matters little where a man may be at this moment; the point is whether he is growing.
-George MacDonald

steve

Post by steve » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:17 pm

We've missed you, Bro. Sorry about the disasters. Glad you're back!

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:28 pm

It's good to see you, Derek! I, too, thought about you from time to time and would pray that you would return to God. I'm so thankful that you have.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:20 am

Amen to all the above. Welcome back, Derek.
Suzana

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:28 am

Life is funny - God is Great!! Welcome back Derek!

RickC

Post by RickC » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:27 am

Hello Derek! (and everybody else) :)

I've not been around the forum much for a few months because:
~ I've been pretty active in a church, and Bible study/prayer groups.
~ (thus, less internet time)....

Brother Derek,

I'm a recovered alcoholic, and know what it's like to "go back out there" (relapse).
Like yourself, I backslid, and became a drunkard (aka, alcoholic).
I'd like to share this with you: from my profile on a dating site named christiancafe:

This section, especially verse 11a, has been very important in my life.

1 Corinthians 6 (NIV)
9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Comments

Verse 11 'converted' me from a popular belief (that many Christians believe, as I once did). Namely, that the habitual practice of certain sins are "diseases you'll have for life" (even if you stop committing those sins). What Paul wrote told me I had to stop drinking - if I wanted to inherit the Kingdom of God. I am no longer an alcoholic - in the name and power of the Lord Jesus Christ through the Spirit of our God. What the Bible says is past tense is past tense: forgiven, washed away, gone, done with. We've been declared a New Creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:17). When I believed the biblical teaching about this matter - over against what the secular-humanist model of reality says - I received strength and overcame. Again Paul, "But he [Jesus] said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me" (2 Cor 12:9, NIV).

So, it's great to be saved & clean & sober!
I wish you well, Derek, and know you will boast in the grace and strength of the Lord Jesus Christ - Who has delivered us all!

Have a great day, folks!
And God bless you and your wife, Derek! :)

Derek

Post by Derek » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 am

Rick C,

Hey brother!

I am in total agreement with you. I am delivered, and will remain so as long as I walk in the Spirit. It's funny you should say that. I actually started going to NA meetings, but that only lasted about a week. My sponsor was a non-Christian ( a Pagan, literally, actually). Obviously not good, as that's "standing in the counsel of the un-Godly". However, it was defending the faith to him that got me thinking about what the bible has to say about this stuff, and pretty much brought me back into the faith. I realized that I didn't "try religion and it didn't work" as the "book" would have me believe. I simply stopped walking in the Spirit. I just stopped following Jesus. I left. He never did, and never would!! I was free from this stuff for over three years, with hardly a temptation.

I do not believe in the disease concept of addiction, as it contradicts what the bible says in the verses you quoted. I do however believe that drugs and alcohol are a special area of temptation for me and I can never have even one drink. After all, if your eye causes you to sin... So even if I do have the freedom in Christ to drink in moderation, I cannot do it. I've learned that the hard way!

Thanks for the encouragement brother.

-Derek

Return to “The Courtyard”