Important Scripture Ignored Often

Roberto

Important Scripture Ignored Often

Post by Roberto » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:40 am

Doesn't it seem that the Hebrews 10 and 6 chapters are often ignored in discussion of hell's nature? It would seem that the "impossible to renew" verse of Hebrews 6 would be quite relevant here. Steve did not mention this in his Three Views of Hell audios, but they are quite salient.

Paidion

Re: Important Scripture Ignored Often

Post by Paidion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 pm

The word translated as "impossible" acutally means "no power"

For there is no power to renew to a change of heart and mind those who have once been enlightened ... if they deviate [from the narrow path] since they are re-crucifying for themselves the Son of God and publically shaming Him. Heb 6:4-6

If a person who is once enlightened and has become a true disciple of Christ, intentionally deviates from that path, and takes his own course in life, he is saying to the world that Christ's death hasn't done him any good, and thus publically declares that there the death of Christ serves no useful purpose. There is no power in heaven or earth that will change his mind.
The passage is not saying that it is impossible for him to change it, but that nothing can make him change it. He himself must choose to repent of his own free will.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Paidion,
Is it beyond God's ability to give power and left up to the human? But isn't God the One that has to grant repentance?
Thanks,
R

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Paidion,
Is it beyond God's ability to give power and left up to the human? But isn't God the One that has to grant repentance?
Thanks,

I think God grants everyone the choice to repent but we need to respond to the opportunity. Responding in faith is not a work , it's a heart choice which then motivates action. I think the word "impossible" is a bit of hyperbole meaning it's very difficult to return. Jesus said that a camel would sooner go through the eye of a needle then a rich man get into heaven but obviously that means it's difficult for a rich man to get into heaven.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Paidion wrote:The word translated as "impossible" acutally means "no power"

For there is no power to renew to a change of heart and mind those who have once been enlightened ... if they deviate [from the narrow path] since they are re-crucifying for themselves the Son of God and publically shaming Him. Heb 6:4-6

If a person who is once enlightened and has become a true disciple of Christ, intentionally deviates from that path, and takes his own course in life, he is saying to the world that Christ's death hasn't done him any good, and thus publically declares that there the death of Christ serves no useful purpose. There is no power in heaven or earth that will change his mind.
The passage is not saying that it is impossible for him to change it, but that nothing can make him change it. He himself must choose to repent of his own free will.
That sounds like a, what do you call that- a "tautology"? We can never really make someone change. Seems like an odd thing for Paul (or whoever) to say.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Roberto wrote:Hi Paidion,
Having been created in the image of God, mankind has the ability to choose, and God choses not interfere with man's libertarian free will, but permits man to carry out most of his free will choices. If this were not the case, one could blame God for allowing the atrocities which take place in the world — vicious murders, torture, rape of little girls, etc. — or at least question why he "allows" these atrocities to take place. As I see it, God not interfering with man's free will comprises a large part of the answer.

Since God has chosen not to interfere, then there is "no power" to repent for the man who insists on going his own way instead of God's, for there is "no power" which can force him to repent.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Views of Hell”