Conditional Immortality Links

RickC

Conditional Immortality Links

Post by RickC » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:47 am

Greetings, in Jesus!

I'll be posting these on the Eschatology board also.

Yesterday I found:
Glenn Peoples' Blog: Audios on Conditional Immortality
and
The Conditional Immortality Association of New Zealand
Check out Al Maxey's stuff there too {I've known about his site for several years}.

Glenn Peoples' talks are thought provoking and, well, awesome, imo!
The one on "Athanatius, Atonement, and Annihilation" is interesting not only on Conditional Immortality {aka, annihilationism}, but on "Were we created immortal?" and other things relating to "the fall of Adam" and "Christ, the second Adam", etc. Iow, Glenn touches on Christology, hamartiology, and soteriology: {stuff Calvinists & Arminians like to talk about}. His other "CI" talks and articles are in-depth. Glenn has audio and articles on other theology and philosophy topics also.

The "Beretta" theme/thing is weird, :shock:, but don't let that stop you: Great Stuff!

Till recently I was, maybe, 90% persuaded about Conditional Immortality.
I'm closer to 99.9% now...and will leave it at that....

Thanks, :)

Michelle

Re: Conditional Immortality Links

Post by Michelle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:05 am

Hi Rick,

Glenn Peoples' writings and podcasts helped convince me of conditional immortality as well. I think he's very easy and interesting to read/listen to. I'm not sure why he has that gun theme on his blog. He's a quite a character.

Michelle

RickC

Post by RickC » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:21 am

Hi Michelle,

I heard Glenn some time ago.
The Paltalk debate with Kelly Powers that Dee Dee Warren hosted.
I thought, "Powers to the Peoples!" :lol:, hehehe

I found Glenn's site by googling "Clark Pinnock annihilationism mp3"....
{not sure quite how that worked, prolly coz Glenn mentions him in an article}.

Is Glenn still "Theonomy" @ TheologyWeb?
{'might explain the Baretta thing/theme...duh, sorry, bad joke, nm}....
Still weird tho...DDW: Xena, & what-not; maybe who can have oddest site?
I sure hope he's not a Reconstructionist....
{plz say he's not...if possible!}
OK, I go now, :)

P.S. Don't be concerned about my "stay on topic" deal.
I mean, they're talking about the Trinity on an Islam board thread! :lol:

P.S.S. The C.I. Ass'n of NZ believes in "soul sleep."
On that, I'm not convinced....Bye!

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:09 pm

RickC wrote:Hi Michelle,

I heard Glenn some time ago.
The Paltalk debate with Kelly Powers that Dee Dee Warren hosted.
I thought, "Powers to the Peoples!" :lol:, hehehe
I heard that debate way back when.
I found Glenn's site by googling "Clark Pinnock annihilationism mp3"....
{not sure quite how that worked, prolly coz Glenn mentions him in an article}.

Is Glenn still "Theonomy" @ TheologyWeb?
{'might explain the Baretta thing/theme...duh, sorry, bad joke, nm}....
No, he goes by something different now.
Still weird tho...DDW: Xena, & what-not; maybe who can have oddest site?
They are both a little unusual, and they are good friends. Perhaps they've rubbed off on each other.
I sure hope he's not a Reconstructionist....
{plz say he's not...if possible!}
Sorry, he is, but he doesn't like the label.
OK, I go now, :)
I'm on my lunch hour and have a child discipline matter to work on, so I'd better be going as well.
I agree with Suzana in that I like conversations to go wherever they end up, but I realize a lot of people get frustrated with that.
P.S.S. The C.I. Ass'n of NZ believes in "soul sleep."
On that, I'm not convinced....Bye!
I guess you can't have everything??
Last edited by Michelle on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:46 pm

Michelle wrote:
RickC wrote:
I agree with Suzana in that I like conversations to go wherever they end up, but I realize a lot of people get frustrated with that.
That's why I say "Move the meat of the discussions into http://www.theos.org/wiki. Let's put our collective consciousness into some sort of organized presentation. -- I really should have said "collective knowledge" -- but the other way sound so sci-fi.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

RickC

Post by RickC » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Mike,

You asked before but...all that wiki stuff's beyond my level of geekiness.
But apparently, not yours, so: Go4it!

Michelle,

A few years ago I emailed Dee Dee Warren and asked why she has an image posted on her site of the sexually provocative Lucy Lawless {as "Xena" from the TV series}. She replied and explained her reasons. I replied in protest; not so much because I don't like the picture {which I don't}, but because I felt it was: 1) strange, especially for a Christian and, 2) Xena resembles an occult figure {like a mythological 'new age' goddess}; again, 'out-of-synch' for a Christian. Dee Dee replied in kind, saying she was going to keep the image, regardless of how it looked or could affect anyone: A non-Christian or Christian might think it's a new age site, as I had also mentioned; this was my initial impression! {I found it via google}. I think she mentioned something about how I shouldn't get offended {in my conscience}; that I should be a 'grown up'. I thanked her for her input and will never get 'grown up enough' to "like?" or "be tolerant of?" {did she mean?} sexually provocative pictures. In my last reply I said something like, "Sorry, but I guess it's just because I'm a man. Thank you for replying"...and left it at that...the discussion ended....

In the meantime, I got the Firefox browser "Adblock" feature, which can block out ads, flash stuff, youtube blurbs, and images, etc. I haven't seen "Xena" since! and just blocked out Glenn Peoples' "gun" {for whatever reason he has it...'reconstructionism'...or what have you}. He has his reasons...but to me it really isn't the best witness. But that's between Glenn and God...as is Dee Dee's "Xena"....

Btw, I always try to remember warn people about Dee Dee's "Xena" when I recommend stuff on her site, warn about offensive images that appear on TheologyWeb {like that guy who's dressed up as a transvestite, whether he? is or isn't?, who I also Adblocked}, and will probably do a warning about Glenn's "gun."

I grew up in a Pentecostal-Holiness church...and still have some of that old time Pentecostal "separation from the world" mentality. I thank God for it! as I don't waste time or money on entertainment, among many other "pluses." There's so much Bible to study! too many people to witness to! and a limited amount of time!!!

Have a good evening, thanks, :)

P.S. Oh yeah!
I'm sure I'll post more stuff about Conditional Immortality on the thread!
'Matter a fact, I'd be willing to even talk about it! ;)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Hey Rick,

I really like Dee Dee; she's offbeat, she's intelligent, and she's fun to clown around with. I like working for her at TheologyWeb, as well. She and I seem to have some similar issues, both in our pasts and in the present, that we talk about and sometimes pray about together. I like Glenn, too, although I don't know him as well. He's brilliant, yet he explains things in a way that I can understand without being condescending. He also clowns around a lot, but actually can be very sensitive and seems deeply devoted to his wife and children.

I'll take your word for it about the offensiveness of the images of Xena. She doesn't seem to be a symbol of occultism, but I only watched that program a few times and am unsure of who Xena was supposed to be. I was under the impression that she was a warrior, not some kind of goddess, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not overly fond of violence, even pretend violence, so I avoided the program. I don't find her costume to be immodest, but sometimes I think my modesty meter is on the fritz, so I'll take your word for it.

Dee Dee has explained her reasons for her obsession with this character, and what she told me had nothing to do with confusing people about whether or not she's a Christian. I am really surprised if that's what she told you, although the sentence you wrote that first led me to believe that was what she said could be taken to mean that you were the one who said that the images were confusing.

I have no idea why Glenn uses the beretta image on his blog. Why do you feel that you need to warn people about it? Are you afraid that he is promoting violence? My impression is that he's actually a very gentle man who would not resort to violence in any circumstance, except possibly the death penalty, I guess. Or were you talking about warning people away from his reconstructionist bent? Do you find that to be a dangerous view?

I know I fail miserably on the holiness and separation from the world thing. Hopefully I'll get better at it, even while maintaining my friendship with friends like Dee Dee and Glenn.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:50 pm

Hello Bro Rick!

You wrote:
I grew up in a Pentecostal-Holiness church...and still have some of that old time Pentecostal "separation from the world" mentality.
My wife was AG in her teen years. They were very much into the mentality you mention. Women didn't shave their legs or under their arms. My good Pentecostal friend Dave & I didn't even square dance in grade school - we were the only ones. What has happened to those Pentecostal folks? Now some of their women you see on TV look like they just came in from standing under a lamp post on the street corner.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:07 pm

RickC wrote:Hi Michelle,...

And, I might add, discussing the immortality of the soul on the Marriage & Divorce thread.... :twisted:
I agree with Suzana in that I like conversations to go wherever they end up, but I realize a lot of people get frustrated with that.(Michelle)
:oops: to anyone thus frustrated: sorry, sorry, sorry...but honestly the original topics did evolve quite naturally...
RickC wrote:P.S. Oh yeah!
I'm sure I'll post more stuff about Conditional Immortality on the thread!
uh-ho, Rick, have we led you astray? :(
c'mon.... :cry: ...admit it's fun to meander a little bit? sometimes? and then get back to the main path?
Sue :)
Suzana

RickC

Post by RickC » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:25 am

Hi Michelle,

Let me try this again....
I found Dee Dee's sight by googling "hyper-preterism" {I think it was, or something like that}.
Then I saw "Xena" and thought, What is THIS? Some kind of whacko cult site?

Dee Dee did tell me about her fascination with "Xena" and so on. How she sort of resembles Lucy Lawless & etc.

Btw, I, too, don't care for 'watching' any violence.

Anyway.
Dee Dee and Glenn can do whatever they want. Everyone does.
I wanted to Adblock their images...and did...so that covers that!
We'll all stand before the Lord in judgment to give an account of ourselves some day....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Homer!

I grew up in a Pentecostal-Holiness church, not the AG. The AG was seen as pretty "liberal" from our perspective back then.

When I went to an AG Bible college in the late 70s & early 80s, short skirts were in style. Some women at the college wore them as short as the college would allow: 2 inches above the knee. That was plenty short enuf! Many women pushed the limits on this and on exposing their "top." They had a standard on that too; I can't recall what it was. Dress codes for both sexes were explained in gatherings of each sex, separately, by adult student leaders {staff}.

Yes, some women dress provocatively in churches. But these days, I have my former "evil eye" trained, Brother! Yessir, BOTH eyes! The Spirit of God is a true helper in any time of any kind of need, in Jesus' Name, Amen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Sue,

Yeah, OK, I don't have to be "serious" and perfectly on-topic all the time....
But could you guys please give links to threads, perhaps?
You know, something like:
"Theistic Evolution Debate on Eschatology Board Starting: Sometime Later, Maybe."
"How to Tune a Guitar: Coz If You DON'T I'm Gonna DIE: See "Why Do We Die?" Thread"
"Islam Topic Fully Abandoned: See Best Trinity Discussion EVER On The Web: Here"
"How To Know You Know Everything God Does: See Calvinism, Become a Calvinist"
"Meet Saved Singles Chat & Be The "Singly" Only Lonely DWEEB In-The-Chat: Join NOW!"
{I already know I'm single! & haven't had a 'date' since 1994! um, how depressing, :cry: )....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See ya, folks! :)
Last edited by RickC on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Views of Hell”