Really Good Video Compilation

TK

Really Good Video Compilation

Post by TK » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 pm

I saw this the other day and thought it was pretty powerful. It addresses "the narrrow path". A couple of the speakers (Paul Washer, Piper) I believe are pretty strong calvinists but they really address the need to endure to the end. They seem to suggest that it is up to the individual to endure to the end, not that they are merely "carried" to the end.

I encourage you to give it a listen. Lots of "christians" need to hear this message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLLOH7q ... re=related

TK

Joan

Re: Really Good Video Compilation

Post by Joan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Sobering and powerful. Thanks for sharing it, TK.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't understand how a Calvinist deals with someone who pray honestly the prayer and consider themselves seeking to please God but don't understand what that means and are not "elect."

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:02 pm

It was a well done video, no doubt about it. It plays on emotion, puts you on a guilt trip, puts your confession of faith in question and establishes the life long question in hearts of men asking "Am I really saved?"

But on the other hand, the enduring to the end was for a people who were in the time of persecution, in a time of working out their salvation, in a time of perfecting their body for the kingdom by eliminating the problems within themselves - all first century times for the coming of the Lord and His kingdom.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't know, Allyn. I really think there a lot of people today who have a good dose of false assurance, whether they are under persecution or not.

TK

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:18 pm

TK wrote:I don't know, Allyn. I really think there a lot of people today who have a good dose of false assurance, whether they are under persecution or not.

TK
That part is true, TK.

But the fact remain that it was the first century church who was the intended audiance for those things like that which the NT writers were speaking of.

Joan

Post by Joan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 pm

It didn't bother me. I looked past all that part. I love it that it put my heart in a state of awe.
What an amazingly powerful, holy God we serve!
Joan

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 pm

I don't understand how a Calvinist deals with someone who pray honestly the prayer and consider themselves seeking to please God but don't understand what that means and are not "elect." (Darin)
I don't understand and am utterly bemused how Calvinists can produce a video like this (or if they haven't, how they can preach this way), if they really believe that God determines everything, meticulously. What could they possibly hope to achieve, if we are all puppets, and are completely unable to change what God has pre-ordained for us anyway? Why rail at us? Why not complain to God instead, since they think He is the one who has determined all these things to be exactly as they are? :?

I don't know any Calvinists personally (to my knowledge) and can only conclude that deep down they don't really believe what their doctrine teaches, or are ignorant of it, or else they are unaware of the practical implications.

But :!:
Regardless of these underlying and perplexing issues, hopefully there will be lukewarm Christians who will see this video, heed the quoted scriptures and be convicted to change; and those with false assurance may be impacted and brought to examine themselves.
Suzana

Joan

Post by Joan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:31 am

I know some strong Calvinists. I can't imagine that they see themselves as puppets. I want to talk with them a bit, find out how they see these things. I'll let you know what I learn.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:13 pm

There is a way to preach holiness that convicts of sin and brings about change, but I also felt this video was designed, as Allyn said, “to play on emotion, put you on a guilt trip, etc., etc.” playing on the flesh, rather than accomplishing a work of the Spirit in the hearer.

Many of the words in this might have been biblically correct, but any power to convict or change me was lost in the showmanship, the fast cutting and video technique. It seemed they were railing at us, as Suzana put it.

Over the years that I was an unbeliever, people tried to scare me with Hell, but then I met some Christians who walked in relationship with Him and inspired me to want to meet Him and live with Him forever.

I was in a Bible study with a Calvinist and she said flat out that we are marionettes. I could hardly believe my ears.

“The preaching of the Gospel can actually be voided of its power if it is expressed in the eloquent wisdom of men.” Art Katz, Apostolic Foundations, “The Word of the Cross”.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”