1 Corinthians 2:14

seer

Re: 1 Corinthians 2:14

Post by seer » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:39 pm

darinhouston wrote:
seer wrote:
darinhouston wrote: Speak for yourself ;) -- that's not what I believe and I don't think it's what most around here believe either.
So is biblical faith a gift of God? Do all have this gift?
In my opinion yes it is a gift of God and that all have the potential of receiving it, but must be willing to do what's necessary to receive it.
Back to you again... You must do what is necessary. It's all about you... Besides I don't see "potential" faith in scripture. It seems to me that if you have biblical faith, you have it, and if you don't you don't.
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:52 pm

seer wrote:
darinhouston wrote:
seer wrote:
In my opinion yes it is a gift of God and that all have the potential of receiving it, but must be willing to do what's necessary to receive it.
Back to you again... You must do what is necessary. It's all about you... Besides I don't see "potential" faith in scripture. It seems to me that if you have biblical faith, you have it, and if you don't you don't.
I have the potential to eat dinner tonight but that doesn't mean there's something called "potential dinner" does it?

I listened to your call and thought it was excellent though it doesn't seem to have resolved this issue for you - you still seem to think we believe something we (at least I) don't believe. By the way, ibhabe my inlaws to thank for my dinner tonight and I had nothing tondo with it other than securing to come stay with them and receive their loving care and assistance as we escaped Houston. There are people in my neighborhood without power who chose to stay - even some who I offered assistance to. I wish they'd accepted my offer, but they didn't. I have nothing to boast about for my choice, but I'm very thankful nonetheless. I could have wrestled them to the ground and thrown them in my car, but that's not my style. Likewise, I don't think God does that either, so He must "wait" for something.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:53 pm

Turning to "experience," one thing I have always wanted the Calvinist to "think about" (recognizing the answer isn't all that likely to benefit the discussion) is this....

In my experience, and in the experience of "most" faithful Christians I've known, virtually every "good" thing they've ever done in their life was when we"submitted" willingly to God's will -- whether careers, marriage, money decisions, you name it -- if we try to resist God's will or cling to something we want to happen, we are frequently if not always met with frustration or ill effects. But, when we "let go and let God" as the saying goes, things just seem to work out. It's as if God holds back His grace as He "waits" for us to surrender our own will and seek His. If so, then why would salvation be the only thing where God didn't "work" that way? God does intervene sovereignly even when we don't submit, but it doesn't appear to be normative for every little thing or even big things in individual lives.

This is a rhetorical question, but I'd welcome your response (if any) beyond "it pleases Him to do so".

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:16 am

seer wrote:
darinhouston wrote: Speak for yourself ;) -- that's not what I believe and I don't think it's what most around here believe either.
The way I see it, faith comes by hearing. Jesus marvaled at the lack of faith He saw in Israel. Why would that be the case if He knew that "it's all God's doing"? It seems that truth is given to man, he accepts it or rejects it. Man doesn't wake up one day and say "I'll save myself by believing God so He's gotta jump to my call and rescue me from sin and death". Man is given the gospel by God, man didn't invent this. Faith is then trusting the message, that God has done it. Faith in God is believing God must save you because you can't do anything to save yourself!
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

21centpilgrim

Post by 21centpilgrim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 am

Sean wrote:1Cor 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Paul goes on to say:

1Cor 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not carnal?

It seems to say that Paul could not speak to these people as spiritual people but as if they were carnal, mere (natural) men. Meaning that even though the Spiritual things are discerned by the Spirit, these people could not understand Spiritual things. But apparently they could understand "Christ and Him crucified".

However, the Calvinist can say that in chapter 1 Paul says: (1 Cor 1:18) For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. This is then equated with the "foolishness" mentioned in 1 cor 2:14 so as to mean the message of the cross is foolishness to the natural man.

Any comments or thoughts?
Sean, I think the Corinthian believers addressed in ch 3:1- were acting like they were just natural men. the two verses 1 Cor. 2:14 and 1Cor.3 might be addressing different people.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Sean,

I'm voting "Yes" for your commentary on this passage.

I agreed with what you said. The context of the passage mentioned about level of spirituality and these are :

1) Spiritual babes

2) Spiritual maturity

Paul could not give the Corinthians solid foods because although they are spiritual, they are also spiritual baby.

The Corinthians could not discern the deeper meanings of God's Words.

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”