John 8:34 and Romans 5:12: A mini-debate I had

RickC

John 8:34 and Romans 5:12: A mini-debate I had

Post by RickC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:14 am

I participated in a very short email debate with a Calvinist (which I'm posting below). This was all there was: I got an email, and replied. Why they didn't respond, I don't know.
An Anonymous Calvinist wrote:Let me explain something about Calvinism that really makes sense from the Bible. Here goes:

Do we sin? (yes)
Do we sin freely? (yes)
Could we not sin?
(We are slaves to sin, John 8:34)
Why can't we NOT not sin?
(because we are born sinners)
If you CANNOT not sin how can you be sinning FREELY?
(you act consistent with your nature)

Okay, the issue is FREE WILL!
There are two types of free will.
Libertarian- an act is free if you chose and could have done otherwise.
(I could have wore a red tie or blue)
Compatibalism- I choose what is consistent with my nature.
(I can be very creative at choosing how to sin)

In our natural condition our hearts are set against God.
We are confirmed in our rebellion.
This is what we chose in Adam, Romans 5:12.
A lot to think about!

My (Only) Reply
In John 8:34 and surrounding context we find Jesus in a 'debate' about 'ancestral' issues. The discussion's theme was: Who are the true children of Abraham? (that is, the actual children of God). Jesus' opponents laid claim to Abraham as their father - by way of their ethnic/racial ancestry. Jesus told them they had demonstrated they weren't the true children of Abraham, that their deeds had proven them otherwise (John 8:39).

Jesus confronted these contemporaries of his about their present state, that they are "slaves of sin" - as opposed to being "Abraham imitators" (who demonstrate they are truly God's children by their righteous deeds). Nothing is said to the effect that they couldn't change their ways. Nor more specifically that, in order to do so, they had to receive a "new nature" before doing so. Jesus knew nothing of persons having more than one will, nor a separate personality. The reason why is neither exist.
==========

Nothing Jesus said can be shown to be in concert with what would later be known as 'original sin' (the doctrine invented by Augustine, and later revived by Luther and Calvin). The Bible says nothing about one's choices being the fault of another. Jesus never held anyone responsible for someone else's actions or choices. He held all accountable for their own deeds, resulting from their own choices - because they were freely and fully responsible for themselves before God.

Augustine's understanding of Romans 5:12 was based on the Latin Vulgate translation of the Bible. He did not know Koine (NT) Greek.
The Latin Vulgate reads:
By one man sin entered the world, and death by sin; so death passed upon all men, for in him all men sinned.
The (incorrect) phrase "for in him all men sinned" is inadmissible as evidence in support of your argument.

The NASB (a literal translation from the Greek) reads:
Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—
The (correct) phrase "because all sinned" means no more, nor less. A statement of existential fact in human experience.
============

Thus, your arguments, in which you cited two scriptures, are wrong on two accounts.
1) Re: John 8:34
Your Hermeneutical Errors are,
a) Eiesegesis, as evidenced by,
b) extracting a verse from its context with,
c) proof-texting, taking an individual verse to try make mean something other than what it does.
You said "We are slaves to sin", which was your first mistake. You quoted a verse in which "we" were not being spoken to. Jesus was speaking to his contemporaries about their lives and spiritual condition. You lifted the verse from its context (its original meaning) and imported an incorrect new meaning onto it from another source.
2) Re: Romans 5:12
Your Hermeneutical Error is, a) Accepting a doctrine which stemmed from a wrong translation.
As above, the original basis of Calvinist doctrine, in terms of Romans 5:12, came from misunderstanding it. Though correct translations have been made since, Calvinists still hold to Augustine's misunderstanding. There is no supporting evidence for holding to the doctrine of 'original sin' in Romans 5:12.
3) You also inferred, "We can't NOT sin because we are born sinners" with no scriptural support. Thus, though I disagree, I won't reply to it, other than to say you've provided no support for your argument.
I posted this, as it came up in another discussion, in which we were talking about good hermeneutics and trying not to make the mistake of "asking the Bible wrong questions" and, thus, to come away with incorrect answers. My Calvinist friend, along with Augustine, "saw" answers to questions they had asked, in the scriptures. They missed the real (actual) context, and, in Augustine's case w/r/t Romans 5:12, misunderstood the verse. Augustine, perhaps, shouldn't be totally 'blamed' for this error. I'm sure some of us have held incorrect beliefs due to a bad translation; accepting it without knowing any better. However, Augustine knew he did not know Greek and put confidence in scholars who did. Let's learn from Augustine and not repeat this mistake!

Thanks, :)
Last edited by RickC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

kaufmannphillips

Re: John 8:34 and Romans 5:12: A mini-debate I had

Post by kaufmannphillips » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:44 am

RE: being "slaves to sin"...

Some slaves may be unable - practically speaking, under standard conditions - to choose to end their slavery. But other slaves are able to choose to end their slavery - say, by running away, or by pursuing extra labor to pay the price of their liberation.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:47 pm

kaufmannphillips wrote:RE: being "slaves to sin"...

Some slaves may be unable - practically speaking, under standard conditions - to choose to end their slavery. But other slaves are able to choose to end their slavery - say, by running away, or by pursuing extra labor to pay the price of their liberation.
...or, you know, some might be bought by another master...

RickC

Post by RickC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi KP,
RE: being "slaves to sin"...

John 8:34 (NKJV) bolded, in context
31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with your father.”
39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.”
Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”
Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

In v. 34, a "slave of sin" is the resultant, present, condition or state of one who has sinned. Throughout the entire passage Jesus reiterates that such a state was brought upon oneself: v. 33, a trust in ancestral and/or religious heritage, rather than in God Himself; pride in being in such a state; v. 37, the refusal to allow Jesus' words in them (a sin), v. 38, with the concurrent and continuing doing of the deeds (works, actions) of their father (the devil); v. 39, Jesus reasons that they aren't "Abraham imitators" and would be, if they were; v. 40, Jesus' opponents have murder on their minds and in their hearts, they plot to kill him (murder is a sin, plotting the murder of the innocent, the same); v. 42, their lack of the love toward God (cf. Mark 12:30-31, Deu 6:4-5, Lev 19:18); v. 43, again, their refusal to listen to his word(s), "listening" in Hebrew thought is never separated from actions - actions which proceed from the the desires in one's heart (cf. Matt 15:19, Lu 6:45); v. 44, Jesus' opponents were held accountable for their actions, what they wanted to do; vs. 45-47, resisting the words of a righteous man, not believing them ("hearing" = "believing " = "doing" in Hebrew culture), the willful alignment (choice) to be "of the devil" (in thought and deed).

Whether slaves (or servants, bondsmen) in the first century could escape, purchase their way to freedom, or not, is not what Jesus directly addressed in this passage. All Jews would have known these things were possible. Rather, Jesus' concentration was to demonstrate and prove that the current status of his detractors was that they were servants of the devil - not God. In short, they were satisfied with their current status, and ways of doing things "with God on our side" (NOT). Jesus did all he could to convince them otherwise; directly challenging them "in their face" point by point. Then they killed him.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi, Michelle,
Michelle wrote:
kaufmannphillips wrote:RE: being "slaves to sin"...

...or, you know, some might be bought by another master...
That scenario would not address the issue of a slave's choice. The Calvinist can claim that the new master purchases the slave without his or her consent. The key problem is that the Calvinist imagines a slave to have no capacity for independent choice. Many slaves do have the capacity to choose liberation, but choose not to pursue it.

But, then again:

"No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you." {John 15:15} For what it is worth, John has Jesus saying this before his crucifixion.
Last edited by kaufmannphillips on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi, Rick,
RickC wrote:
In v. 34, a "slave of sin" is the resultant, present, condition or state of one who has sinned.
In v. 34, the action is participial: "Each who is doing sin is a slave of sin." It is not a resultant state; it is a concomitant state.
RickC wrote:
Whether slaves (or servants, bondsmen) in the first century could escape, purchase their way to freedom, or not, is not what Jesus directly addressed in this passage. All Jews would have known these things were possible.
But apparently not all Calvinists are sensitive to this :) .
========================
========================

RickC

Post by RickC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:22 pm

kaufmannphillips wrote:Hi, Rick,
RickC wrote:
In v. 34, a "slave of sin" is the resultant, present, condition or state of one who has sinned.
To which KP added:
In v. 34, the action is participial: "Each who is doing sin is a slave of sin." It is not a resultant state; it is a concomitant state.
Agreed.
I might have better had (something like) :
"The one who practices sin is reaping the natural result; that of being enslaved in it."
RickC wrote:
Whether slaves (or servants, bondsmen) in the first century could escape, purchase their way to freedom, or not, is not what Jesus directly addressed in this passage. All Jews would have known these things were possible.

To which KP replied:
But apparently not all Calvinists are sensitive to this :) .
In a most apparent sense of meaning.

I almost posted a translation note from NET Bible. It was correct about Greek word meanings in v. 34. Only to go on with 'Calvinistic interpretations' of the verse (with a clear line of delineation betwixt the two). I'm pretty sensitive about stuff like that.
So I skipped it.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks for posting this Rick. I can't say I'm surprised he didn't respond.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

RickC

Post by RickC » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:36 pm

You're welcome, Sean.
Haven't 'seen' you in a while, gtsy! :)

I really wanted to 'engage' with the guy, but...???
'Been trying to understand/comprehend 'the Calvinist mind' for some time now.
What with - significant others of mine being Calvinists:
-- My cousin, who I witnessed to a long time ago, he got saved, later becoming a Calvinist....
-- Sisters (as well as Brothers) I've been writing on Christian dating sites....
-- Others (I know online, some since recently, others for some time now)....
======================================================

Btw, I did see your posts on the thread where you linked to:
Calvinism: A Closer Look, by Daniel Gracely
So far I've read 6 chapters, great read, thanx!
Take care! :)
Last edited by RickC on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:55 am

RickC wrote:You're welcome, Sean.
Haven't 'seen' you in a while, gtsy! :)
Been busy and work a different shift now. Trying to get used to it.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”