Radio Show (James White, Roger Forster, Greg Boyd)

Sean

Re: Radio Show (James White, Roger Forster, Greg Boyd)

Post by Sean » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:43 am

leeweiland wrote:Daniel Gracley has a good book on Calvinism dealing with the major players and their argumentation.
You can view it at http://www.xcalvinist.com
Has anyone already read this?
Thanks for posting the link. I'll try and read it through when I get a chance.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:17 pm

The first of these conversations just came up today on Unbelieveable's podcast/website.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 pm

I listened to it today -- it wasn't too informative, but it was neat to hear Forster (and his wife) speak with White. I think the format was a little weak, but they did a good job interacting with him. It's hard to get too disagreeable with them - they were very -- how do you say? irenic... and they nicely pointed out several times where White was being a bit on the boorish side and criticized him for, among other things, mis-characterizing them and their position. Near the end there was an interesting little exchange where they asked him why it was so important for him to be so dogmatic and to deny the possibility that well meaning scholars and honest exegetes could come to a different conclusion and still fellowship together. They asked him if his "Dividing Line" was really wise to hold onto and whether he believed you couldn't properly evangelize with a wrong view of freewill, etc., and he surprisingly answered yes, though his reasons were things that were not a part of the arminian (or it seemed Forster's) opinions. It seems that he has such a straw man in his mind that though he tries to avoid it in his arguments, it comes out in his reasoning.

Next week's on "hell."

leeweiland

Post by leeweiland » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm going to listen to the program today. Thanks for the tip. i've talked to james white and he says he is perfectly confident in his calvinistic views and is just as perfectly confident that nothing could exegetically trump his theological system. his confidence quickly becomes something more visible than the gospel he preaches, so much so that, though he occasionally talks a good game about humility, he becomes repugnantly arrogant to the extent that he seems to spend more time defending himself than defending the gospel. i wish he would allow himself to be corrected and repent, as visible an individual as he is. i also wish that more people would study as much and look for as many opportunities to defend the faith in public as he does.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 pm

leeweiland wrote:I'm going to listen to the program today. Thanks for the tip. i've talked to james white and he says he is perfectly confident in his calvinistic views and is just as perfectly confident that nothing could exegetically trump his theological system. his confidence quickly becomes something more visible than the gospel he preaches, so much so that, though he occasionally talks a good game about humility, he becomes repugnantly arrogant to the extent that he seems to spend more time defending himself than defending the gospel. i wish he would allow himself to be corrected and repent, as visible an individual as he is. i also wish that more people would study as much and look for as many opportunities to defend the faith in public as he does.
amen!

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”