Lectures for the First Module have been posted

Information regarding The Narrow Path Ministries.
steve

Lectures for the First Module have been posted

Post by steve » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 am

Hi All,

Jarrod has just posted the lectures of the first module of the school at http://theos.org/media/section/20 . In case you did not already know, the same link (minus the "section/20") has the largest collection of my past lectures online, I think.

There is also (at the bottom) a live recording of our worship up there at the school. It was just recorded by a handheld recorder in the room, so don't expect professional quality, but the songs are edifying. I may not be able to keep these posted indefinitely, as I am not sure if having them there is a copyright infringement for any of the songs (Darin would probably know).

brody196

Re: Lectures for the First Module have been posted

Post by brody196 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Listening to the worship now, very edifying stuff!

Is that you playing acoustic guitar on the songs? It all sounds so fresh! God has blessed you with many gifts Steve.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:43 pm

The loud (too loud!) strumming is my guitar. The occasional licks you can barely hear in the background (the actually good guitar playing) is Rich playing along. Ironically, my guitar was not amplified and his was! The recorder was apparently too close to me. Also, my voice is too loud. I wish Rich's vocal harmonies, and those of the students could be heard a bit louder. Also, one of the students, exuberant and loud, tended to sing flat (to say nothing of my also singing flat—but I had an excuse. I began the school with laryngitis and had taught 18 hours that week before the worship night. Excuses, excuses!).

Having made all those negative comments about the quality of the recording, I really think those songs are powerful and uplifting! They are all from the seventies and eighties (except, possibly, a few from the nineties). None of them are my own compositions...which is why I worry about the copyright infringement of posting them.

The last several songs (the ones with the different voices) were songs led by Rich and Naomi—two students. The reggae-sounding one was Rich's own song (he has written a bunch and I like them all).

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:06 pm

I hate to be the bearer, but unless the lyrics and arrangement are in the public domain (can be complicated, but generally 50-70 years old or older) then the posting would likely not be allowed without permission. Though not at all clear, the performance at the school is probably fair use. If old public domain arrangements are used, and the text is scripture, then either use would be permitted along with original works of Rich (with his permission of course).

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:12 pm

darinhouston wrote:I hate to be the bearer, but unless the lyrics and arrangement are in the public domain (can be complicated, but generally 50-70 years old or older) then the posting would likely not be allowed without permission. Though not at all clear, the performance at the school is probably fair use. If old public domain arrangements are used, and the text is scripture, then either use would be permitted along with original works of Rich (with his permission of course).
I must admit, though, I'm really enjoying them - such a sweet fragrance. Is that the same "Rich" as RichInChrist on here?

steve

Post by steve » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Darin—Yes, it's the same Rich...

Jarrod—I think you probably should. Thanks!

brody196

Post by brody196 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 am

jarrod wrote:
darinhouston wrote: I must admit, though, I'm really enjoying them - such a sweet fragrance. Is that the same "Rich" as RichInChrist on here?
So I have to take them down? :cry:
If you take them down, can you send a copy of them to me through my email? I won't post them anywhere, I just want them for my own personal use.

My email address is brody196@hotmail.com

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks for posting these! Too bad I missed the music. :(
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

jkobilan

Post by jkobilan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Woohoo! I'm excited to get to listen to some of your new teaching, Steve!

I'd like to make a suggestion though. I downloaded all the lectures and they were pretty quiet and kind of hard to hear. I'm a young dude with good hearing, but even with the volume all the way up on my computer, in Windows Media Player, and on my headphones, I still had a hard time.

So I downloaded a free program called Goldwave and was easily able to double the volume by doing a batch job on all the MP3s. It took about an hour to them all, and now I can hear just fine.

Maybe if other people have the same problem, you could have Jarrod or whoever do something similar and re-post them.

Thanks,

Jason

jkobilan

Post by jkobilan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 pm

By the way, are you still going to have videos posted as you've said previously?

(I assume so, and that videos just take longer).

Return to “Announcements”