A local flood?

_djeaton

A local flood?

Post by _djeaton » Wed May 10, 2006 9:55 pm

On another post, this took place...
Micah wrote:
Also, what did the animals eat for the first year or two while they repopulated the earth?
DJEaton wrote:
Each other? LOL This is actually an argument used by proponants of a local flood (I can go either way there, but on a new topic please :) )
Micah wrote:
Please, go ahead I would like to see how one comes up with a local flood out of scriptures.
Before I post some reasons, let me say up front that I am not taking this position. You can post replies if you wish, and I will try to respond to them if I know the answer, but don't expect to try to convince me that my opinion is wrong. I'm not convinced of this interpretation...just that it has some valid points. I may not list all the reasons for the interpretation and I may not list them in the the best way, but here goes....
1. The flood story is told from Noah's perspective. "All" was everything that he knew of.
2. There is no geological evidence of a single global flood
3. "Erets" in Genesis 6 is the word for "land". It is used for the "Land" of Israel, The Promised "Land", The United "States" of America. You plant your crops in it. You can conquer it.
4. Nephilim existed in the world both before and after the flood. They were not on the ark.
5. Where did the food come from after the flood?
6. Young-earth flood-geology science does not stand up to scrutiny
7. The water returned to where it came from after the flood. If the whole world was covered, where did it go?
8. How did animals from other continents make it to the ark?
9. How do you explain the vast diversity in life today scattered across multiple continents if it only started with a limited number of animals 5000 years ago?
10. If the whole planet was covered over the top of the highest mountains, how did it all evaporate in 150 days or so?
11. Archeological evidence of other cultures seems uninterrupted
12. Genesis 4 refers to descendants of Lamech (not Noah) in present tense.

If you want detail to back up this interpretation, see
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
http://www.geocities.com/darrickdean/noahsflood.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/DeafPreterist/noah.html

Whether you believe in a global flood, a local flood, or no physical flood at all, some explanation has to be made for the arguments above. Like I said in the other post, I think that those that are more open to a less global approach to Revelation, say the Preterist view, are probably more open to a less global interpretation of the creation and flood accounts.
D.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu May 11, 2006 10:52 am

This is a big subject, so this point, I will make one observation:
There is no geological evidence of a single global flood
For one who is convinced of geological evolution over millions of years, there is no evidence of a single "global flood". The reason he is blinded to the evidence, is that he interprets that evidence from the point of view of gradual change over long periods, or from postulating a number of "ice ages" to explain striations in rocks, and other phenomena.

Such material evidence can be explained more adequately by the postulation of a world-wide flood. This flood was not a nice gentle covering of the earth, but a mad rush of violent waters in every direction, some layers going in one direction, and others in other directions. This rush of water moved timbers and rocks vast distances.

How does evolutionary theory explain the frozen forest in the Artic region?
This is not a petrified forest; it is a frozen forest whose wood can still be burned.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Thu May 11, 2006 11:56 am

Paidion wrote:For one who is convinced of geological evolution over millions of years, there is no evidence of a single "global flood". The reason he is blinded to the evidence, is that he interprets that evidence from the point of view of gradual change over long periods, or from postulating a number of "ice ages" to explain striations in rocks, and other phenomena.
But to infer that anyone that looks at the earth and sees age is doing so because of "evolution" is not fair. It paints with a much too broad brush. Besides, geology is just one of the hurdles that the young-earth creationist needs to address.
Such material evidence can be explained more adequately by the postulation of a world-wide flood. This flood was not a nice gentle covering of the earth, but a mad rush of violent waters in every direction, some layers going in one direction, and others in other directions. This rush of water moved timbers and rocks vast distances.
So I have heard... LOL Reminds me of the quote "when water really gets in a hurry, it can pile things in quite a wonderful manner"...but of course that quote is based on something other than the Bible.
How does evolutionary theory explain the frozen forest in the Artic region?
This is not a petrified forest; it is a frozen forest whose wood can still be burned.
People in the old-earth camp have a lot more time to explain perceived anomolies.

It was not really my intention to turn this topic into a young-earth versus old-earth fight. I was asked to provide some reasons why some people believe in a local flood. I listed a dozen. If you want to turn it into a topic on geological anomolies that either side needs to answer, we can. That was not my intent though. The sole reason that I mention geology as an evidence for a local flood is that anololies on the old-earth side tend to support the possibility of a flood in a particular area. Anomolies on the young-earth side tend to support the impossibility of a global flood happening that produce all the results that the young-earth advocates claim.
D.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu May 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Hi djeaton,

I confess to belief in a global flood. I don't profess to be an expert in either geology or archaeology, so my answers to your questions are not really scientific. My answers would come more from what I might regard to be "common sense." They might not be the right answers, but they commend themselves to me, at this point.

1. The flood story is told from Noah's perspective. "All" was everything that he knew of.

This may be true. But it does not tell us that the flood was not global.

I am not an expert in this field (or any other). However, I have studied enough to recognize when "experts" import uniformitarian assumptions in their interpretation of the data. I believe there is both fossil evidence as well as cultural evidence (flood legends) on several continents to suggest a flood that affected many different regions far removed from the Trgris-Euphrates valley.

3. "Erets" in Genesis 6 is the word for "land". It is used for the "Land" of Israel, The Promised "Land", The United "States" of America. You plant your crops in it. You can conquer it.

This is true, and does provide one line of linguistic support for the possibility of a local flood—but it is not necessary to translate this way—and it does not address other phraseology, such as, "all the high mountains were covered."

4. Nephilim existed in the world both before and after the flood. They were not on the ark.

True, but the mention of the Nephilim in Genesis 6 (before the flood) places them in the very region (the erets) where the flood took place (Gen.6:4). There is no mention of antediluvian Nephilim anywhere except the region where the flood wiped everyone out, and it would seem that the presence of the Nephilim may have even contributed to the reasons for God's sending the flood. Whether the flood was global or local, I think, the implication of the passage is that the flood took out the Nephilim. If they were genetic giants (as I suppose), it is not impossible that new Nephilim (Numbers 13:33) may have arisen from Noah's descendants, just as the original Nephilim arose from Adam's descendants.

Some food was taken aboard the ark (Gen.6:21), and there may have been reserves left when the flood ended. In any case, before the animals exited the ark, we know there were some trees (e.g., an olive tree—Gen.8:11) growing, and, quite probably, grass and shrubbery as well.

This may be true, but I would need to see the results of such scrutiny before accepting this general statement.

7. The water returned to where it came from after the flood. If the whole world was covered, where did it go?

The flood appears to have involved volcanic and other seismic geological upheavals (Gen.7:11). In my opinion, the earth's crust was considerably altered during the flood, resulting in deep valleys in the ocean beds, which were not there before, as well as higher mountains above the new, post-flood sea level. I cannot prove this, but it is not unreasonable, and would explain why the same quantity of water that once covered a more-flat, ante-diluvian surface of the earth would, after the flood, be confined to the new deeper ocean beds.

It is possible that there was only one continent before the flood, and for some time following (Gen.1:9/ 10:25). This would eliminate the problems of animal migration that would later accrue after the continents broke up (a result of a less-stable earth's crust after the flood).

9. How do you explain the vast diversity in life today scattered across multiple continents if it only started with a limited number of animals 5000 years ago?

Reproduction and genetic diversification.

10. If the whole planet was covered over the top of the highest mountains, how did it all evaporate in 150 days or so?

As mentioned above (#7), not all the water would have to evaporate. Much of it could recede into the new ocean-bed valleys. However, this is, I think, a greater problem for the local flood theory. If the flood was local, and restricted to a limited geographical area, why would it take five months to drain off after the rains had stopped?

If it is interpreted correctly. It might not be, given the afore-mentioned prejudices of the scientists.

This is a good argument. However, if the record of Genesis 4 was passed down from Adam or Seth (a possibility, in view of Genesis 5:1), then the original document would have been written before the flood, and would have spoken of Lamech's descendants as people living at that time. Moses, it is thought, may have collected various documents more ancient than his own time, and compiled them into the book we call Genesis.

There are reasons that seem strong to me for believing in a global flood.

First, the need for an ark seems to suggest that there was not going to be any dry ground anywhere to which Noah's family (and the animals) could have more-easily fled.

Second, the fact that "all the high mountains were covered" eliminates the possibility of containment of the flood to a local region.

Third, the length of time that it took for the flood to recede after the rains had stopped suggests that there was no unaffected area into which the waters could drain off.

Fourth, it seems unlikely that Adam's descendants could have spread to the other side of the globe in the ten generations between creation and the flood, and we are specifically told that all the nations of the earth descended from Noah (Gen.10:32).

Also, the New Testament seems to presuppose that the flood was global and that it wiped out all human life, apart from the eight aboard the ark (1 Pet.3:20, and especially 2 Pet.3:6—where the word "world" is used, rather than "earth" or "land").
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Fri May 12, 2006 3:24 am

Gen 9:11 I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth."

So if "earth" means a localized area then God promised never to send a local flood? Interesting, since we still have local floods. Ever hear of Tsunami's?
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri May 12, 2006 8:29 am

Gen 9:11 I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth."

So if "earth" means a localized area then God promised never to send a local flood? Interesting, since we still have local floods. Ever hear of Tsunami's?

Great point Sean :idea:
Reason:

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 pm

Steve wrote:1. The flood story is told from Noah's perspective. "All" was everything that he knew of.

This may be true. But it does not tell us that the flood was not global.
Correct. Had it been global, he would have worded it the same.

I believe there is both fossil evidence as well as cultural evidence (flood legends) on several continents to suggest a flood that affected many different regions far removed from the Trgris-Euphrates valley.
I think the claim is that while there are effects of a flood to be found all over, there is no evidence that they all come from the same event. This claim is assisted by some of the things that flood-geologists offer as proof for their position that, in some cases, totally contridict their own position.

This is true, and does provide one line of linguistic support for the possibility of a local flood—but it is not necessary to translate this way—and it does not address other phraseology, such as, "all the high mountains were covered."
Correct. If it was global, Moses/Noah could have used the same word.

Whether the flood was global or local, I think, the implication of the passage is that the flood took out the Nephilim. If they were genetic giants (as I suppose), it is not impossible that new Nephilim (Numbers 13:33) may have arisen from Noah's descendants, just as the original Nephilim arose from Adam's descendants.
Again, you are correct. It is easy to point out the Numbers passage as a proof text and totally ignore Gen. 6 where it says "and afterwards".

Some food was taken aboard the ark (Gen.6:21), and there may have been reserves left when the flood ended. In any case, before the animals exited the ark, we know there were some trees (e.g., an olive tree—Gen.8:11) growing, and, quite probably, grass and shrubbery as well.
It is the very existance of these outside food sources that many point to as evidence for a local flood or, at the very least, a global flood that was not everything that flood-geologists need it to be.

This may be true, but I would need to see the results of such scrutiny before accepting this general statement.
I think there is a lot of evidence on both sides that need more scrutiny. As Proverbs says, the first to make his case seems right until another comes to examine him. Most evidences for both Genesis and Revelation are offered by "experts" and given from the pulpit to the choir. It is accepted without question. Call me a rebel, but I flunked choir a long time ago. :D

The flood appears to have involved volcanic and other seismic geological upheavals (Gen.7:11). In my opinion, the earth's crust was considerably altered during the flood, resulting in deep valleys in the ocean beds, which were not there before, as well as higher mountains above the new, post-flood sea level. I cannot prove this, but it is not unreasonable, and would explain why the same quantity of water that once covered a more-flat, ante-diluvian surface of the earth would, after the flood, be confined to the new deeper ocean beds.
I've heard Hugh Ross really pound this point home. Reminds me of the cartoon of the note beside a preacher's sermon outline. "Weak point. Pound pulpit". LOL Who is to say that the earth has as much land mass now as it did then?

It is possible that there was only one continent before the flood, and for some time following (Gen.1:9/ 10:25). This would eliminate the problems of animal migration that would later accrue after the continents broke up (a result of a less-stable earth's crust after the flood).
Correct.

The point is that it is hard to hold to rapid genetic diversification on one hand and pound evolution with the other.

As mentioned above (#7), not all the water would have to evaporate. Much of it could recede into the new ocean-bed valleys.
And much more of the land could be covered today than at the time of noah.

If it is interpreted correctly. It might not be, given the afore-mentioned prejudices of the scientists.
This is another example where an "expert" can claim something to the lay folk that they will probably never go research on their own.

This is a good argument. However, if the record of Genesis 4 was passed down from Adam or Seth (a possibility, in view of Genesis 5:1), then the original document would have been written before the flood, and would have spoken of Lamech's descendants as people living at that time.
Correct. But it sounds real good! :) Like I said, I can take either position on this. I think there are strengths and weaknesses to both positions. I will have to admit though that the weaknesses that I see in the global flood interpretation are mostly found in geological claims of the flood-geology model. If you have a copy of the original "Genesis Flood" by Whitcomb and Morris, check out the history that they give on flood interpretations prior to that time. It was not settled dogma.
There are reasons that seem strong to me for believing in a global flood.
Just to show that the local-flood advocates have an answer, I'll respond to them. Some of these have multiple responses, but I'll stich with the first one that comes to mind.
First, the need for an ark seems to suggest that there was not going to be any dry ground anywhere to which Noah's family (and the animals) could have more-easily fled.
Local-flood advocates would argue that civilization was still very localized and there would have been no other towns to flee to. They take "formless and void" as meaning uninhabited wilderness...like what the Israelites wandered around in for forty years. Driving two of every kind of animal into that would have surely led to a bunch of them dying. Then again, according to what most people believe, God turned half the animals into carnivorous meat-eaters as soon as they got off the ark. If there was already a lot of vegetation around, why would He need to do that?
Second, the fact that "all the high mountains were covered" eliminates the possibility of containment of the flood to a local region.
Local-flood advocates would argue that "all" could just be from Noah's viewpoint, that "all" doesn't always mean every single one, and that "high mountains" can also be translated differently. In other words, had the passage been translated by someone with a local flood worldview, it would have ended up with a totally different English understanding of the event and still been a valid translation.
Third, the length of time that it took for the flood to recede after the rains had stopped suggests that there was no unaffected area into which the waters could drain off.
Many think of the ark coming to rest on the top of a mountain. The text does not say that. As the water receded, the ark would have followed it. The ark could have ended up in a valley in the Arrarat mountain range. It would have taken more time for the water to drain from a valley.
Fourth, it seems unlikely that Adam's descendants could have spread to the other side of the globe in the ten generations between creation and the flood, and we are specifically told that all the nations of the earth descended from Noah (Gen.10:32).
Correct. But if men didn't spread far, why flood the entire globe if a local flood could have wiped out all of mankind and any animals that they had contact with?
Also, the New Testament seems to presuppose that the flood was global and that it wiped out all human life, apart from the eight aboard the ark (1 Pet.3:20, and especially 2 Pet.3:6—where the word "world" is used, rather than "earth" or "land").
The passage mentions "the world that then was". The "world" being referenced here is left to the interpretation of the reader. "World" can reference the entire universe, or it can reference just the inhabitants, as in "God so loved the world". The "World" was made by Him, and the "World" knew Him not. Does this verse refer to just men, or does it take two different meanings in the same verse? Did "the world" perish, or just the inhabitants? If it was the planet that perished, it would seem to support the global flood position if you excluded the plants that somehow seemed to survive. One side tends to take a more constrained interpretation of "world" and "perish" as referring only to man. The other side tends to take a more global interpretation. Where you start with your worldview basically determines where you end up with your interpretation.
D.
Reason:

_Glenn

Genetic diversification?

Post by _Glenn » Sun May 21, 2006 9:48 pm

DJ wrote:

Steve Wrote:

DJ Wrote:
The point is that it is hard to hold to rapid genetic diversification on one hand and pound evolution with the other.
Steve,
I think you meant genetic consolidation (or unification) leading to speciation, not genetic diversification.

Genetic consolidation is equal to natural selection or "micro-evolution." This is the loss of genetic diversity through inbreeding and is the OPPOSITE of macro-evolution, which is the increase of genetic diversity through the magic of mutations.

DJ,
The vast diversity in life today scattered across multiple continents can be better explained by starting with a small but genetically diverse population. That population inbred and moved creating populations which had less genetic variety than thier ancestors. 5000 years is plenty of time to inbreed. It took the British royal family a lot less time than that.

All Steve needs to do is change one word in his response, and he will once again have two hands free to pound!

Glenn
Reason:

_djeaton

Re: Genetic diversification?

Post by _djeaton » Sun May 21, 2006 11:37 pm

Glenn wrote:All Steve needs to do is change one word in his response, and he will once again have two hands free to pound!
Can we take a poll as to who he can/should pound? LOL
D.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:54 pm

steve's last point supporting a global flood was that all mankind was wiped out.

are we to take it that at the time of the flood, mankind had spread from eden to the other side of the earth? if not, a local flood (meaning something larger than new orleans but smaller than a continent) would have done this job quite nicely.

one of the problems is that it is hard to imagine what the pre-flood earth looked like. if there was only one large land mass (pangea, i think they call it), and the rest was water, a flood need only cover the large land mass, not the parts already covered in water. if it looked something like today, with several large land masses separated by bodies of water, OR if there were no seas, only land, then a global flood to wipe out mankind would only be necessary if mankind was spread out all over.

BTW, i am not emotionally attached to either view. i think the point of the flood is clear.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

Return to “The Pentateuch”