Genesis -- Young vs. Old Earth

_darin-houston

Genesis -- Young vs. Old Earth

Post by _darin-houston » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:06 pm

I continue to be amazed at how Steve consistently applies hermaneutic to his biblical interpretation without undue positional interest -- dispassionate or detached aren't the right words. Anyway, there is one area in which Steve seems to be reluctant to follow alternative translations when there is not unanimity in agreement. I agree with Steve that the gap theory is without serious support, but the dispute over "yom" and the "day-age" theory seems to me to be right along with Steve's use of similar words/phrases elsewhere in the bible -- even when the concept of "day" is discussed in other contexts. CRI's position paper below says it well....
<i>From the standpoint of presenting an effective apologetic (defense) for the Christian faith, this point must be considered.  Why put heavy emphasis on a doctrine that can stand in the way of some people's arriving at Christian faith when it is not even certain that the biblical data supports the obstacle in question?</i>
This is precisely the point and is consistent with Steve's general approach to Scripture, which is why I'm surprised to see him seemingly adhere to a position like the young earth position in the face of what I at least see is overwhelming support in God's general revelation as to the age of the earth.

I would appreciate some serious dialogue here over the young vs. old earth discussion without delving into scientific debate. Though I am most willing to ignore seeming scientific evidence to the contrary of clear scriptural teaching, where (as here) there is a reasonable debate over the interpretation, I favor an interpretation that is consistent with observed facts. While I agree with Steve that there are incredibly overwhelming reasons not to believe in the inconsistent and illogical "science" of secular evolutionists, there are serious scientists who believe in a Scriptural old earth (especially Hugh Ross at http://www.reasons.org). I know science is not Steve's forte, but logic and skeptical scholastic review does appear to be. I would very much appreciate the digesting and prayerful critique of Ross's position and that he apply his considerable gifts to this area as he has with so much of the rest of Scripture. I am not ashamed of the Gospel, but the Hovinds and others of young earth ilk are more than an embarrasment to me as a Christian scientist. The tactics and logic they use and the bitter and angry attitudes they show towards well-intended brothers is a difficult witness to observe. Whether or not Steve pipes in here, I trust the hears and minds of those in this forum could well help gain some collective insight into this quite relevant public debate.

My only real criticism of CRI's paper below is that to argue that "yom" is a "literal" or "finite" day doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be a 24-hour day as we know it.  We can agree that use of an ordinal with yom is consistent with a "definite" period of time without agreeing that it necessarily follows that it MUST be, therefore, a 24-hour period.

Here's another point I never hear discussed -- so, night and day may define a day -- as Steve indicates, night and day were created on first day, but rest of heavens (stars, etc) weren't.  The sun is a star, and our "day" is defined by the passage of the sun.  If the earth wasn't rotating in orbit, then the "day" is not likely the same type of "day" that we experience, so why the reliance on 24 hours?!  Our concept of time can't exist until the sun does.  Keep in mind that Night and Day are not the same thing as light and dark as we understand it.  Remember, Night and Day (light and dark) were created on the first "day," but the "great lights in the firmament" that divided Day from Night were created on the fourth day.  

Here's a few links to get a dialogue going. CRI's paper is also excellent.

24-hour day
http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/genesis1.html
http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/appearance.html
http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/longdays.html
http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth ... fense.html

Contradiction between Genesis 1 and Genesis 2?
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/genesis2.html

CHRISTIAN RESEARCH INSTITUTE
P.O. Box 7000, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
Web: www.equip.org Tel: 949.858.6100 Fax: 949.858.6111
Thu Aug 25 2005 00:43:32 GMT-0500
STATEMENT DA060
AGE OF CREATION

While all Christians believe that the universe was created by God (Genesis1:1), opinions vary widely concerning when this creation took place.  In the seventeenth century Catholic Archbishop James Ussher presented his biblical chronology, which drew upon such genealogies as those listed in Genesis five and eleven, to date the creation at 4004 B. C.  Bishop Ussher's chronology was widely accepted by the Christian world for centuries, but today even most of those evangelical scholars who advocate a "young earth" position agree that the biblical genealogies are meant to show line of descent, not strict chronology, and thus may have large gaps in them (this position is explained in-depth in J. Oliver Buswell's A Systematic Theology of the Christian Religion, and Francis Schaeffer's No Final Conflict).

The question of whether the earth is 4.5 billion years old (as modern geology affirms) or roughly 10,000 years old (as some evangelical scientists and theologians are now maintaining) hinges largely on whether the "days" of Genesis chapter one are to be taken as indicating literal 24-hour days or as poetic references to indefinite periods of time.  An analysis of the biblical material reveals that the answer to this is not eminently clear, and that some justification can be found for both positions.

Included among the points in favor of the "day-age theory" are the following:
  • 1. In Genesis 2:4, immediately following the account of creation in seven days, we find:  "This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made earth and heaven."  (Emphasis mine)  Here the same Hebrew word, "yom," is apparently being used in a poetic manner, to indicate the period of time in which God performed His creative work.  Since the same author in the same work writing of the same subject uses the word for day in a non-literal sense, a basis is therefore established for interpreting the word in a non-literal sense in chapter one.

2. "Day" is a relative term.  A day on earth is a different span of time than a day on any other planet in our solar system.  It must be remembered that that which determines our earth days, the sun, was not even functioning until the fourth day of the biblical account (Genesis 1:14-19).  Furthermore, we are told in II Peter 3:8 that "...with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."  It seems altogether conceivable that to God these periods were experienced in a manner analogous to how we in our situation experience 24-hour days.

3. With the above biblical data in mind, we cannot easily dismiss the fact that an overwhelming majority of authorities in the fields of geology, paleontology, biology, etc., are convinced that there is abundant evidence to substantiate a very old earth.  Additionally, most of the strongest arguments against the creationist viewpoint currently being made by contemporary science are eliminated when we let go of our insistence upon a 6,000-10,000 year old earth.  From the standpoint of presenting an effective apologetic (defense) for the Christian faith, this point must be considered.  Why put heavy emphasis on a doctrine that can stand in the way of some people's arriving at Christian faith when it is not even certain that the biblical data supports the obstacle in question?
On the other hand, there are some definite points in favor of the young earth view, which also need to be considered.  Those include:
  • 1. The word, "yom" (day), is never used in Scripture with limiting numbers (i.e., "first day) except in a literal sense.

2. References to "evening" and "morning" (such as are used in connection to the successive creation days in Genesis one) are used more than 100 times in the Old Testament, always with a literal meaning.

3. The fourth commandment affirms:  "Six days you shall labor and do all your work,...For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day:  therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy" (Exodus 20:9,11).  The analogy here between six days of creation and six days of human labor conveys to many people the impression that corresponding periods of time are being alluded to.
Last edited by _mikenatt on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Micah

Post by _Micah » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:13 am

Darin - I can try to take a stab at your questions even though I am not an eloquent speaker as yourself. I myself believe in the young earth creation ideas. Don't know if I will be able to answer all your questions, but hopefully others will pipe in as well.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but it seems you are wanting to know why someone could be so hung up on keeping to a literal 24 hour day even in the face of overwhelming scientific data. Now I can't speak for everyone, but only myself. The reason why it is important to believe in a literal 24 hour period is because God clearly spells it out that way in his Word. Now we can all agree that some words have more than one meaning depending on the context it used in.

For example: Back in my day we would spend the whole day contemplating the day I would become a father.

Now when you read that sentence you understand what each meaning of the word day is used because of the context it is used in. If we didn't come to an agreement on that then we would never be able to communicate. Now if God clearly teaches that his creation only took a week (we know this because he wrote it with his own finger...twice) than why should we believe otherwise. The only reason to believe otherwise is because man came along with their own a priori and interpreted the world around them to be old. So, the question you really have to ask yourself are you going to believe what the words of fallible men say or what God says?

Now if we start to interpret scripture based on what man's science comes up with than that means scripture will always be changing and truth will never be a constant. This to me is why it is very important to let scripture define the world around us instead of letting myself or others define it for me. Because the moment I say that if God really meant long days, when it clearly is telling me one literal 24 hour day, than I can start questioning the rest of the Bible. Did Jesus really rise from the dead? Is Jesus really God?

Basically, this all comes down to faith. You can either place your faith in men who place their own preconceptions about what the facts say or you can place your faith in God and trust that what he is telling you is the truth allowing you to interpret scientific facts through God's eyes.

Now for the Sun issue...The light comes on Day 1 comes from God himself. For example: (Revelation 21:23 - 25) - 23 And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. 25 In the daytime (for there will be no night there) its gates will never be closed;

As shown in that passage light can come from another source other than the sun and can be used to determine time. A better explanation has already been given in this forum: http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=111

Hopefully, this is what you were looking for, as far as dialogue. Sorry, if it wasn't. Take care.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Darin, may I suggest that you consider the scientific writings of

The Creation Research Society

Click on this URL:

http://www.creationresearch.org

Scientists in this organization believe in a "young earth" and have not yet been presented with any compelling evidence to the contrary.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:24 pm

I'm somewhat familiar with these guys -- here's but one critique of but one of their theories -- the Starlight and Time hypothesis.

http://www.reasons.org/resources/apolog ... ling.shtml
Snippet...The errors and defects in Humphreys' ideas are not moral errors, but scientific ones, and our pointing out of Humphreys' errors in these scientific areas does not imply criticism of his moral integrity. The one moral criticism which we would make of Dr. Humphreys' advocacy of his model, is his failure to heed the counsel of skilled Christian physicists in this matter. This is not a small criticism, for Humphreys' overconfidence in this matter has led to the widespread dissemination of a false theory. The inevitable collapse of this theory may damage the faith of many Christians who have leaned on it to reinforce their faith. The responsibility for such damage will rest with Dr. Humphreys and those of his associates who have promoted his theory, disregarding the expert counsel which God has made available to them. It is also possible that the widespread distribution and acceptance of his theory will have negative consequences for the credibility of Christian testimony to unbelievers.
(sorry for the battle of links)
Last edited by _mikenatt on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:26 pm

Thanks for the response -- yes, this is what I mean by dialogue.
Now if God clearly teaches that his creation only took a week (we know this because he wrote it with his own finger...twice) than why should we believe otherwise. The only reason to believe otherwise is because man came along with their own a priori and interpreted the world around them to be old. So, the question you really have to ask yourself are you going to believe what the words of fallible men say or what God says?
I'm not sure I understand that -- where did God do this with His finger ? Sure, he referred back to the six days of creation, but you're the one bringing in this new word "week." Are you "assuming" that there must be perfect symmetry between the "days" of creation and the days culminating the Sabbath? None of the other "types" in the bible are exact collaries to their anti-type, are they? Besides, this principle of six and 1 then rest is not only memorialized in the Sabbath but also in the jubilee and other "non-week" periods of time. There's something about the 7th time period as being a "perfect" time of rest -- we can get that through Scripture, but it's a fallacy to suggest that interpreting 'yom' as 24 hours is contrary to what God says. If there was Scripture that said -- "Nature around man may bear the appearance of eons or many ages, but you shall know and keep the truth that creation was truly in one week," then I would certainly assume that we just haven't learned enough in science to understand what appears to be old, but the Scripture is CERTAINLY not that clear on the subject.
Now if we start to interpret scripture based on what man's science comes up with than that means scripture will always be changing and truth will never be a constant. This to me is why it is very important to let scripture define the world around us instead of letting myself or others define it for me. Because the moment I say that if God really meant long days, when it clearly is telling me one literal 24 hour day, than I can start questioning the rest of the Bible. Did Jesus really rise from the dead? Is Jesus really God?
Yes, we must even question those very central issues -- if we don't question them and come to a scriptural understanding with an honest hermeneutic and well-informed theology that includes observation of the general revelation, then we will not only have a weak witness, but will have a weak faith that is based on either tabloid or folk theology alone. If we don't at least incorporate what we know historically about the times and the context of the writings and our observations of God's general revelation, then we're at the mercy of an arbitrary or at least capricious theology, which is dangerous. Even so, aren't you basing your own interpretation of 'yom' to at least some degree on what you observe in science about the sun and the constellations and the revolution of the earth?
Basically, this all comes down to faith. You can either place your faith in men who place their own preconceptions about what the facts say or you can place your faith in God and trust that what he is telling you is the truth allowing you to interpret scientific facts through God's eyes.
Again, an untested faith is not a well-informed faith. I trust in God, but He has chosen to leave this very point without clarity, and so I must struggle honestly to work it out. I'm happy to interpret scientific facts through God's eyes, but that's not what's being proposed -- what's being proposed is to interpret scientific facts through the lens of an accepted dogma about what God said. His words are perfect, but our understanding of them is not.
Now for the Sun issue...The light comes on Day 1 comes from God himself. For example: (Revelation 21:23 - 25) - 23 And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. 25 In the daytime (for there will be no night there) its gates will never be closed;

As shown in that passage light can come from another source other than the sun and can be used to determine time. A better explanation has already been given in this forum: http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=111
I agree that the light can come from some other source, but if from God, then (if I'm understanding you right) you're not relying on the periodic revolution of the earth around the sun as your definition for day anymore, are you? Are you just "assuming" that God's light shown for twelve hours?

Another question -- let's just assume for the moment that the light particles were created in situ and the fossil record (though certainly insufficient to me to show an evolutionary creation of man) was placed in terra firma on creation to give an appearance of age (which among other things I'm virtually convinced), isn't this inconsistent with what we do know without question about the nature of God -- that being that He is honest and doesn't deceive?
Reason:

_Micah

Post by _Micah » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:10 pm

I'm not sure I understand that -- where did God do this with His finger ? Sure, he referred back to the six days of creation, but you're the one bringing in this new word "week." Are you "assuming" that there must be perfect symmetry between the "days" of creation and the days culminating the Sabbath? None of the other "types" in the bible are exact collaries to their anti-type, are they? Besides, this principle of six and 1 then rest is not only memorialized in the Sabbath but also in the jubilee and other "non-week" periods of time. There's something about the 7th time period as being a "perfect" time of rest -- we can get that through Scripture, but it's a fallacy to suggest that interpreting 'yom' as 24 hours is contrary to what God says. If there was Scripture that said -- "Nature around man may bear the appearance of eons or many ages, but you shall know and keep the truth that creation was truly in one week," then I would certainly assume that we just haven't learned enough in science to understand what appears to be old, but the Scripture is CERTAINLY not that clear on the subject.
Here are the scriptures pertaining to the finger of God:

Exodus 31:18 - When He had finished speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God.

Exodus 34:1 - Now the LORD said to Moses, "Cut out for yourself two stone tablets like the former ones, and I will write on the tablets the words that were on the former tablets which you shattered."

Just because the word week isn't used doesn't mean one can't deduce that God was referring to an actual work week. The word trinity is never used in the Bible, but God's word definitely implies it. Also, it's not like he said work 6 days...rest on the 7th and then when the 8th and 9th day comes up you can have some fun. He was making a one to one comparison between the creation week and what is to be a work week:

Exodus 20: 9-11 - 9 "Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11"For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

I find it strange that one would want to imply the 7th day of rest was anything more than an ordinary day. Even the Israelites plainly understood what was being said to them. Here is even a parallel verse:

Exodus 34:21 - 21"You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.

Don't you think it would be strange to think that the 7th day meant something longer than an ordinary day? I mean when does the 7th day actually end then?
Yes, we must even question those very central issues -- if we don't question them and come to a scriptural understanding with an honest hermeneutic and well-informed theology that includes observation of the general revelation, then we will not only have a weak witness, but will have a weak faith that is based on either tabloid or folk theology alone. If we don't at least incorporate what we know historically about the times and the context of the writings and our observations of God's general revelation, then we're at the mercy of an arbitrary or at least capricious theology, which is dangerous. Even so, aren't you basing your own interpretation of 'yom' to at least some degree on what you observe in science about the sun and the constellations and the revolution of the earth?
I am not saying that we go into believing scripture with a blind faith, but that when interpreting the events around us we can use scripture to help us with the interpretation. For example: The Bible tells us there was a world wide flood. If that is the case than there should be scientific evidence to support that claim. Or another example: If the Bible tells us there is a city that exists in a certain location than we should be able to find that city through archeaological methods.

The problem that I am stating is that when one wants to take the view of an old earth they are not getting that idea from the Bible. The Bible never implies the earth was old at all. That idea came from Darwinian evolution because the only way to explain evolution is to have long periods of time. In my personal opinion I think one should be careful believing what a person says as truth just because he wears a white lab coat.

I mean let's take for example the creation week. If we look at it through man's science they would say there is no way that could happen. You can't have plants before the sun and the insects. Even the birds came before the land animals which according to modern theory it is the other way around.

Now of course I understand that man will never be able to test the creation week in order to find out whether it is true or not, but who are you going to believe? God who was there and told us how it was done or man who was not there and is limited by only the events around him?
I agree that the light can come from some other source, but if from God, then (if I'm understanding you right) you're not relying on the periodic revolution of the earth around the sun as your definition for day anymore, are you? Are you just "assuming" that God's light shown for twelve hours?
In order to have what is considered a day you need a rotating body (earth) and a fixed light source (God). Remember that this was only needed for 3 days until the Sun was created. God's light also was shown the whole time because he created the light and separated it from the darkness in order to create a morning and an evening. Therefore, it is possible for the light to be shown in normal daylight hours as we know it.
Another question -- let's just assume for the moment that the light particles were created in situ and the fossil record (though certainly insufficient to me to show an evolutionary creation of man) was placed in terra firma on creation to give an appearance of age (which among other things I'm virtually convinced), isn't this inconsistent with what we do know without question about the nature of God -- that being that He is honest and doesn't deceive?
What you say is true. If it could be proven that the earth was millions of years old than one would have to question the validity of God's claims. The issue, however, is that I would first question the motives and methods of the scientific source. Many times scientists have brought up claims that have contradicted the Bible and everytime that get proven to be a liar. So far the Bible has withstood the test of time from many critics and currently I have no reason to doubt its validity.

BTW...I just want you to know I appreciate the discussion here. It is always good to test my knowledge on spiritual matters. I also wanted to apologize ahead of time if my comments might come across as harsh because that is not my intent. I'm just not very good at conveying my thoughts onto paper (or text as this case maybe). Take care.
Reason:
Luke 16:17 - It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Hey everyone,
I am not aware of a really good understanding of Ex. 20:11 outside of the YEC understanding. The Lord really seems to directly compare it to a literal 7-days. It really does damage to the text in my opinion to see it otherwise. How are we to understand anything if terms can be this elastic within one sentence?

Also, the old earth scenario does not adequatly explain how death entered the world before sin. Millions of years of it for that matter. This is incredibly important, because it is clear from the scriptures that death came through Adam (Romans 5:12)
The tactics and logic they use and the bitter and angry attitudes they show towards well-intended brothers is a difficult witness to observe.
I haven't found this to be the case at Answers in Genisis. http://www.answersingenesis.org/
Sorry had to throw in a link :D

God bless,
Derek
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:26 pm

I am not aware of a really good understanding of Ex. 20:11 outside of the YEC understanding. The Lord really seems to directly compare it to a literal 7-days. It really does damage to the text in my opinion to see it otherwise. How are we to understand anything if terms can be this elastic within one sentence?
I think I have the same understanding of Ex. 20:11 that the YEC does, but just not that it matters how long the 7 days was. Alluding to creation to establish the Sabbath doesn't necessitate a strict literal interpretion of yom that requires 24 hours. I think it's pressing the criticism too far to suggest that this matter devolves into a throwing up of our hands as to any textual understanding. I don't see this issue as central to the faith or to salvation for sure, but it is central to intellectual honesty and worthy of pursuit.
Also, the old earth scenario does not adequatly explain how death entered the world before sin. Millions of years of it for that matter. This is incredibly important, because it is clear from the scriptures that death came through Adam (Romans 5:12)
There's an awful lot of debate over that one, too -- here's a couple of decent articles on it if you're truly interested in exploring this matter:

http://www.upper-register.com/other_stu ... _fall.html
http://www.reasons.org/resources/apolog ... shtml?main

but in general, there are issues of soulful animal death vs. other death, spiritual vs. physical death, death not being equated with evil, whether the capacity for man's death was brought on by the fall or merely actual death.

Edited excerpts from http://www.noble-minded.org/sarfati_review.html:

It is going beyond the text to read animal suffering and death into Romans 5:12-19 (and also 1 Corinthians 15:21-22 as often used). These passages are clearly referring to human death, not animal death. For example, when it says, “As in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive,” are we to believe that animals can be made alive in Christ? Surely not. So then, it is not very reasonable to say this verse teaches that it was the Fall of Adam that brought about their death.

I have heard YEC acknowledge the role of the Tree of Life as the apparent means by which Adam would have lived forever had he not sinned and been banished from the Garden. But surely the Tree of Life was not intended for animals! In other words, there is no Scriptural reason to assume that all animals in the original creation ate of the Tree of Life, so why should we assume that they did not experience death? It seems to me that this theology that says that God originally created animals with eternal life (in the physical sense) is foreign to Scripture, and ought to be avoided.

Also, if sin and evil pre-existed Adam, then why not death?
Quote:
The tactics and logic they use and the bitter and angry attitudes they show towards well-intended brothers is a difficult witness to observe.

I haven't found this to be the case at Answers in Genisis. http://www.answersingenesis.org/
Sorry had to throw in a link
Good one (wink) -- I don't think they do a very good job of applying consistent logic or test their theories very well. However, my respect for them, as an organization, is heightened by the fact that they have distanced themselves quite firmly from Hovind and a number of his wacky views that many YECs still adhere to. (see http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/ar ... nt_use.asp for an example).

If you're really interested in the views and approaches of AIG (specifically, Ken Ham and John Morris), though, consider this two part review:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/ ... 64/rev.htm
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/ ... 4/rev2.htm

The second part also has a piece on death before the fall (though not a very good one).
Reason:

_Micah

Post by _Micah » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:42 pm

Darin,

Just curious since you mentioned about animal death...How would you interpret this verse in Genesis 1: 29,30:

29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

Why doesn't God say, "That for all the creatures he gives them the other creatures to feed on"? In fact, he doesn't even give humans the animals to eat until after the flood.

Genesis 9: 1-3

1 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."
Reason:
Luke 16:17 - It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 pm

Exodus 31:18 - When He had finished speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God.
Exodus 34:1 - Now the LORD said to Moses, "Cut out for yourself two stone tablets like the former ones, and I will write on the tablets the words that were on the former tablets which you shattered."
I wasn't asking where it said he used his finger (though I think that's an anthropomorphism of God, as I doubt he has what we would call a finger). Your point, however, was that he used the finger to refer to a week, which it does nowhere.
Just because the word week isn't used doesn't mean one can't deduce that God was referring to an actual work week. The word trinity is never used in the Bible, but God's word definitely implies it. Also, it's not like he said work 6 days...rest on the 7th and then when the 8th and 9th day comes up you can have some fun. He was making a one to one comparison between the creation week and what is to be a work week:

Exodus 20: 9-11 - 9 "Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11"For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

I find it strange that one would want to imply the 7th day of rest was anything more than an ordinary day. Even the Israelites plainly understood what was being said to them. Here is even a parallel verse:

Exodus 34:21 - 21"You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.

Don't you think it would be strange to think that the 7th day meant something longer than an ordinary day? I mean when does the 7th day actually end then?
I don't have a problem finding the concept of a week as I do the trinity, but there's just not enough in my opinion to go that far -- I certainly don't see a logical or hermeneutical necessity to see a one-to-one comparison. You ask a good question as to the end of the 7th day -- some believe we're in the 7th day of creation as we speak.
The problem that I am stating is that when one wants to take the view of an old earth they are not getting that idea from the Bible. The Bible never implies the earth was old at all. That idea came from Darwinian evolution because the only way to explain evolution is to have long periods of time. In my personal opinion I think one should be careful believing what a person says as truth just because he wears a white lab coat.
You need to explore some of the OEC views more closely -- they follow a more biblical approach (at least Hugh Ross at reasons.org) in my opinion than YECs in my opinion, who adhere mostly to logical arguments or philosophical theology. Actually, I'm not sure the idea of an old earth began with Darwin (see below), but was an assumption at the time that they relied upon. Besides, even if they were the source of the notion, it doesn't disprove it. I certainly don't bear any greater degree of respect for a lab coat than a cloak. However, it doesn't negate the pertinence of their observations, and they aren't suspect just because they wear lab coats.

quote from Jack Collins
[Another] false claim is the idea that Christians changed their interpretation of the days in order to make peace with Darwinism. As a matter of fact, most of the interpretive options came into play before 1850 - and Darwin¹s Origins of Species came out in 1859. The big factor for many in the church was the new geology that began in the 1700s which seemed to most to prove that the earth was much older than a few thousand years. And if someone wants to make the counterclaim, 'You see, that just proves that geology is naturalistic, too,' he has to come to grips with the simple fact that most of the early geologists were devout Christians who were far from being naturalistic...

I mean let's take for example the creation week. If we look at it through man's science they would say there is no way that could happen. You can't have plants before the sun and the insects. Even the birds came before the land animals which according to modern theory it is the other way around.

Now of course I understand that man will never be able to test the creation week in order to find out whether it is true or not, but who are you going to believe? God who was there and told us how it was done or man who was not there and is limited by only the events around him?
Man's science is God's science. I'm not saying believe "modern theory" of science as taught in high school textbooks, but there are honest scientists who have answers for those questions provided you are free in your theology to accept a long day, which I have still no real reason not to. How long did Adam wait for Eve? Did he have time in 24 hours to name all the animals, to realize something was missing and need Eve, how could he say "finally" a help meet if it was only 24 hours? A long day answers not only what we observe in science, but also what we see in Scripture.
In order to have what is considered a day you need a rotating body (earth) and a fixed light source (God). Remember that this was only needed for 3 days until the Sun was created. God's light also was shown the whole time because he created the light and separated it from the darkness in order to create a morning and an evening. Therefore, it is possible for the light to be shown in normal daylight hours as we know it.
I still think that's reading something into it -- first, where's God "fixed" ? Is he bound to the physical? by Time? Andy why do we assume "light" when referenced to God isn't also some form of anthropomorphism? It's just a stretch to avoid something YECs are uncomfortable to consider in my opinion. Believe in an old earth does NOT necessitate ANY evolutionary theory. In fact, it is the YECs of the creationists that believe in a form of evolution (over a short time period to acommodate problems with the need for rapid speciation in their post-ark theories).

What you say is true. If it could be proven that the earth was millions of years old than one would have to question the validity of God's claims.
How does this folllow? Just because we should question the validity of our understanding of God's claims (note I never said God's claims -- if God said it, I believe it -- but, just because one's hermeneutic says something from Scripture, I have to still test it).
The issue, however, is that I would first question the motives and methods of the scientific source. Many times scientists have brought up claims that have contradicted the Bible and everytime that get proven to be a liar. So far the Bible has withstood the test of time from many critics and currently I have no reason to doubt its validity.
I agree with you, but it's a straw man argument and doesn't apply to YEC vs. OEC (one in which YECs always try to respond to OECs as if they were trying to disprove God or Creation) -- evolutionary and popular scientists are being even less honest intellectually and live more by faith than even the YECs in my opinion, but just because they use poor methods, doesn't mean all bible-believing, evangelical scientists follow that criticism.
BTW...I just want you to know I appreciate the discussion here. It is always good to test my knowledge on spiritual matters. I also wanted to apologize ahead of time if my comments might come across as harsh because that is not my intent. I'm just not very good at conveying my thoughts onto paper (or text as this case maybe). Take care.
Ditto, and I don't think you're being harsh - it's hard to have honest debate in areas like this in which people have had such emotional attachments to and had so many traditions of men guide their beliefs (not you in particular). It's also tough because it takes people to a place where they are unlikely to understand all the issues or have any confidence at the end of the day -- it's often more comfortable to keep on believing the simple view they've always held. I understand that, and it appeals to me, but it is a reason that many skeptics have a lack of trust in the motives and honesty and integrity of many Christians (especially intellectual honesty). If we can't acknowledge that there are degrees of certainty in various beliefs we have in the bible and that we are willing to yield on some of our strongholds but not on the essentials of the faith, then we will always be a stumbling block for the Holy Spirit to work in the lives of many in this post-modern world. (BTW, I find it ironic that todays' post-moderns are the most likely to hold to a stalwart view of science and evolution, which one would expect from the modernist).
Last edited by _mikenatt on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

Return to “The Pentateuch”