Genesis 4:6-7 (doing wrong contrasted with sin)

darinhouston

Genesis 4:6-7 (doing wrong contrasted with sin)

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:04 pm

Another interesting thing I never noticed -- it seems that doing wrong is contrasted here with sin (not as opposites, but perhaps as different categories)...

Then again, perhaps the point isn't that "doing wrong" isn't sin but that even though it is sin we don't have to be dominated by it - but that we subdue it by not persisting in doing wrong.

Thoughts?
Genesis 4:6Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why is your expression downcast? 7Is it not true that if you do what is right, you will be fine? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at the door. It desires to dominate you, but you must subdue it.”

Homer

Re: Genesis 4:6-7 (doing wrong contrasted with sin)

Post by Homer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 am

Darin,

I have long believed that there are degrees of sin; though some say all sin is the same. I need to get off to bed, I'll leave you with this from 1 Kings
8:46-47

New American Standard Bible 1995
46.“When they sin against You (for there is no man who does not sin) and You are angry with them and deliver them to an enemy, so that they take them away captive to the land of the enemy, far off or near; 47 if they take thought in the land where they have been taken captive, and repent and make supplication to You in the land of those who have taken them captive, saying, ‘We have sinned and have committed iniquity, we have acted wickedly’
;

I believe a word study will show that three categories of sin are mentioned here, from bad to worse.

And why would Jesus speak of "greater sin" if there isn't "lesser".

dwight92070

Re: Genesis 4:6-7 (doing wrong contrasted with sin)

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 am

Darin,
I agree with your second statement, that doing wrong is sin, and that we have the power of the Holy Spirit, in Christ, to resist the wrong, and choose the right.

Return to “The Pentateuch”