Crushing Satan?

_Erich

Crushing Satan?

Post by _Erich » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:34 pm

“And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.” (Genesis 3:5)

This verse seems to be the first prophecy of Christ and his overcoming of sin and Satan and I always took it to mean, that in a more literal sense, that Jesus is the one who will “bruise” Satan but then I read Romans 16:20:

“And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.” (Romans 16:20)

Here it seems that Paul says that God is using us to crush Satan. Of course this is done by what Christ has done for us and through us so that it is still in a sense Jesus who is “crushing” Satan but that he has chosen to reveal this truth by demonstrating this through those who are His.

I also realize too that the word “seed” in Genesis is singular and can be seen as pointing to one, being Christ. But the word “seed” in singular form seems to be used through out the Old Testament and in many places has to refer to more than one (Gen 13:16) even in Genesis 3:5 speaking of the serpents “seed”. Almost like how we use the word “family” which is singular but could represent many? So maybe considering what Genesis says and what Paul says it could be seen that it is us who represent Christ that are bringing this prophecy to past? Maybe I’m off or this is clear to everyone but me until now. Just thought I would throw it out there for comment or correction.

Erich <><
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:16 pm

Perhaps this shows how serious Paul was when he said we are the 'body' of Christ. Also, I think 1 John 3:8 may be the more direct fullfillment:

He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work.

We are the extension of the victory that Jesus won on the cross
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

Return to “The Pentateuch”