Tabernacle Question

Quilter2

Tabernacle Question

Post by Quilter2 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:02 am

Steve,
Been listening to the Exodus lectures from GCS. This is the first time I have actually understood the tabernacle layout, the priests garments etc. The way you arranged the information made it much more understandable.
I noticed that alot of the measurements are cubed. Curtains 7&1/2 x 7&1/2 ft. Some of the furniture and the Holy or Most Holy Place (I forget which, I was listening in the car to the mp3s). I plan to go back and re-listen making notes at home. It reminded me that the New Jerusalem coming down in Revelation is a cube too, isn't it? Do you think there is any connection?
Mostly a curiosity.
Paula

steve7150

Re: Tabernacle Question

Post by steve7150 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi,

I'm the wrong Steve but i think the cube is symbolic of perfection.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Paula,

The other Steve is, no doubt, correct.

As for the connection between the tabernacle and the vision of Revelation 21, I believe that the New Jerusalem is deliberately styled after the description of the holy of holies in the tabernacle. Both are (as you have observed) cube-shaped. Both are without the light of sun, moon or stars, but are illuminated by the glory of God alone. Both are the place of man's immediate access to, and fellowship with, God.

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 am

James Strong (of Strong's Concordance), in his book on the Tabernacle, claims that the standard model is incorrect, and that the tabernacle consisted of the boards, and that the curtains were in a triangular shape over it. It's not the easiest to picture, as he had an accompanying work with plate illustrations which I've been totally unable to track down, despite attempts. However, this would allow the smoke to leave the tabernacle, corresponding to the windows in the Temple, and would also (I think) allow for the idea out there that the sanctuary proper was brought in and housed in the Temple. But I admit that I haven't gotten around to doing much study on these questions.

Return to “The Pentateuch”