Q for Steve Gregg

blackheart

Q for Steve Gregg

Post by blackheart » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Deuteronomy 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD. (KJV)

At times I have heard Steve postulate that King David may have possibly been born of illegitimate means, and I see some of the logic to it, but how does that square with the above reference?

Thanks
Blackheart Magillicutty

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

steve

Re: Q for Steve Gregg

Post by steve » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:34 pm

The next verse makes the same statement about a Moabite, and David was only three generations removed from a Moabite ancestress (Ruth—Obed—Jesse—David). Of course, since the Moabite was a female ancestor, it may not have counted. Obed was probably counted as a Jew, even though his mother was Moabite.

My impression is that David (perhaps owing to his being a type of Christ?) was somewhat "above the law" in certain respects. When he committed murder and adultery, Nathan the prophet absolved him of the normal legal penalty of death (2 Sam.12:13).

Though, according to some of his psalms, he loved the law, meditated on it day and night, yet he had a clear revelation of the grace of God, and the negotiable nature of the ceremonial laws. For example, he had no scruples about violating the law of the showbread (1 Sam.21:4-6). When it came to the sacrificial system, David knew that God valued spiritual sacrifices (worship) about ritual ones (Psalm 51:16-17) and he saw before anyone else did that the Aaronic priesthood was inadequate, and would be replaced with an eternal and unrelated priesthood (Psalm 110:4). David was a strange example of a pious Old Testament individual, and he may have recognized the law of the bastard as the ceremonial thing that it was—and ignored it.

Return to “The Pentateuch”