Consulting or calling up the dead

RND

Re: Consulting or calling up the dead

Post by RND » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Michelle wrote:I agree. You have been very nice (I didn't say you weren't, just that you were illogical) and you attempted to make your point by using scripture, where I have been too lazy to look anything up.
To me, trying to make a point without using scripture is "illogical."
Yes, you did yesterday afternoon:
God, in the person of Jesus Christ, equates Himself as a friend to man, particularly His disciples. Friends are equals.
Equals as far as "friendships" go Michelle. Not equal in "being" God(s). There is a difference. I thought you'd be able to see that point. My bad. Friends are indeed equals.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:01 pm

RND wrote:
Michelle wrote:I agree. You have been very nice (I didn't say you weren't, just that you were illogical) and you attempted to make your point by using scripture, where I have been too lazy to look anything up.
To me, trying to make a point without using scripture is "illogical."
Yes, you did yesterday afternoon:
God, in the person of Jesus Christ, equates Himself as a friend to man, particularly His disciples. Friends are equals.
Equals as far as "friendships" go Michelle. Not equal in "being" God(s). There is a difference. I thought you'd be able to see that point. My bad. Friends are indeed equals.
OK, now we're just circling back again. Yours is the last word as far as my participation in this discussion goes.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

RND,

You wrote:
God spoke to Balaam through a donkey...a living donkey, not the dead. Caiaphas was inspired to speak by the Holy Spirit and he too was alive, not dead. God spoke directly to Laban in a dream, which is exactly how God speaks to people. Laban also was alive and not dead. The experience that Laban was referring to was seeing the blessing of the Lord on Jacob.
I wasn't referring to God speaking to Balaam through a donkey (I would have mentioned that, if I had wished to). I was talking about God giving prophetic messages through Balaam, the soothseer.

Laban learned what he did through "divination" (check a better translation).

How is it more abominable for God to speak to Saul through dead Samuel than for Him to speak to Jesus through dead Moses and Elijah on the Mount of Transfiguration?

You say that no one got killed in Revelation 19? Perhaps you can explain this verse:

"And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse. And all the birds were filled with their flesh." (verse 21)

The verse about Herod's death didn't impress you because it was the angel of the Lord who smote him?

I think Michelle has the right idea. You are not arguing, you are making desperate remarks that misrepresent scripture, misunderstand other people's arguments, and which run only in circles. I know that you are incapable of admitting that you were wrong, so I will not be holding out for that. Maybe you can continue having conversations with yourself. Since you seem capable of contradicting yourself, you can play both sides of the dialogue in our absence,

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Steve7150 you wrote:I tell you the truth if anyone keeps my word , he will never see death." John 8.51 The jews asked if he was greater then Abraham who died and Jesus did'nt modify his statement by saying "well i really meant they will die but their next conscience moment will be the resurrection."
He simply said "he will never see death."
Steve, the other issues you raised, I have already discussed, and believe to have shown that they do not actually say that people’s spirits or “souls” go directly to heaven at death. But this one, I have not addressed until now.

Similar words of Jesus are recorded in John 11:25,26

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die." RSV

If Jesus really meant “shall never die”, He is contradicting Himself ---- unless He is using the word “die” in two different senses in the same sentence. In “though he die” He is obviously speaking of physical death. Jesus indicates that a person who believes in Him may die a physical death. Does He suddenly, in the same sentence, use the words “never die” to mean that a believer’s spirit or “soul” shall never be destroyed? It doesn’t seem likely.

In John 8:51, in the passage to which you referred, Jesus literal words as recorded in Greek were:

θανατος οὐ μη θεωρησῃ εἰς τον αἰωνα
death no way he shall see into the age

Although translating the double negative “οὐ μη” as “never” seems to make sense sometimes, that is not its meaning. It’s more like today’s phrase “no way”.

Examples in the book of Matthew in which “never” does not seem to work are 5:18, 10:23, 10:42, 15:5, 24:21, 25:9.
There are many others.

The phrase “εἰς τον αἰωνα” seems to have been a Greek idiom for “permanently”.

For example, in John 8:35:

The slave does not remain in the house permanently; the son remains permanently.

This, in spite of the fact that most translations of this verse render “εἰς τον αἰωνα” as “forever” . Of course, the slave does not remain in the house forever. Neither does the son. On the other hand, an arrangement which is permanent is stable for a longer period of time than one which is temporary, but a permanent arrangement certainly need not continue forever. Your permanent driver’s license will serve you better than a temporary license, but it won’t serve you forever. Indeed, it won’t necessarily serve you even for a life time, not if you attain a seriously bad driving record, or if you become so old as to be a danger on the road.

So I would render “θανατος οὐ μη θεωρησῃ εἰς τον αἰωνα” as “No way will he experience death permanently”. (The word "see" even in English is often used in the sense of experience").That is “No way will he remain in a state of death permanently” In other words, he who believes in (entrusts himself to) Christ will be raised to life.

Four times in John chapter 6, the apostle John records that Jesus said He would raise to life in the last day those who are His.

John 6:39… and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day.
John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."
John 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54… he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

But as you pointed out, if my understanding of the Greek words is correct, it must be consistent with the Jews’ response. You indicated that they pointed out to Jesus that Abraham and the prophets died. So “Who do you claim to be?” or as we would say to day, “Who do you think you are?”

At first glance, it appears that the Jews understood Jesus’ statement as most translations have it. But DID they? If Jesus had meant, as I believe He did, that whoever believes in Him will not remain dead, but will be resurrected, the Jews may still have had that response. If they were Sadducees, they would have believed that Abraham and the prophets were dead and gone forever. The Sadducees did not believe in a resurrection. If the Jews in question were Pharisees, they may have believed in reincarnation as many of them appeared to have done. Recall the ones who asked Jesus, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind?” When could a person sin in order to be born blind, if not in a previous reincarnation? I think people who believed in reincarnation would have a problem with the claim that whoever believes in Christ would not remain dead, but would live again after Jesus raised him to life again at some point in the future.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:15 pm

I was reading in another post by RND how the belief in the immortality of the soul was from Satan and a great end time deception. Just for the record i think almost everyone understands immortality is God's alone and he grants immortality to believers at the resurrection therefore if our immaterial spirit goes to be with the Lord at death it still does not attain the status of immortality at that point anymore then angels are immortal. Simply in general it seems to me if you love someone would'nt you want to be with them as soon as possible? Several people have said that it does'nt matter to them whether they sleep in the grave or be with the Lord immediately at death. I don't mean this in a judgmental way but if you love Jesus, why would'nt it matter? God and Jesus love us, then would'nt they want us with them as soon as our journey on earth is finished. God has the power since angels already are with him as immaterial spirit beings yet quite powerful, therefore why would'nt he do this for his children?

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 pm

steve7150 wrote:...Several people have said that it does'nt matter to them whether they sleep in the grave or be with the Lord immediately at death. I don't mean this in a judgmental way but if you love Jesus, why would'nt it matter? God and Jesus love us, then would'nt they want us with them as soon as our journey on earth is finished. God has the power since angels already are with him as immaterial spirit beings yet quite powerful, therefore why would'nt he do this for his children?
The reason I said it wouldn't matter to me is only because I wouldn't be aware of the difference. From my perspective, my perception would be of having an actual encounter with the Lord immediately, either as a soul in heaven, or as a resurrected being meeting Him in the air.

If I know I am meeting someone I love first thing tomorrow morning, (with great anticipation), my thoughts may be "the sooner I get to sleep, the sooner I can see them", because while I am asleep the time might as well not be counted, since I will not be aware of its' duration or passage.
It's not that I wouldn't want to go to heaven straight away - if the choice was up to me, that's the one I would pick! Perhaps that's why I'm currently leaning toward the understanding of souls going to heaven. (with some issues I feel like a yo-yo at times) :roll:

I've never thought of the issue looking at it from God's perspective, that's an interesting question.
Perhaps from God's perspective (if soul sleep was the reality), it may be a matter of treating everyone equitably - no one is going to sneak in a few thousand years of paradise before anyone else, and no one is going to experience the sentence of damnation before the final judgement?
Suzana

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm

I've never thought of the issue looking at it from God's perspective, that's an interesting question.
Perhaps from God's perspective (if soul sleep was the reality), it may be a matter of treating everyone equitably - no one is going to sneak in a few thousand years of paradise before anyone else, and no one is going to experience the sentence of damnation before the final judgement?

In one of Jesus's parables the laborers who came into work toward the end of the day were paid the same as those who worked all day and it was fair because God kept his word to the earlier workers and the rest was not their affair.
I hope and believe it is this way at our death that the equity in the situation is simply God would want us with him as soon as possible , even if we come in toward the end of the day.
With regards to judgment, i'm only referring to believers being with the Lord at death.

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:51 am

I'm very late to this party, but the topic of the interim disembodied state in heaven raises a question I have often thought about, and I'm curious what the answer is. I hold to the ordinary view that the disembodied soul enters heaven before the general resurrection, but I'm trying to figure out how the following thought experiment would work under that model.

It's a purely factual question, not exegetical. Suppose, for the sake of argument that thousands of years ago, a cave man had an unfortunate accident and managed to get frozen in a block of ice. Imagine that twenty-first century scientists dig the frozen guy out and manage to thaw and resuscitate him. I have no idea whether this is technologically plausible any time in the near future (and obviously I have no factual basis to suppose that there exists such a frozen cave man) but it is presumably at least a conceptual possibility that scientific progress will allow such a scenario to unfold. But where would the cave man have been during the interim thousands of years between his freezing and his revival? It seems unlikely that he would be brought to heaven only to be returned to the earth when the scientists thaw him. Right? Would he be the only person not to progress immediately to the afterlife between his earthly life and the general resurrection? What if such a man were frozen but never discovered and revived? Would he then go to heaven after his freezing? If that were the case, his admission to heaven after his freezing would seem to depend on the happenstance whether he would many centuries later be found and thawed. It seems strange to me that a man's fate after his death could depend upon the actions of future humans like that.

This may be (all right -- it certainly is) a silly question. But I have the nagging feeling that there is some real issue buried somewhere in there that I'm not able to articulate more clearly. If this rambling question happens to trigger any thoughts, I'd be delighted to hear them.

Best regards,

CThomas

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 am

CThomas wrote:I'm very late to this party, but the topic of the interim disembodied state in heaven raises a question I have often thought about, and I'm curious what the answer is. I hold to the ordinary view that the disembodied soul enters heaven before the general resurrection, but I'm trying to figure out how the following thought experiment would work under that model.

It's a purely factual question, not exegetical. Suppose, for the sake of argument that thousands of years ago, a cave man had an unfortunate accident and managed to get frozen in a block of ice. Imagine that twenty-first century scientists dig the frozen guy out and manage to thaw and resuscitate him. I have no idea whether this is technologically plausible any time in the near future (and obviously I have no factual basis to suppose that there exists such a frozen cave man) but it is presumably at least a conceptual possibility that scientific progress will allow such a scenario to unfold. But where would the cave man have been during the interim thousands of years between his freezing and his revival? It seems unlikely that he would be brought to heaven only to be returned to the earth when the scientists thaw him. Right? Would he be the only person not to progress immediately to the afterlife between his earthly life and the general resurrection? What if such a man were frozen but never discovered and revived? Would he then go to heaven after his freezing? If that were the case, his admission to heaven after his freezing would seem to depend on the happenstance whether he would many centuries later be found and thawed. It seems strange to me that a man's fate after his death could depend upon the actions of future humans like that.

This may be (all right -- it certainly is) a silly question. But I have the nagging feeling that there is some real issue buried somewhere in there that I'm not able to articulate more clearly. If this rambling question happens to trigger any thoughts, I'd be delighted to hear them.

Best regards,

CThomas
I read a novel like this once, only it was a Roman gladiator who was exiled to the North and was accidentally quick frozen. He was discovered by when an oil drill uncovered his icy grave and was brought back to life by Soviet doctors. But it was just a novel, and I don't believe they dealt with where is soul spent the 1900 years.

There was a man who was brought back to life after 4 days, however. Where do you think Lazarus was during that time? Was he a special case who did not go to heaven or Abraham's bosom, or wherever, because Jesus was going to perform this miracle? Or is he one who did return from the dead, sent back from Father Abraham only to be disbelieved, as per the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus? Although, hmm, a lot of people followed Jesus because of Lazarus; enough that the chief priests plotted to put Lazarus to death (again.)

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:57 pm

CThomas wrote:If this rambling question happens to trigger any thoughts, I'd be delighted to hear them.
Hi CThomas
I think your scenario fails to take sufficient account of the sovereignty of God in being the sole determining factor on the length of a person’s life, so the man would only be able to be revived if it was the will of God.
Job 33:4 The Spirit of God made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
So if this man was revived, God would probably have a good reason for allowing it – in that case I can’t imagine God would not have admitted him into paradise (otherwise people may be given the wrong impression that there is no after-life, since we are here working on the premise that there in no soul-sleep. I guess we are assuming that this guy was faithful to God).
I think the whole thing would hinge on the express purposes of God rather than technological advances no matter how fantastic. Therefore I don’t think the man’s fate after his death would depend upon the actions of future humans, but rather on the plans of God.
Suzana

Return to “The Pentateuch”