Moses and the name of God.

_Jim from covina

Post by _Jim from covina » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 pm

yeah, that makes sense steve. That could be a possible answer, hadnt thought of it that way.

thanks, jim
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:40 pm

And Jim, I am wondering what Septuagint text you use.

Here is the online English translation of the Septuagint:

And I appeared to Abraam and Isaac and Jacob, being their God, but I did not manifest to them my name " Lord".

I also examined the Greek text, and found that the above is a correct translation, except that "make known to them" would be more literal than "manifest to them."

And now, I wish to make known to you some of the translations which render it as God not having made His name known to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob:

Darby
I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them

Douay
That appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, by the name of God Almighty: and my name ADONAI I did not shew them.

ESV
I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them.

JPS (Jewish Publication Society)
and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name Jehovah I made Me not known to them.

NASB
and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, LORD, I did not make Myself known to them.

NIV
I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them.

NRSV
I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name 'The LORD' I did not make myself known to them
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Jim from covina

Post by _Jim from covina » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:42 pm

Paidon, you said.

Notice it does not say that the Name was not known to them, but that Yahweh did not make his Name known to them.

And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, [having] Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the LORD, and called upon the name of the LORD. GEN 12

His name, i imagine is YHWH?? If so, then how did Abraham know it??

It seems that we are going in circles...........or maybe i am missing something. But the clear reading to me, seems to imply that they just didnt know God as YHWH, and moses was the first. But the text in Gen. contradicts that. I dont see how your reasoning solves this.

dazed and confused. jim
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:40 am

Reason:

Return to “The Pentateuch”