Sharing the Gospel with others

_schoel

Sharing the Gospel with others

Post by _schoel » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:51 am

Any advice/scripture on becoming more of an evangelist?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:48 am

Hi Schoel,

The way I see it, evangelism (preaching the gospel to unbelievers) seems to be a specific calling or gift of the Spirit (Acts 21:8, 2 Tim 4:5, Eph 4:11). However, I believe all of us are called to share our faith with others, both with words and deeds.

Matt 5:16
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
NKJV

We've all probably heard the saying: "Share the gospel, use words if necessary". I think there is some truth to that because if we're not first living what we believe, our testimony has no power.

In sharing the gospel, it's important to do so for the right motives and in the Lord's timing. I have had some unfortunate instances that I tried (in the flesh, and from a sense of "religious duty") to force a conversation about the gospel without waiting for the Lord to open that door. These conversations tend to be very confrontational or evasive and often times ruin any chances to share with that person (and anyone else listening) in the future :( . I believe that we are to be bold about our faith, but that it must be done in love (1 Cor 13).

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts.

God bless.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:25 am

I have had some unfortunate instances that I tried (in the flesh, and from a sense of "religious duty") to force a conversation about the gospel without waiting for the Lord to open that door.
What does it look like when the Lord opens a door?
How can we tell the difference between when
- our fear of man keeps us from sharing the gospel or,
- a door is open?

Some background :
The Holy Spirit shows me every day those around me who are lost and destined for eternal punishment. Yet I don't seem to share the Good news of Christ very much. I also don't seem to get many "open doors" either, but I wonder if that is because I value man's opinion more than I love the truth (Romans 7:24,25 and context echoes in my mind).

I do realize, however, that my life and actions must speak the gospel first and have been submitting myself to the Holy Spirit and the Word for that purpose. I trust that daily I'm begin transformed into the image of the Son.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 pm

Hi Schoel,

I don't know of a single believer who doesn't struggle with these questions at some point in their Christian life. On the one hand The Lord reveals to us that many are lost and few will ever find the Way (Matt 7:13-14) and that there aren't enough workers for the incredible harvest of souls to be won (Matt 9:37-38 ). On the other hand, it is revealed to us that everyone gets a fair chance to know and love God and nobody is without excuse (Rom 1:20-21, Acts 17:26-27).

It seems to me that the issue for the believer is not the amount of lost souls out there, but the willingness and faithfulness to be obedient to share as the Holy Spirit leads you to. My personal experience has been that when God wants me to verbally share the gospel with someone, He's made it glaringly obvious, like in the case of Philip the evangelist (Acts 8 ). Not that He verbally tells me to, but He puts in on my heart is such a way that I cannot ignore it. God knows who is open to recieve the truth and when. Our job, I believe, is to do what Peter said:

1 Peter 3:15-16
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; 16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.
NKJV

However, they need to first see that hope in you in how you conduct your life. Fear of man shouldn't even be a factor according to Peter.

Many evangelists would take issue with what I've said because it seems too passive. However, it's often the case that Christians see their particular calling as a universal calling, but that's not how I currently understand it. Mine is only one opinion and I could be wrong about this. I would definitely seek other input because my present calling is not that of an evangelist. But I do cherish those times I get to share the gospel with others. I won't deny that there is a certain "high" in it that can be addicting (in a good way of course) and contagious.

Anyway, I'm definitely not the authority on this. Hopefully someone else will post their opinions also.

God bless.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Anonymous

sharing the gospel

Post by _Anonymous » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:43 pm

Lately when I have shared the gospel the 2 people kept telling me
how they dont like "hypocrites"; church.

I told them I am not speaking of a religion or a people but a relationship with Christ. They look at me like I am speaking chinese......... Geez its getting harder to share they who hear are without excuse trying to blame others. satan, the deceiver, has blinded them so they cannot see.
I need to pray more for those I come in contact with and share with,
maybe I am planting/watering and God will increase.

Anyways, I share when I can but not enough.
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:03 am

friend wrote:Lately when I have shared the gospel the 2 people kept telling me
how they dont like "hypocrites"; church.

I told them I am not speaking of a religion or a people but a relationship with Christ. They look at me like I am speaking chinese......... Geez its getting harder to share they who hear are without excuse trying to blame others. satan, the deceiver, has blinded them so they cannot see.
I need to pray more for those I come in contact with and share with,
maybe I am planting/watering and God will increase.

Anyways, I share when I can but not enough.
I respond by saying I don't like hypocrites in the church either. I'd ask them if hypocrites in the government mean we shouldn't have a government either. Knowing people who go to church doesn't mean they actually are Christians. I would at least try to explain the gospel to them, kind of like Paul did in Acts 17. He started at the beginning of creation and man and moved to the resurrection of Christ.

I would also ask them to read the bible itself and not rely on hearsay. If they want to make an honest judgement, then they have to read it for themselves.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:28 pm

Yes, amen sean.
Reason:

_JJB

Post by _JJB » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Since I believe the bible when it says, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God, I like to quote scripture, and this text in particular:

Acts 2:22-39 (English Standard Version)
English Standard Version (ESV)
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

22"Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know-- 23this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. 24God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it. 25For David says concerning him,

"'I saw the Lord always before me,
for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
26therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
my flesh also will dwell in hope.
27For you will not abandon my soul to Hades,
or let your Holy One see corruption.
28You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will make me full of gladness with your presence.'

29"Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, 31he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. 32This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. 33Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. 34For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says,

"'The Lord said to my Lord,
Sit at my right hand,
35until I make your enemies your footstool.'

36Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."

37Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" 38And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself."

Thankfully, I also believe that it is God who calls us, so as long as I am faithful in my proclamation of God's word, which I can memorize, I don't have to bumble my way around the message. Those who have ears to hear, will hear the message.
Reason:
Aole Opala No

_JJB

Post by _JJB » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:57 pm

As for hypocrites in the church, there's always room for one more! :wink:
Reason:
Aole Opala No

Return to “General Questions”